DO school list for 2020 cycle - Retaking MCAT, more application advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MCSABS

Reaction score
23, White Male, ESL, PA resident, class of 2018
1 MCAT score: 502 (129/121!!/127/125), I am currently registered for April and will work on my ECs and possibly will be getting some research
3.6cGPA (with the first year GPA <2.7 and final year 4.0)
Can get an MD LOR from a doctor I shadowed, but no DO LOR

Clinical experience:
430 Hours of clinical volunteering
50 MD shadowing hours

Other ECs
80 Nonclinical volunteering hours in leadership positions at my school and mostly volunteering at campus organizations.

Schools I will apply to so far:

PCOM
VCOM
LECOM
KCOM

I have been preparing for 2 weeks now and have been doing mostly well on free Jack Westin passages I found on Reddit's r/MCAT. I really think that my main mistake was that I started to do practice exams the month before my exam. I have seen people get in with a 121 MCAT CARS (13 %tile now), but I don't think I should apply. If I get my CARS to at least a 126, what schools should I apply to? Also, what other ECs should I do?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We have almost the same stats, CARS is a killer..... I wish you luck.

Reactions: 1 user
Any chance you can retake the MCAT? If you get some more nonclinical volunteering and manage to bump your MCAT up to 507+ you'd have a good shot at MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need more clinical hours and shadowing. A DO LOR would go a long way for you. It's going to be tough for you to come back from your first MCAT for an MD school but I think if you get up to 505+ you can apply to any DO.

23, White Male, ESL, PA resident, class of 2018
1 MCAT score: 502 (129/121!!/127/125), I am currently registered for April and will work on my ECs and possibly will be getting some research
3.6cGPA (with the first year GPA <2.7 and final year 4.0)
Can get an MD LOR from a doctor I shadowed, but no DO LOR

Clinical experience:
430 Hours of clinical volunteering
50 MD shadowing hours

Other ECs
80 Nonclinical volunteering hours in leadership positions at my school and mostly volunteering at campus organizations.

Schools I will apply to so far:

PCOM
VCOM
LECOM
KCOM

I have been preparing for 2 weeks now and have been doing mostly well on free Jack Westin passages I found on Reddit's r/MCAT. I really think that my main mistake was that I started to do practice exams the month before my exam. I have seen people get in with a 121 MCAT CARS (13 %tile now), but I don't think I should apply. If I get my CARS to at least a 126, what schools should I apply to? Also, what other ECs should I do?

Thank you!
Come back when you have an MCAT score and then we can advise properly.