DO school rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetz1180

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I dont know if this question has been addressed before or not, but where would i be able to find out which DO schools are the best...thanx

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if there is an official source that ranks schools, I don't think so. Pass rates on the boards and attrition rates are often used to evaluate schools. I do know that NSU-COM received AMSA's Paul R. Wright Excellence in Medical Education Award in 1997. They are the first and only DO school to receive this prestigous award which has historically gone to ivy league allopathic schools. It doesn't mean that they are the best, but I do think it says something about the quality of education being delivered there.

thanx CVPA...i tried to do a search, but i got the same posts, that there is no offical ranking system

Members don't see this ad :)
An official ranking for DO schools doesn't exist because it is difficult to arrive at an agreement as to which DO schools are best. There are many factors that can influence the quality of a school. If I'm a primary care fanatic, then I might believe the DO school with the strongest rural medicine training is the best school. If I'm a research fanatic, then I might believe the DO school with the most research grant money is the best school. If I'm a specialty care fanatic, then I might believe the DO school with the greatest availability to academic tertiary care hospitals is the best school. If I'm an OMM fanatic, then I might believe the DO school with the most renouned OMM faculty is the best school. And the possiblities go on.

do a search on SDN for DO rankings, that should give you a little back ground. Other than that, all I can add is that some schools are better than others at specific things. Do your research about the top ten things that are important to you for attending medical school, and then decide on the schools that meet those criteria.
Toran