DO School performance in NRMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know the official spots don't show up til thursday, and the school reports dont show up til the 21st. But I'm sure some schools are leaking good info early, so lets go ahead and share this info here! (And keep the thread alive, hopefully, until the 17th and 21st).

So far all I know is what our school just release in that their "just over 50" people who applied through to the NRMP had only 12 scramble, and of the 12, 2 had already matched scrambled to the AOA prior to monday and somehow the paperwork just didnt remove them from the NRMP yet.

So pre-existing fact, our "only applied NRMP" program was 46 people and I guess (since they released 'just over 50' that 5 or 6 people went to the NRMP who didnt match AOA. So, TouroCOM is clocking in at 80% or better (10 scrambles for >50 people) match rate in the NRMP match. wooooo.

Members don't see this ad.

Will post info when/if we get anything official from the school.

Anecdotally though, from those classmates I know and have heard from, just about all of them have matched. Doesn't mean much but I think we'll have a strong showing this year.

Will post info when/if we get anything official from the school.

Anecdotally though, from those classmates I know and have heard from, just about all of them have matched. Doesn't mean much but I think we'll have a strong showing this year.

Yeah..."matched" doesnt mean much to me. I am sure the majority of the students were smart enough to apply to back-ups...like family practice. So they "matched" but did they get that General surgery, EM, Ortho..etc spot over a random family practice back-up?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah..."matched" doesnt mean much to me. I am sure the majority of the students were smart enough to apply to back-ups...like family practice. So they "matched" but did they get that General surgery, EM, Ortho..etc spot over a random family practice back-up?

A handful of ones I talked with did not do this. They only applied to programs in the specialty they wanted and if that didn't work out were taking their chances in scrambling for a prelim spot or DO internship.

I'm also curious in how common that practice actually is but, at least from ones I know, wasn't that common.

A handful of ones I talked with did not do this. They only applied to programs in the specialty they wanted and if that didn't work out were taking their chances in scrambling for a prelim spot or DO internship.

I'm also curious in how common that practice actually is but, at least from ones I know, wasn't that common.

How does it make sense to apply to FP as backup when what you really want to do is orthopedics or general surgery? Two completely different fields!

I was under the impression that most people did NOT do this because they would rather try their luck at scramble or internship spot than be stuck doing FP.

EDIT: I meant to quote the other guy, not you nlax.

How does it make sense to apply to FP as backup when what you really want to do is orthopedics or general surgery? Two completely different fields!

I was under the impression that most people did NOT do this because they would rather try their luck at scramble or internship spot than be stuck doing FP.

EDIT: I meant to quote the other guy, not you nlax.

That's kind of my thought as well. I'm sure it happens but everyone I know that was pretty dead set on their choice and spent a LOT of effort in away rotations, taking USMLE and doing well, etc.... And no one I know put in a "backup" field.

I know a couple of folks who didn't get their field in the DO match and ended up scrambling into IM spots with the thought of going into a future fellowship, but even they didn't have IM/FP "backups".

At least for the people that I know in the MD match at PCOM, very few put in backup fields into their rank list. Most felt they would rather scramble into a one year DO position if they didn't match.

At least for the people that I know in the MD match at PCOM, very few put in backup fields into their rank list. Most felt they would rather scramble into a one year DO position if they didn't match.

yea that's exactly what i had been hearing too. Plus the pretty high rate of scrambling DOs in the NRMP makes me think that ranking backups is more infrequent than not.

Never applied to back ups and prelim spots matched categorical on monday. Still cannot believe it :):):)

Yep, thats what I would do if it did not work out for me.

Caught a glance of Tourocom's match list "unofficially". Pretty good, I'd say. I saw 2 General Surgery matches. One at Sinai baltimore, I don't remember the other one. Also saw 2 Anesthesia matches, one at St. Luke's Roosevelt the other at Mayo clinic :eek:

Congrats to everyone matching!

Hopefully our school will get some sort of official list out soon. The handful of friends I've talked with seem to have gotten their top 1 or 2 spot. I know of a couple MD gas, couple MD Gen surg, handful of ER, some good MD IM spots, and a PM&R at Hopkins.

integrated plastics from kcumb at KU

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a couple of folks who didn't get their field in the DO match and ended up scrambling into IM spots with the thought of going into a future fellowship, but even they didn't have IM/FP "backups".

nlax30, I resent your notion that DOs can only go into FP or IM. Are you a backup? Probably not, but please to make sure not to hurt feelings we thank you all.

nlax30, I resent your notion that DOs can only go into FP or IM. Are you a backup? Probably not, but please to make sure not to hurt feelings we thank you all.

Woah, where did that come from?

You do realize that nlax is a DO himself, right?

The original discussion was that somebody (not nlax) insisted that DOs "matching" in MD match matched to their backup FP/IM spots and not their original non-FP/IM fields.

So please read other posts before making such bad assumptions about what the poster meant in their reply.

UMDNJ had a pretty good match list this year. There were a large number of EM spots, some in California, Florida, NYC. There were several anestheia, PM&R, orthopedic surgery, urological surgery, and a few Rads.

Some of the places that we matched into were Johns Hopkins, , Thomas Jefferson, Pennsylvania hospital, DuPont for Peds, UCSF and about 9 prematches.

I do not remember the entire list, but it was pretty strong. Not a large number into FP.

As for people matching into ACGME spots, about 1/2 of my class matched into the allopathic match and a large proportion was for non IM or FP spots. these include: anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine, ob/gyn, Pathology, Peds, PM&R. Therefor, this debunks that statement.

Last edited:
He's just upset he had to scramble... ;)

His post was definitely out of bounds, but your post kind of turned me off too. Anyone who had to scramble this week is probably feeling pretty low. Rubbing it in seems like a potshot to me.

His post was definitely out of bounds, but your post kind of turned me off too. Anyone who had to scramble this week is probably feeling pretty low. Rubbing it in seems like a potshot to me.

Alright, before someone gets banned, or one of us gets flamed, or both.... The two of us are good friends and were just messing with each other.

And he didn't scramble, he actually got a great spot.

Alright, before someone gets banned, or one of us gets flamed, or both.... The two of us are good friends and were just messing with each other.

Apologies :)

I read about it. I feel so bad for those people. I heard they're doing something new with the scramble next year. I hope it's more humane than it is now.

does anybody have their school's match lists yet?

Yea, I'm curious to see Western's list. I'll post it if it isn't already up and I happen to come across it.

Thanks nlax, I was about to respond to this. We are great friends and so our our kids. Probably should have posted this sooner. The scramble did look pretty brutal and it looks like maybe NRMP or ERAS are to blame. Congrats to all those who matched. From the looks of it, LECOM-B had a pretty good year. Hopefully the class lists will come out soon.

Looks like the overall data is in. Approximately 72% of DO's matched. Compared to 94% US Allo's, 50% US-Citizen FMG's, 40% non-US-Citizen FMG's. Not a bad showing. I do wish they broke this down by specialty, might be more relevant in a lot of ways.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/2011Adv Data Tbl.pdf

Amazing! Where did you see this listed?

It's also on the plastics list on SDN and on the KCUMB facebook group. I was in this guy's class in medical school but he's now a year behind me because he did an anatomy fellowship.

Yea, I'm curious to see Western's list. I'll post it if it isn't already up and I happen to come across it.

I've seen it (google spreadsheet), but they are currently limiting access to it because too many people have been editing it concurrently, which causes issues.

Let me say that Western did strongly, sending
~10 Emergency Medicine
6-8 anesthesia
1 neurosurg
2 gen surg
2 rads
1 ENT/Facial Plastics
~3-4 ortho.

I know at least one 2010 who matched into PGY-2 year of derm, as well. For those of us who are internal or family medicine, like myself, we matched into some strong academic programs like Loma Linda University, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC San Diego, and Stanford-affiliated programs.

Still have a lot of the class left to report!

I've seen it (google spreadsheet), but they are currently limiting access to it because too many people have been editing it concurrently, which causes issues.

Let me say that Western did strongly, sending
~10 Emergency Medicine
6-8 anesthesia
1 neurosurg
2 gen surg
2 rads
1 ENT/Facial Plastics
~3-4 ortho.

I know at least one 2010 who matched into PGY-2 year of derm, as well. For those of us who are internal or family medicine, like myself, we matched into some strong academic programs like Loma Linda University, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC San Diego, and Stanford-affiliated programs.

Still have a lot of the class left to report!
Thanks for sharing and congrats on your IM spot!!

Looks like the overall data is in. Approximately 72% of DO's matched. Compared to 94% US Allo's, 50% US-Citizen FMG's, 40% non-US-Citizen FMG's. Not a bad showing. I do wish they broke this down by specialty, might be more relevant in a lot of ways.

http://www.nrmp.org/data/2011Adv Data Tbl.pdf

So correct me if I'm wrong, but when it says 72% of DOs matched, but 25% withdrew, does that mean withdrawing because they matched in the AOA match?

So correct me if I'm wrong, but when it says 72% of DOs matched, but 25% withdrew, does that mean withdrawing because they matched in the AOA match?

What it appears to be: It's that 72% of people who *did not* withdraw prior to the match matched. The 25% is the percentage of people who began a file with the NRMP who withdrew (almost certainly matched AOA) before the match date. (if you look, matched and unmatched are out of 100% of finished applicants. while the withdrew and did not rank are out of the 'total' at the bottom)

Stringer Bell is right!! Western did really well, and matched a lot of people in California.

Some additions: PMNR matches were incredible and matched at Mayo Clinic, UT Southwestern, and Stanford!!!

Anesthesia at the Cleveland Clinic, Virgina Mason, and Riverside County in Cali!

Also, we had 10 OB/GYN matches; 2 AOA and the rest ACGME at Ohio State, UMDNJ, UT Memphis, Loma Linda, Harbor UCLA etc.

:D Hooray for the Class of 2011.

Yay Western!

Anesthesia: 5 (including Penn, Temple, Thomas Jefferson)
Emergency Medicine: 8 (including: Thomas Jefferson, St. Barnabas, UCSF)
EM/IM: 2
EM/FM: 1
Family Medicine: 16
General Surgery: 1
Internal Medicine: 22 (including Cleveland Clinic, John's Hopkins)
Ob/Gyn: 9
Orthopedic Surgery: 2
Pathology: 1
Pediatrics: 8 (including A.I. DuPont)
PM&R: 3 (Including Cornell, Temple)
Psychiatry: 5 (including Tufts)
Radiology: 2
Urology: 1

I've seen tcom positions (which are awesome) but does anyone know locations?