DO schools and international student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cck3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I saw one thread regarding international students applying to DO schools and there was no reply. I'm just curious, how lenient are DO schools toward international students? My ultimate goal is really to become a physician, and I'm really not interested in the higher up residencies like derm, rad, etc etc. and honestly, the two letters MD or DO in front of my name is no big deal with me, and I also believe if that shouldn't even bother anyone if their true intention is to become a good physician who can help other people. I'm interested in doing internal medicine and hopefully get a fellowship in a specialized area.

Okay, I went a little off topic there, so the bottom line question is that I know a lot of MD medical schools are anal about citizenship status, but does the same rule apply to D.O schools? If not, can anyone provide a list of "international friendly" D.O schools please? And why is it that a lot of international students are not considering D.O as an alternative way to get their medical degree? Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

do you mind me asking where you guys are from?

UNE had folks from Africa and Canada at least. I don't have any specifics about the requirements for international students though. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some "international friendly" schools will require tuition+fees upfront or proof that you will be able to pay the fees make them "international unfriendly." Research the schools well before wasting time+money applying.

Hi, I saw one thread regarding international students applying to DO schools and there was no reply. I'm just curious, how lenient are DO schools toward international students? My ultimate goal is really to become a physician, and I'm really not interested in the higher up residencies like derm, rad, etc etc. and honestly, the two letters MD or DO in front of my name is no big deal with me, and I also believe if that shouldn't even bother anyone if their true intention is to become a good physician who can help other people. I'm interested in doing internal medicine and hopefully get a fellowship in a specialized area.

Okay, I went a little off topic there, so the bottom line question is that I know a lot of MD medical schools are anal about citizenship status, but does the same rule apply to D.O schools? If not, can anyone provide a list of "international friendly" D.O schools please? And why is it that a lot of international students are not considering D.O as an alternative way to get their medical degree? Thank You

Hi cck3,

I am an international student myself. I applied for almost all DO schools and I would say Nova, KCUMB, both Mid-westerns, DMU, KCOM, Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM and Western are very international-friendly (I got accepted into most of these schools, got interview invites at all). I'd stay away from LECOM, especially LECOM-Bradenton since they told me they accept international students so that I sent in my secondary check, then they reject me for my international status. Shady business, I know. Other schools, in my opinion, have a little more in-state preference, like TCOM, PCOM, OUCOM, MSU-COM, etc.

About why not many international students go the DO route, I think it is because they are not familiar with it. I only got to know about it a year and a half ago. Hope this helps :D PM me if you want more details about my application/stats

Hi cck3,

I am an international student myself. I applied for almost all DO schools and I would say Nova, KCUMB, both Mid-westerns, DMU, KCOM, Touro-NY, LMU-DCOM and Western are very international-friendly (I got accepted into most of these schools, got interview invites at all). I'd stay away from LECOM, especially LECOM-Bradenton since they told me they accept international students so that I sent in my secondary check, then they reject me for my international status. Shady business, I know. Other schools, in my opinion, have a little more in-state preference, like TCOM, PCOM, OUCOM, MSU-COM, etc.

About why not many international students go the DO route, I think it is because they are not familiar with it. I only got to know about it a year and a half ago. Hope this helps :D PM me if you want more details about my application/stats

Ditto what Lukat said. This was the same experience I had back when I applied down to LECOM-Bradenton returning my secondary check :laugh:

@UBCvan - I'm from Korea

@Lukat - Thanks a lot man. Another thing about DO schools (sorry I'm just bombarding you with questions), I considered applying to "regular"(referring to MD) medical schools, but the statistics are just ........ very discouraging. Is this the same for DO schools?

@UBCvan - I'm from Korea

@Lukat - Thanks a lot man. Another thing about DO schools (sorry I'm just bombarding you with questions), I considered applying to "regular"(referring to MD) medical schools, but the statistics are just ........ very discouraging. Is this the same for DO schools?

I PM'ed you

I am an international student and I got accepted at LECOM-Erie. But not sure if I wanna go there especially with the SDN reviews and now that I read this thread...

Hi Lukat
thanks for your helpful thread. I am an international student and I was just wondering if you could me some statistics on what gpa and Mcat would be competitive for international students. I know they say 3.0 and up but I was thinking that it applies more to US students

thanks in advance.

3.0 is noncompetitive even for US students all while international students are expected to have higher stats

3.0 is noncompetitive even for US students all while international students are expected to have higher stats
I figured that 3.0 would be the bottom line. I am a BMB (biochemistry and molecular biology major) senior as of right now my gpa is 3.56 science and 3.67 over all . I was wondering if that would be competitive enough

I figured that 3.0 would be the bottom line. I am a BMB (biochemistry and molecular biology major) senior as of right now my gpa is 3.56 science and 3.67 over all . I was wondering if that would be competitive enough

It generally does not give you any points for having a harder major (in other words it does not excuse one from getting a good GPA). You GPA is fine, however.

See the post above from @Lukat as to which schools to apply to.

If you haven't taken the MCAT yet and are not scheduled to take it in January, it is not possible at this time to say what score will be competitive with the new MCAT.

Hi Lukat
thanks for your helpful thread. I am an international student and I was just wondering if you could me some statistics on what gpa and Mcat would be competitive for international students. I know they say 3.0 and up but I was thinking that it applies more to US students

thanks in advance.
You'll have more luck if you apply the 'call' feature (@ insert user name) or if you PM the individual. Your gpas look fine, though. I met Canadians on the trail with similar averages.