Do schools care if you went several semesters without any BCPM classes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beebreezy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't think this is something to be overly concerned about. Maybe AMCAS calculated your sGPA as 0.0, but that is different than having a 0.0 or similarly super low sGPA because you failed or earned D's in science courses. I also don't think it's a concern that you have several semesters of not taking any science courses, because as long as you have taken the required courses (and potentially some of the "recommended" courses) and done well in them, you really have nothing to worry about assuming you have everything else in order (competitive cGPA, MCAT, ECs, etc.).

Reactions: 1 user
I went three years without taking a single bcpm course. It was never brought up. No one liked what I did take but no one complained about the lack of science.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I can see how my post could be confusing. What I meant was that from my fourth semester of undergrad to the point that I graduated, I never took a single science or math courses because I was a liberal arts major and, thus, had no need for them at the time. So when I type my grades into the AMCAS calculator someone posted on here, it calculates my BCPM GPA as a 0 for all of those semesters. This results in the trendline graph at the bottom of the page showing an overall downward trend.

As long as AMCAS doesn't really use that exact calculation method, I'm good!

No. Keep in mind that some applicants major in non-science fields, and may very well take the bare minimum of pre-reqs. You're still expected to demonstrate that you can handle a medical school curriculum.

We do look for upward trends and reward those, and punish downward ones.

Med schools don't use a graph like that to look at GPA trends, do they? I know they do look at overall trends, so that worries me a bit.

I majored in Art. I had like 5 semesters without a science course. It's fine.

I'm not trying to be mean at all when I say this, but it's kinda sad how neurotic this whole process makes people. :(

The process makes premeds crazy though this was an fairly reasonable question. Its why I keep a Valium salt lick in the student waiting room
Where's that at?

"What's the name of that truck driving school we saw on TV? Truckmasters I think it was? I might need that." LtJg Nick "Goose" Bradshaw