do schools care what kind of degree you have?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illmatic925

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everybody i was wondering if the degree affects my chances of getting into optometry school. Im graduatiting as a kinesiology major which is known as a easy major, but i have all the prereq and a decent gpa 3.3, will schools look down on me because i have a degree in such a easy major. please respond.

Members don't see this ad.

hey illmatic,

although most optometry students have degrees in biology, there is no requirment as to what you major in as long as you do fairly well with your prerequisites. I have a degree in psychology and i was told i was "academically sound" and i got interviews. hope this helps :)

ODra said:
hey illmatic,

although most optometry students have degrees in biology, there is no requirment as to what you major in as long as you do fairly well with your prerequisites. I have a degree in psychology and i was told i was "academically sound" and i got interviews. hope this helps :)

I majored in psychology as well, and got into Indiana.

Members don't see this ad :)
illmatic925 said:
hey everybody i was wondering if the degree affects my chances of getting into optometry school. Im graduatiting as a kinesiology major which is known as a easy major, but i have all the prereq and a decent gpa 3.3, will schools look down on me because i have a degree in such a easy major. please respond.

I have a psychology major and a sociology minor and alot of political science classes. I have been accepted to UAB, PCO, and IU. My overall GPA is 3.4 and pre req GPA is 3.6. I have asked about majors at interviews and most people say about 50-60% are biology or chemistry majors. My tour guide at IU was a math major.

Are optometry schools being more like medical schools in not wanting as many typical students?

Did you guys have anything that "stands out"?

Thanks!(hope I didn't hijack your thread)

I got my undergrad in business(major: MIS, minor: Spanish) and have been accepted to ICO, UAB, and Nova. Worked for a couple of years after graduation too.

Yeah the major doesn't matter as long as you finish the pre-opt requirements. I think you should just major in something you're interested in.