Do schools ask if you have any criminal convictions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anon00

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm posting this under a new name. A few years ago I was convicted of a rather serious felony (classified as a violent crime, although my crime was not actually violent). I am currently going through the process to have it pardoned. Pardons are granted to ex-offendors who have demonstrated rehabilitation and a standard of contructive behavior. The pardon does NOT seal my record, my felony will show along with my pardon. I have found that my state (CA) does not have any licensure restrictions if a pardon is granted. My greatest concern is getting into a dental school; even with my competitive stats I know many dental schools will look at my conviction as a black mark that I can not recover from. I know the AADSAS does not ask about criminal records, is this question standard on most secondary apps? What schools have asked about this at the interview?

I sincerely appreciate any advice you have :)

Members don't see this ad.

Anon00 said:
Hello,

I'm posting this under a new name. A few years ago I was convicted of a rather serious felony (classified as a violent crime, although my crime was not actually violent). I am currently going through the process to have it pardoned. Pardons are granted to ex-offendors who have demonstrated rehabilitation and a standard of contructive behavior. The pardon does NOT seal my record, my felony will show along with my pardon. I have found that my state (CA) does not have any licensure restrictions if a pardon is granted. My greatest concern is getting into a dental school; even with my competitive stats I know many dental schools will look at my conviction as a black mark that I can not recover from. I know the AADSAS does not ask about criminal records, is this question standard on most secondary apps? What schools have asked about this at the interview?

not in interviews.....but on secondaries i believe i had to check the box for not being convicted on a few if not all.....hard to recall....go for it though....have a convincing explanation and maybe a lawyer write something for you to be sent to the schools

Some schools will ask you on the secondary application, and some schools wont. At this point in time, theres really not much you can do. Just prove to the schools that you have learned your lesson and that it will be pardoned. You can be sure that it will come up during the interview. It won't necessarily exclude you from being admitted into dental school, but it may be a slight hurdle you will have to overcome if you really want to become a dentist. Just explain everything on your application and hope that the admissions committee's will give you a chance. Good luck with everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, some schools use your secondary fee for a criminal background check . . .

Some schools do ask you for your past crminal convictions, but they also give you room to explain your situation.

Anon00 said:
Hello,

As far as I know, every single student undergoes a criminal background check at most if not all medical and dental schools. You actually pay for it, it is under a list of required fees. They ask you on most secondary apps, and I don't think that they will admit you until you have it pardoned. I would call the dental schools or talk to a dean. A violent crime record is very serious when you are working in a healthcare profession.

Here is what Oregon Health Sciences Univ Dental School says on their website:

Criminal History Reviews: Admitted applicants must complete a criminal offender inquiry and undergo a criminal history review as part of the matriculation process. Prior conviction does not necessarily disqualify an admitted applicant form matriculation. The admitted applicant has the right to inspect and challenge the results of the inquiry. Information about federal civil rights law and arrest records may be obtained through the Bureau of Labor and Industries.

Anon00 said:
Hello,

Actually the dean of admissions at UPENN said they'll do background check before you start dental school. Sorry buddy with a felony, I highly doubt any school will accept you.

UCLA secondary does

Don't listen to people with negative words. I am thankful that they are not the ones who are making the decisions. Do best you can. You worked hard for your DAT and GPA and to stand where you are standing right now. This is what you want to do with your life (become a dentist). Like you are planning to, getting a pardon is really helpful. When its time, you will give a very good explanation to the school. I don't know you personally and I have no clue what happened in your case but I believe in second chances alot and I know there are so many people out there who agree with me.

Good Luck and Best Wishes :thumbup:

Anon00 said:
I'm posting this under a new name. A few years ago I was convicted of a rather serious felony (classified as a violent crime, although my crime was not actually violent)....
TX_OMS!?!?!?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you can show that you turned your life around you may have a chance but you had better get good letters of rec that reflect on your character as well as your schooling. The other thing to consider is if drugs were related to the conviction you may have a difficult time getting federal finacial aid. I had a stupid arrest for underage drinking 12 years ago when I was 20 and even that comes back to haunt me every now and then. Good luck.

Even if you get into a dental school and finish it's cariculum, you run into serious problems when it comes time to get certified because many states will NOT ALLOW someone with a felony record to hold any kind of medical liscence. You should look into it where you intend to practice before you go to all of the time, touble, and expense.
Just an FYI

but i think it will be ok(the license issue) if you get the rehabilitation certification. the state cannot deny you if you have a rehab. cert.

Something else to consider, if the conviction involved any sort of drug activity, you'll be in for a real joyride when it comes time to apply for a DEA number.

toofache32 said:
TX_OMS!?!?!?
Look, your mother said she liked autoerotic asphyxiation...and clum babies.

So does anyone have a final word about speeding tickets?? I know they're not a felony, but can dental schools see them on your record?? Please answer!

I'mFillingFine said:
So does anyone have a final word about speeding tickets?? I know they're not a felony, but can dental schools see them on your record?? Please answer!

I know Harvard gives a negative point for every speeding ticket. Hopefully, you don't have many speeding tickets.

I'mFillingFine said:

daaah are you joking me, u should be victimized in a violent crime.

:eek: :thumbdown: :confused: :scared: :oops: :)

so cmon man, we helped you out.. at least give us the JUICE. what is it that you did??

kill a man, deal some dope, beat a man... beat a woman?... fought at a club, punched a cop, slapped your girl, wacked your professor, kicked your dog? :confused: what exactly did you do???

Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I got some very good news from my attorney. After closer review he told me it is very likely that I will be able to get my convinction expunged, or if not that, reduced to a misdemeanor. Still I don't feel comfortable talking about my crime, sorry. But it was not like anything you suggested dentwannabe. I remember saying it wasn't actually violent ;)

Anon00 said:
Thanks for the advice everyone, I really appreciate it. I got some very good news from my attorney. After closer review he told me it is very likely that I will be able to get my convinction expunged, or if not that, reduced to a misdemeanor. Still I don't feel comfortable talking about my crime, sorry. But it was not like anything you suggested dentwannabe. I remember saying it wasn't actually violent ;)

definitely try to get your conviction expunged. you mentioned earlier that you were working on trying to have it pardoned. a pardon is more like a "okay we forgive you" thing but your infraction will still remain on your record. getting your record expunged will wipe your record clean (which is what you want to do).

although it raises a red flag, it doesn't necessarily have to be negative. as long as u explain it well, i think u'll be ok.

10 years later I wonder what happened to Anon00? Could you go to any dental school ?
I know someone in the same situation . Any info will be very helpful !

Thank You !

Hello,

Please Let me know what happened . Where you able to go to dental school ?

Ten years Sheri,you really think he is still coming to this forum?

Reactions: 1 users
The AADSAS does ask you. I know because I was convicted ~20 years ago of criinal tresspass and resisting arrest. Completely forgot about them...so here comes the background check from OSU after acceptance. They both show up. Got an email that because I did not disclose in AADSAS I needed to email an explanation within days and they would let me knw if I was still accepted or not. Long story short...I am still accepted. (Was from a brutal divorce when I was 20, involving my daughter and her druggie father)

Reactions: 1 user
The AADSAS does ask you. I know because I was convicted ~20 years ago of criinal tresspass and resisting arrest. Completely forgot about them...so here comes the background check from OSU after acceptance. They both show up. Got an email that because I did not disclose in AADSAS I needed to email an explanation within days and they would let me knw if I was still accepted or not. Long story short...I am still accepted. (Was from a brutal divorce when I was 20, involving my daughter and her druggie father)
I "liked," but what I mean is "yikes"