DO School List for mcat 29 gpa 3.6

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simmac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finalizing my school list on AACOMAS, and wondering if I should add any more schools just to be safe?
sGPA & cGPA= 3.6
MCAT= 29 (7,11,11)
-physician shadowing= 100 hours (half w/ DOs)
-volunteer work=>300 hours
-hospital/clinic work= >200 hours
-barely any research
-2 DO LORs; 2 science faculty LORs; no non-science faculty LORs...
-FYI, only want to apply to DO schools

1. DMUCOM
2. TUCOM-CA
3. WesternU/COMP Pomona
4. WesternU/COMP Oregon
5. TUCOM-NV
6. PNWU-COM
7. UNECOM
8. RVUCOM
9. NSUCOM
10. ATSU (KCOM)
11. LMU DCOM
12. LECOM- PA

13. KCUMB
14. LECOM- Bradenton

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for your input!! :)

I think you have a shot at any DO school, depending on your essays and your interviews. However, I would take NSU off your list, because they require 2 science LORs AND 1 non-science LOR. The rest of your list is fine. Don't think you need to add schools or remove any.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive plenty of interviews. I don't think you need to add more. Good luck!

I would request a LOR from a non-science professor that likes you. The truth is that they typically have more time open to write LORs than your science professors, and can get it turned around quickly. Open as many doors as possible.

Thanks so much Karling and Bokeh!

@j4pac The problem is that all of my non-science university classes were taught by grad students or adjunct faculty...so I'm thinking I'll just apply to schools that don't require a non-science LOR...I should still be fine, I think..?lol

@j4pac The problem is that all of my non-science university classes were taught by grad students or adjunct faculty...so I'm thinking I'll just apply to schools that don't require a non-science LOR...I should still be fine, I think..?lol

Thank makes sense. I think you'll be fine

I was under the impression that getting a non-science LOR from a grad student who taught the class was okay. Is that not the case?

I believe that it would be. The way I see it is...what does he have to lose? There is only one medical school asking for it...so it is the only school I would send it to. Unless you are that tight for cash, the only downside is the school rejecting you...which is essentially the same thing as not applying in the first place. The LOR is very little legwork on the part of the applicant.

I think that he will be fine without applying to that school...but I know if I was in his shoes, I would get the LOR and apply. If I get rejected I would want to be sure that it was due to me not having the right stuff, and not because I didn't apply to enough programs.

Thanks for that @j4pac ...I might just do that since I liked the school. Quick question, would you recommend sending out the non-science letter (written by grad student) as an extra lor to the other schools also so as to look like a more well-rounded applicant (plus, the grad student knows me more and could prob write a better lor than the science lors..)?

Thanks for that @j4pac ...I might just do that since I liked the school. Quick question, would you recommend sending out the non-science letter (written by grad student) as an extra lor to the other schools also so as to look like a more well-rounded applicant (plus, the grad student knows me more and could prob write a better lor than the science lors..)?

It would depend on the strength of the LOR. If I did well in the class and I expected that the professor would speak highly about my personality and work ethic...then I would. When you ask for a LOR...always ask "Would you feel comfortable writing me a STRONG letter of recommendation?" A weak LOR does you no good. Only submit LORs you are certain will be strong.

Reactions: 1 user
Suggest adding CCOM, MUCOM and PCOM, maybe VCOM

1. DMUCOM
2. TUCOM-CA
3. WesternU/COMP Pomona
4. WesternU/COMP Oregon
5. TUCOM-NV
6. PNWU-COM
7. UNECOM
8. RVUCOM
9. NSUCOM
10. ATSU (KCOM)
11. LMU DCOM
12. LECOM- PA

13. KCUMB
14. LECOM- Bradenton
[/QUOTE]

It doesn't matter if the professor is adjunct/associate/ or even a part-time instructor as long as they have a PhD it doesn't matter. Check, maybe one of your grad students received a PhD recently.

I got into Nova this cycle without a non-science academic letter so I don't think they are strict about that. Although they may expect one from someone who is appyling straight out of undergrad.

At Nova, "Any variations of the admissions requirements can be approved by the dean". You can give them a call to ask about it.

Thanks everyone for your input!