DO School rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preludexl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, just wanted to know what the unofficial ranking for DO schools. US News doesnt do DO rankings. I heard Touro in SF was easier to get into than Western U and so forth. West Coast easier than East Coast in general? Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

You are right there aren't any DO school rankings in US News and World Report. As far as Cali schools being easier, I'll give you some stats (from COMP and TUCOM websites) and you can decide from there. I've read before that TUCOM has one of the highest average GPA and 2nd highest MCAT of all COM's.

TUCOM Class of 2004 Average Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.4
Overal MCAT: 27

COMP
Overall GPA: 3.3
Science GPA: 3.3
Average MCAT: 8.69/section

All COMS (1999 First Year Students)
Overall GPA: 3.40
Science GPA: 3.35
Average MCAT: 25

not to make this a touro vs comp thing, but i think touro has a lot more applications than comp as well (even though it's a new school). a bit higher GPA and MCAT and more apps ...that would make me question whether touro is actually easier to get in to or not.

Members don't see this ad :)
From the mouth of the director of admissions of TUCOM... He said that their standards for you to even receive an interview is much higher than any other schools... The reason is that they are still trying to make a name for themselves.... Just wanted to share that....

i don't doubt that Tucom is trying to build an excellent school and are on the right track...but they still have a lot to prove.

from what i gathered from my interviews, etc. UHS and PCOM are up there on the "list". and word of mouth tell me that MSU-COM, CCOM and UNECOM have excellent reputations...but i wouldn't necessarily say that west coast schools are easier to get into than east coast schools.

can't wait to get started!!!
~j
COMP '05

I would say that I agree with Jay...and just for the record...

"I declined my interview at TUCOM..and will be attending COMP!"

Just my 2 cents....

I declined TUCOM for KCOM. After realizing that TUCOM didn't have much of a OMM department I decided to go to KCOM.
This thread has been posted so many times it's funny now to see it here again...
Toran

CCOM, PCOM, and MSUCOM all do very well in both the Allopathic and Osteopathic match.

With regards to the COMP vs. TUCOM thing, I have written a lot on the topic in the past so I'm not going to write much more.

Originally posted by kermit da frog:
•not to make this a touro vs comp thing, but i think touro has a lot more applications than comp as well (even though it's a new school). a bit higher GPA and MCAT and more apps ...that would make me question whether touro is actually easier to get in to or not.•

Kermit - I'm not really sure that this makes sense. We had more applications, higher MCAT & GPA, and much fewer students accepted. Doesn't that suggest that TUCOM is HARDER to get into?

Originally posted by pyoj:
•i don't doubt that Tucom is trying to build an excellent school and are on the right track...but they still have a lot to prove.

can't wait to get started!!!
~j
COMP '05•

I'm not sure what else we have left to prove. We did well in both the Allopathic and Osteopathic match. We only had one person who did not match in the Allopathic match and it was because he applied for a very competitive specialty. 50% of our students got their top choice in the Allopathic match. The ones who did not get a PGY-1 match were the ones who went through the osteopathic match.

TUCOM Allopathic Match Results
TUCOM Osteopathic Match Results

These results are for the 63 students who are part of TUCOM's first class. What makes these results even more impressive is the fact that we were part of the first class, program directors have not seen students from TUCOM before, and the school is new. Imagine how we will do in later matches. I'm sorry but I think COMP still has a lot to prove. Most of what I learned about COMP was from prgoram directors, friends at COMP, graduates of COMP, and students who rotated through COMP. I won't go into that unless someone wants me to. I have many friends who went to COMP so I don't want to make this a competition thing. On a percentage basis (since we have 1/3 of the students that COMP has for the class of 2001), I think we did better than COMP. Also, FYI, your match results for COMP '01 on you unofficial website is full of inaccuracies (this was told to me by several COMP '01 students). The rotations at Pacific and Downey are not very good. Many, many COMP students complain about these rotations and you are forced to do many there. Arrowhead is a good place since it is also affiliated with UCI. Also, who wants to drive all the way to Arrowhead just to do a decent COMP rotation. Yes, the TUCOM rotations aren't great but we also have the benefit of surrounding hospitals such as Stanford, UCSF, and UC Davis which many of us rotated and excelled though. I'm wondering why it is that TUCOM has not graduated a class, yet we receive more applications, accept fewer students, and have higher MCAT and GPA averages. Makes you wonder who has something to prove.

Originally posted by yosh:
•I would say that I agree with Jay...and just for the record...

"I declined my interview at TUCOM..and will be attending COMP!"

Just my 2 cents....•

For the record, I never even considered COMP. COMP has attracted better applicants since I applied but at the time the average GPA was 3.1 and average MCAT was just under 8. The rotations and affiliations are still the same.

I think that all DO students should encourage their school to post official match results online. All DO schools usually do much better in the match than people think. I think COMP is a very good school but there is still a lot of room for improvement. TUCOM also has a lot of room for improvement but we have already done just as much or more than COMP in a fraction of the time that it took COMP.

Originally posted by Toran:
•I declined TUCOM for KCOM. After realizing that TUCOM didn't have much of a OMM department I decided to go to KCOM.
This thread has been posted so many times it's funny now to see it here again...
Toran•

I concede that TUCOM is not the best DO school for OMM. TUCOM does have very few links to osteopathic internships other than its own. I'm not saying we do poorly because out of about the about 9 people who did the AOA match exclusively (both PGY-1 and PGY-2), 3 got Orthopedic Surgery, two got General Surgery, and one got Emergency Medicine. Some of those specialty matches were just listed as Traditional Internship but they lead to the residency.

mad props to those first year TUCOM grads. and their matches.

i was quite impressed with the graduates from COMP as well. leaves me with a warm fuzzy feeling inside. :D

later days.
~j
COMP '05

tiger,

sorry, i wasn't clear in my post. i agree with you, the fact that tucom has a higher gpa and mcat and more apps makes me think it's harder to get in to. i was questioning a previous poster's contention.

bye now!

I don't know that one school is really better than another...I think it more depends on a person's needs and goals....and what the school can provide...
Different adcoms look for different things....nothing is purely a numbers game(gpa/MCAT)...so to think that a school bases admission standards on solely numbers is not really the "complete" picture...

This is just to make sure the record is straight since there appears to be some confusion. The numbers for COMP can be found under the "Demographics" section under "Admissions" on Western University's website.

For the class of 2004:

Overall gpa: 3.4
Nonscience gpa: 3.47
Science gpa: 3.33

Average MCAT: 8.69

COMP has an entering class each year of over 180 students. With the caliber of my classmates (which is astounding), I can honestly say that if COMP's entering classes were only 100 students, its numbers would increase. Fortunately, numbers are not the only thing that is weighed in the admissions decision. The talents that my classmates contribute are truly amazing and diverse.

You can throw out numbers or claim that one school is more difficult to gain admission to all day long. What does it prove? Nothing. Great students, interns, residents, and doctors are made from within and by using the education received to its maximum potential. For my physician I would pick someone who knows how to deal with people and can take care of my needs over numbers any day.

I agree with the above post...there is absolutely no reason to get into a "PISSING CONTEST" over who's dad can kick whose dad's ass...

People are were they are because they want to be there...and if not..then they have BIGGER issues than this to deal with....

I'm reading all you posts and laughing. You guys are still in shark attack pre-med mode. Go to a school you like. Forget about the numbers. There is a body of medical information out there that has to be learned no matter where you go. We had a speaker come in and give us the stats of a study that showed that where you went to school was at the bottom of a list of 20 things residency programs look for in candidates.
Simma down now...
Nicko
UHS-COM 2003

Originally posted by drnick:
•I'm reading all you posts and laughing. You guys are still in shark attack pre-med mode. Go to a school you like. Forget about the numbers. There is a body of medical information out there that has to be learned no matter where you go. We had a speaker come in and give us the stats of a study that showed that where you went to school was at the bottom of a list of 20 things residency programs look for in candidates.
Simma down now...
Nicko
UHS-COM 2003•

Amen to that--why people feel that they have to post such competitive nonsense is beyond me. If you have a great opinion of your school, by all means, post it.

It is one thing to have pride in your school. It is entirely another thing when it is at the expense of another person or institution.

I just wanted to let you guys know that US News does rank Osteopathic Medical schools. They only print the top 12 med schools and the others are on their website. My school, OSU-COM made 3 of the lists, 16th in Rural medicine, 23rd in Family medicine, and 37th in Primary care. I also saw some other Osteopathic schools on the list.

here is the link, http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/bcmed.htm

Michael

I think people were looking for Osteopathic medical school within themselves (among other Osteopathic med schools) not among the the specialties.... Thanks for sharing that though.... :cool:

Hey all, I today I got a post from the AMSA premeds listserve that the premed portion of the AMSA website has a ranking of med schools, both allopathic and osteopathic. these are based on student surveys, so if you want a "feel" for what the students themselves think about a school, it looks like a pretty good site. I took a "gander" myself, but a LOT more med students need to get over there and submit surveys before it will be a decent tool for helping one decide between schools.

So.....med students, hop over and post!

Thanks!

mompremed

mompremed, please post the site that you mentioned. Also, if this matters to anyone AZCOM had a 100% pass rate on Step 1 and an 98.8% pass rate on step 2 this last year.