DO school rotation policies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DOwnage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Although I am a pre-med, I posted this topic in this forum specifically because I figure that current osteopathic students would know this better than anyone else.

I met a student on rotations not too long ago who was traveling from rotation to rotation his specific field of interest. I asked him some more details about it, and from what I gathered, it seemed as though his school did not limit him from rotating through the same specialty as many times as he wanted. At the same time, I've heard certain schools limit the amount of times you can rotate through a specialty that interests you.

This is a big selling point for me because with osteopathic residencies, it sounds like it's really important to rotate through the ones you like so you have a good shot of matching.

I'm not trying to avoid doing research, but I honestly would have done a search on the forum if I knew how to phrase this subject properly. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share information from their specific schools about their elective rotations policy?

Members don't see this ad.

you'll have a set of core rotations which you have to do. Then you will get selectives/electives, which you can choose what you want to do.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I meant can anyone share specific info about their schools or schools at which they interviewed about the elective rotations?

Ie. School X only lets you rotate through a specific specialty twice.

School Y lets you rotate through a specific specialty unlimited times.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if I wasn't clear - I meant can anyone share specific info about their schools or schools at which they interviewed about the elective rotations?

Ie. School X only lets you rotate through a specific specialty twice.

School Y lets you rotate through a specific specialty unlimited times.

Schools don't care about this. You are an adult you pick what suits you best as long as you do the required CORE. I did 2 pathology rotations because I like path, not because I wanted to be a pathologist

Schools don't care about this. You are an adult you pick what suits you best as long as you do the required CORE. I did 2 pathology rotations because I like path, not because I wanted to be a pathologist

This is definitely not true for my school. At CCOM, you can do an unlimited amount of elective rotations in primary care specialties (ob/gyn, peds, family). Aside from core rotations you are allowed only 2 electives in a particular subspecialty that is not considered primary care (ie cardio, GI, pathology, psych, derm, etc..). Good question, and its something that is definitely important to consider.

This is definitely not true for my school. At CCOM, you can do an unlimited amount of elective rotations in primary care specialties (ob/gyn, peds, family). Aside from core rotations you are allowed only 2 electives in a particular subspecialty that is not considered primary care (ie cardio, GI, pathology, psych, derm, etc..). Good question, and its something that is definitely important to consider.

This may have changed since its been six years since I was in rotations. I was at LECOM during a time when they were expanding their class size dramatically and I think at the time the school was just happy to have students placed in rotations at all. The less work the rotation office had to do at that time was fine by them since one office was doing both erie and bradenton and trying to place close to 700 students in rotations each month.