Do schools give acceptance/rejection over the phone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macsx

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I interviewed at two schools recently. One school encouraged me to call to find out the final decision if we didn't want to wait for the letter. Is this how all medical schools work?

The second one, I called up to find out my status and the secretary said that a decision has been made and the letter should be received by this weekend. When I asked her what the decision was, she replied that they could not give that info over the phone.

I'm guessing I got rejected at the second school- it's easier to tell somebody that they got in vs. telling them they got rejected. I don't see why a school would not tell an applicant that they were accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

not necessarily........some schools have policy of not giving decision over phone due to privacy issues........

I got call from UNC, email/letter from Miami, and mail from Case. Wayne actually asked me to call and gave me the waitlist status on phone..... so just depend on the school.......Case I know will not give your decision on phone...no matter what it is...acceptance or otherwise

The adminstrative assistant almost never is able to communicate decisions. Rejections and waitlists are rarely phoned in. Acceptances depend.

Members don't see this ad :)
i didn't think they were allowed to give you any info over the phone. (lack of authentication...)

besides, i think a couple of days of waiting won't kill you.

I got the same response from Rosalind Franklin this week...the secretary said that I should be receiving a letter in the mail within 2 weeks, and if i dont, to give them a call again...i've been thinking it over, and I think that it's a rejection and she just couldn't tell me over the phone... :(

Mr. Sparkle is right about the authentication thing and the waiting a few days bit as well. I think you'd agree that you'd rather wait a few days, but be assured that if they won't tell YOU your status, they won't tell anyone else as well, so your privacy is protected and you're not being unfairly treated because they have a policy of not telling anyone their status over the phone.