Do schools care whether you go the Private or Public research route?

Aug 21, 2014
Hoping my fellow SDN non-trads can help me reason my way through this one.

Long story short: due to various familial issues, I had to withdraw my application for this year. As heartbroken as that makes me and as much as I tried to put it off/deny it for about a month---it is the best decision for me and my family.

Although this opens me up for a variety of logisitcal issues for applying next year/in the future, the most pressing one revolves around my research position.

Due to the aforementioned familial issues, I also had to relocate and leave the clinical research coordinator position I held at a top-10 public university with a well-known researcher who I worked with for 2+ years and have had publications working with.

Currently, I am in the position where I could accept one of two new research positions.

ONE) top 20 public university research position. However, the technical title is lower than the one which I left and the money, as we all know, isn't great.

TWO) private sector. Basically pharmaceutical clinical trials and the like--very for-profit. But the pay is much better (in the ballpark of +10K a year).

Now considering that the money would really HELP, but that I could make it work having less money if it meant that schools would take issue with the private sector transition, does anyone have any input/experience with how schools receive this kind of situation?

I think I could be happy at either position- as the extra money would probably help me accept that I wasn't doing research in as "pure" a sense as I previously was---as in, I know private sector is a lot less about the pursuit of science as it is for profit/keeping your sponsors happy. And in the opposing position-- I love research, I love being in an environment where everyone is dedicated to the pursuit of knowledge just for themselves rather than for profit- so it could level out the loss of $$.

I have just always been told that private sector is akin to selling out in the scientific community- is that the impression medical schools will also have?

Help? :)

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
  2. Attending Physician
Take the private job and bank that $10,000 for your app expenses next year. Do you have any idea how many academic physicians and physician scientists have ties to industry? I don't know the exact number either, but it's a lot. Try reading those conflict of interest slides the next time you attend a conference. And after two years of FT lab employment, you've already proven your interest in research.

Reactions: 5 users
Jan 22, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Private research will broaden your perspective. At the end of the day though, you have to do what's best for your family.

Reactions: 1 user
Aug 21, 2014
Thanks ya'll. Definitely can be short sighted at times like this so thank you for the help in finding a new perspective. I forget that having only worked in academia, that of course there will be the bias which is not necessarily true. In fact, a lot of the researchers even in academia have privately funded trials which "pay the bills" as well - "forgot" that while wrestling with this decision as well.

Thank you again!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads