Do schools care about grades after acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10yearmedic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I recieved an acceptance in December, but have to make it through this semester before I graduate, and am COMPLETELY unmotivated to do anything. Does anyone else feel this way? I am lucky if I can make it to class half the time. I've spent the last three years stressing over every assignment and test,(not to mention the MCAT's). Now that I know I'll be attending med school, I'm wondering how bad my GPA will crash this semester.

Do med schools even care what grades students get after they are accepted, as long as they pass?

Members don't see this ad.

So I recieved an acceptance in December, but have to make it through this semester before I graduate, and am COMPLETELY unmotivated to do anything. Does anyone else feel this way? I am lucky if I can make it to class half the time. I've spent the last three years stressing over every assignment and test,(not to mention the MCAT's). Now that I know I'll be attending med school, I'm wondering how bad my GPA will crash this semester.

Do med schools even care what grades students get after they are accepted, as long as they pass?

You will need to research the stipulations of matriculation. You should have received some material on that. I'd suggest taking a look at it.

Depends on the school

I feel ya completely. Ive never cared less about school, which is rather dangerous...I realize how difficult the next like 8 years are gonna be so i want to do as little as possible now.

Most poeple have said that a 3.0-3.5 average is safe. I'de try not to get a bunch of C's, although i personally have never heard of schools recinding an acceptance based on failing 1 class

Members don't see this ad :)
Please make sure you ask the school. In the past few years, schools have tired of students getting a 1.0 semester gpa before starting medical school and have insitutued minimum gpa policies. It is not unheard of for acceptances to be rescinded for students who do not meet these policies.

When I interviewed at KUMC, they told us that if we did poorly in our last semesters, we would not be matriculated. The dean told us that in the past she had to turn away students that had been accepted b/c they dropped the ball the last semester......

Don't risk it. Shoot for B's and maybe a couple C's.

I was planning on doing that. I only studied the morning of the tests and yet i still got all A's. You have to try pretty hard to get b's/c's.:laugh:

lol maybe so.

I fell victim to my first C last semester (having been accepted to a couple places already) I totally agree with you when I have little to no motivation in terms of anything thats medically unrelated.

Besides who likes going to class anyway?

From what I understand a 3.0-3.5 is completely acceptable, and a couple C's are ok. Straights B's would probably suffice, but throw in a couple typical A's and you'd be great

Some schools' letters say "maintaining grades", others say "successful completion (which means anything from a D to a C- even). Just keep up with work and dont slack but dont bend over backwards to get an A+.