Do schools get angry when...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSuga

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone had any experiences in trying to "cluster" interviews? by that i mean trying to group a bunch of them together when you know you'll be in the area, even when you haven't been formally invited. do schools get pi$$ed when you call and explain that you'll be in the area and are hoping that if you are being considered for an interview that you could schedule it for a certain time?? which schools are willing to help you out and which ones aren't? Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I dunno what schools you're trying to cluster interviews at, but don't bother with GW, they're booked solid with interviews through February. Georgetown on the other hand is more realistic if your interview date is at least a month away. Other schools such as SLU are very accomodating. It varies from school to school. It's worth a shot.

Originally posted by md2be06:
•...don't bother with GW, they're booked solid with interviews through February.•

I hope you do not mean that they have contacted all who they will interview through February! I've heard nothing from them and was under the impression that I am a competitive applicant to that school. :eek: :( :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you do not mean that they have contacted all who they will interview through February! I've heard nothing from them and was under the impression that I am a competitive applicant to that school

Same here! I think they "reserve" spots for invited candidates b/c I called them (before getting an invite) to see if i could go when i was there for g'town and they said they were booked until dec! but then i read posts on SDN about people getting recent invites, so perhaps ours are on the way!!

Hey -- I got a letter from GW last Tuesday and my interview date was at the beginning of November (pre-set by them in the letter.) So I think if you're contacted soon your interview would definitely be before Febuary.

(what do I know, though?? liberally salt everything I say. :D )

Well, I just got an invite for an interview up in Virginia last week, so I called up the DC schools to see if I could squeeze something in when I go up there. Anyway, I told the guy at GW that my file's been complete for a while there, and if there was anyway the adcom could decide whether or not to grant me an interview so that I wouldn't have to make multiple trips. The guy basically said that they're booked through February, so that even if they were to review my file now, the earliest I could be interviewed is March. I pretty much view this as a rejection, but at least I know, and am not waiting for them. Georgetown said they'd make a note of it in my file, but couldn't promise anything. Hope this clarifies things.

Which Virginia school, md2be06?
I'm just nosy. :)

MCV/VCU. Anything I should know about the school before I interview? I'd appreciate any info. I was actually kinda surprised to get an interview since 2/3's of their class is made up of Virginia residents. Just goes to show how much of a crapshoot this process really is.

Hey,
Unfortunately, I haven't interviewed there, but I know a couple of folks there who are med students there now. I remember one girl said that it was a really nice interview and that they were just very interested in getting to know her. Something cool is the preceptorship program, which starts in the first year, I think -- you get to observe a physician working in the community once a week. (The details are probably on the web.)

Good luck! They're supposed to be a very student-friendly school. :)

Has anyone tried to cluster interviews in the PHILLY area (i.e. UPenn, Jefferson...)???

I just called Philly schools today about clustering my interviews. The people I spoke to definitely didn't scoff at me for asking and said that they would do what they could. Of course, I'm coming from west coast, so I have a really good reason (worrisome air travel) to want to do them all in one trip. We'll see what happens. I don't think it hurts to ask.

No..they don't get mad...however, beware the EVIL schools...one in new york...and one in the south...

Originally posted by DrSuga:
•has anyone had any experiences in trying to "cluster" interviews? by that i mean trying to group a bunch of them together when you know you'll be in the area, even when you haven't been formally invited. do schools get pi$$ed when you call and explain that you'll be in the area and are hoping that if you are being considered for an interview that you could schedule it for a certain time?? which schools are willing to help you out and which ones aren't? Thanks in advance!!•

No, schools don't get pissed. They understand. Good luck!