DO schools associated with other universities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FirefighterDoc

MS-4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ive been looking around and couldnt really find any answers.

I was just wondering what other DO schools are associated (even loosely) with other universities.

Example how VCOM is associated with Virginia tech

I also want to go to school in a relatively large metropolitan area and i have noticed that a lot of DO schools are in really obscure places.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, for one, there's MSU-COM. It doesn't really get more school-related than that.

As far as the metro-area thing goes, there are plenty of DO schools that are located in or near large urban centers. The first ones coming to mind - CCOM (Chicago), UMDNJSOM (Philly/Camden), WCOMP (Pomona/LA), PCOM (Philly), Nova (Ft. Lauderdale), TouroCA (San Fran?), TouroNY (Harlem). MSUCOM is associated with Detroit in a few ways.

Ive been looking around and couldnt really find any answers.

I was just wondering what other DO schools are associated (even loosely) with other universities.

Example how VCOM is associated with Virginia tech

I also want to go to school in a relatively large metropolitan area and i have noticed that a lot of DO schools are in really obscure places.

Thanks!

Two that I know offhand:
CCOM- Midwestern Univ
NSUCOM - Nova Southeastern Univ

Members don't see this ad :)
Right, i forgot about MSU

CCOM isnt really in Chicago though. I live in the Chicagoland area and CCOM is actually in Downers grove. I know all the clinical rotations are completed in chicago hospitals though ( one of which i was born in).

Does anyone know of any more associated with large universities?

CCOM isnt really in Chicago though. I live in the Chicagoland area and CCOM is actually in Downers grove. I know all the clinical rotations are completed in chicago hospitals though ( one of which i was born in).

You're going to hit a wall here. Try going to the AACOM website and researching each school. You won't find many, if any, located downtown. I don't really think this should be a priority, FWIW.

TCOM is associated with the University of North Texas. Very large school, actually. They're also opening a law school in the next couple years.

Midwestern U (CCOM) also isn't exactly a university, it doesn't have the faculty nor facility to offer an array of PhD research programs. They're pretty much just a health professions school (DO, pharmacy, PA, PT, etc). You won't get much opportunity for research at Midwestern.

Edit: I think given your requirements, you should keep your options open for UIC, your big state school. They are very favorable to in-state residents.

Last edited:
Oklahoma State is located in Tulsa and is affiliated with Oklahoma State University. It is not a huge city (500,000 or so), but it has the big city amenities. They do not accept a lot of OOS applicants though.

The Tulsa metro is 916,000, either way, 500K was inaccurate, but close enough when considering the population size of the overall area. Municipality populations can be misleading, for example, Atlanta's population is 537,000, but the metro is 5.3 million.

I apologize

Those numbers don't really mean much. Most southern cities all have huge metro areas because it's just one sprawling suburb after another. And they all have the exact same stores. The sum of those suburbs may be 5.3 million or 916k strong, but they don't really generate the density nor the amenities to match that statistic. You might live in a 5.3 million people metro (sounds like a big number), but the hopping thing to do within your radius of 5-10 miles is the Applebee's.

I'm from Oklahoma, and Tulsa is a pretty puny city, and I'd say the amenities aren't much bigger either.

I'm from Oklahoma, and Tulsa is a pretty puny city, and I'd say the amenities aren't much bigger either.

I guess it depends on what you like to do. I find that Tulsa has plenty of amenities to satisfy my needs, which are considerably greater than going to Applebee’s on a Friday night. But I guess if you are measuring a city like Tulsa against population dense east or west coast ones, it is probably lacking.

OUCOM is part of Ohio University. The school has a little over 20,000 students, but the town, Athens, is pretty small overall.

MC

Last edited: