Do schools "hold it against you" if you re-apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cg1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that some schools cut you off after two years of applying.

Which makes me question:
Do schools "hold it against you" if you re-apply?

Or...
Do they do just the opposite and give you more consideration since they know that it's your "last chance"?

Or...
Do they not treat you any differently than if you were a first-time applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing I know for sure is that med schools expect you to have made significant changes between one application year to the next. Other than that, I think it really depends on the school - some take a good number of reapplicants while others don't. Hopefully someone who has more info/experience can answer this. Good luck!

hey,

as far as reapplying, everyone talks about schools expecting a significant change in one's application, which makes a lot of sense.

BUT one also has to remember that the whole thing is mostly on rolling admissions, so if an applicant did not get there application in early the first time around (ie they didn't turn in amcas early or try and do their secondaries right away, or they maybe even took the august mcat), it is very possible that they could reapply with the same or similar application and get in the second time around.

i think that reapplying doesn't get held against an applicant, but if they have some serious weakness' in the app, then they really need to address them, because it seems that the apply-again-and-again-cause-it-shows-i-am-determined thing doesn't seem to work really well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely reapply - it shows continued interest. I was shocked to arrive at my school and find that bout 1/4-1/3 of our class was NOT straight from undergrad. I think schools acutally look for people who have tried more than once and are certain of their decision, rather than just doing med school b/c they don't know what else to do next.
Yes, improving your application is good. But my advice if you don't make it the first time is to do some other job you always wondered about and learn from that. That's what I did, glad I did, and find that some of my friends who went straight thru wish they had some time to do something else b/c once you start this carrer, you're probalby in for the long haul and won't end up doing anything else.

I interviewed four times before being accepted. I had a bad first interview with a doc who lectured me the whole time on the need for docs in rural areas and basically sabotaged my application without even trying to understand where I was coming from. For example, I had three years of research experience at the school inculding publications and he didn't ask me anything about it. Instead of giving up I earned a master's degree and got my certification as an EMT. Also, after each rejection I spoke with admissions officers regarding improving on percieved weakneses in my application. It got to the point that everyone in the admissions office knew my name. I think they just got tired of rejecting me and having to explain why. I've heard from a member of the committee that some on the admissions committee say things like "if we don't accept this applicant he/she will just be back next year." Good luck. In short my advice: be polite, kill them with kindness, and stick to them like glue til they let you in.