Do schools calculate their own GPAs apart from OptomCas?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoforever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that PCO doesn't take into account +/-s, and rumors about western U calculating your GPA by replacing your most recent grades if you retook your pre-reqs at a different college ( OptomCas averages the two) Does anyone know of other schools who calculate your GPA differently than OptomCas? Like if you retake a class, which schools will consider your most recent achievements regardless of where you re-take? I am also aware of Pacific calculating your "last 45" credits of undergrad.. any other "special" GPA calculations out there for other schools?

Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard that PCO doesn't take into account +/-s, and rumors about western U calculating your GPA by replacing your most recent grades if you retook your pre-reqs at a different college ( OptomCas averages the two) Does anyone know of other schools who calculate your GPA differently than OptomCas? Like if you retake a class, which schools will consider your most recent achievements regardless of where you re-take? I am also aware of Pacific calculating your "last 45" credits of undergrad.. any other "special" GPA calculations out there for other schools?

Thanks guys!

I think you have a misunderstanding of how the system works. The schools mainly look at the GPA OptomCAS calculated. The +/- would be looked at if you passed your prereqs, example SCCO would count a C- as passing because they don't count +/-. Pacific asking for your 45 last credits is an additional GPA they look at, but this is after looking at the main OptomCAS GPA.

I thought optomcas uses the most recent grade, and not the average...no??

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about other schools, but I know for certain (has spoken with admissions director and pretty much everyone else in admissions) that SCCO DOES recalculate your GPA with their own methods.
They take into account your entire pre-requisite GPA (Science, Math, Physics, Psych, AND English) whereas Optomcas only spits out a Science only GPA and non Science GPA.

I think you have a misunderstanding of how the system works. The schools mainly look at the GPA OptomCAS calculated. The +/- would be looked at if you passed your prereqs, example SCCO would count a C- as passing because they don't count +/-. Pacific asking for your 45 last credits is an additional GPA they look at, but this is after looking at the main OptomCAS GPA.

Does anyone know which other schools do not count +/- when considering completed coursework?