Do schools care if you drop classes after you get in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ifailedmytest

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, do schools care if you drop classes you do not need for their program after you get accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, do schools care if you drop classes you do not need for their program after you get accepted?

Of couse, you input your classes into pharmcas and the school could see what you are taking, if you change your class schedule, you must notify the school.

At my school, you even had to submitt a formal petition with a statement/short essay why you wanted to drop those classes, before you could actually drop them.

Of couse, you input your classes into pharmcas and the school could see what you are taking, if you change your class schedule, you must notify the school.

At my school, you even had to submitt a formal petition with a statement/short essay why you wanted to drop those classes, before you could actually drop them.

Well the reason I am asking is because some of the schools I have an interview with need more classes than my primary school choice and if I get accepted the classes I am taking now are not necessary

Members don't see this ad :)
Well the reason I am asking is because some of the schools I have an interview with need more classes than my primary school choice and if I get accepted the classes I am taking now are not necessary

I would recommend just sticking to the schedule you have now, unless you think it's way too much for you.

Last year, I took an English class that I didn't necessarily need, but I stayed in it in case I needed to apply to more schools this year.

I would recommend just sticking to the schedule you have now, unless you think it's way too much for you.

Last year, I took an English class that I didn't necessarily need, but I stayed in it in case I needed to apply to more schools this year.

I am taking 17 credit hours and of those need only 3 for the school I want to go to

If the classes you're dropping aren't part of the required pre-reqs, I don't think it's necessary to inform the school. I haven't read anything about dropping non-required classes after an admissions decision has been made.

It's not a bad idea if it isn't required and you could still maybe get a refund / partial refund for the class.
Assuming you are accepted to said school already...

I thought about that myself, but I'm not accepted anywhere as it stands so that's thinking too far ahead lol.

It's not a bad idea if it isn't required and you could still maybe get a refund / partial refund for the class.
Assuming you are accepted to said school already...

I thought about that myself, but I'm not accepted anywhere as it stands so that's thinking too far ahead lol.

What school gives you a refund for dropping one class out of several you are taking?

Sounds good, Thank you

Inform the school to be on the safe side.

When I posted my initial reply, I pretty much knew you were talking about the classes not required by your school of choice. I was in exact same position last year, only I was taking 19 credits and wanted to drop two classes. Like I said above, I even had to write a statement why I wanted to drop those classes.

Some schools, like mine, take your schedule very seriously. You don't know if you taking those two classes may have played a role in your acceptance, so inform the school just to be sure, otherwise your file may be rereviewed and you may be put on probational status.

Inform the schools. No big deal, I'm pretty sure most will let you retake in the summer before courses.