DO schools hospital affiliations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Could someone tell me which DO schools have good hospital affiliations nearby? IE, a school where I won't have to move around everywhere for third and fourth year clinicals. I have a wife and possibly a kid by then, and can't really afford to move them everywhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Try this link

http://www.aoa-net.org/PostDoc/optiabout.htm

Also...many medical schools can and will make special accomodations to married students, particularly those with younger children. You need to remember that this is on a case-by-case, school-by-school, and rotation-by-rotation basis. I'm not sure how PCOM deals with this, but I know other schools try to do what they can.

Members don't see this ad :)
At NSUCOM, they have MOST of their hospital affiliations right near the "mother' school... you have Broward General, North Broward District, Memorial, Palmetto, Mt. Sinai, Miami Heart... all within driving distance from plaecs that you could live as a M1/M2. I chose to move out to Tampa to go to Suncoast, as my parents had bought a house and retired there.

Q, DO

I can tell you DO schools where most likely you will have to move all over the place and even out of state. AZCOM has been pushed out by the University of Arizona med school so for rotations there you most likely would have to leave the state.

TUCOM also has almost no rotations around their school so most students have to rotate all over the state, in Las Vegas, or out of the state. That is something to think about.

i would imagine PCOM has great hospital affiliations nearby. the number of hospitals, medical centers, and clinics they have in philly, there shouldn't be a reason you'd have to leave philly if you didn't want to for rotations.

LECOM has several affiliations nearby, and many students decide to stay in Erie. In addition, if you and your wife are willing to move following 2nd year, you can choose to do all of your rotations in any of the following cities: NYC, Buffalo, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia. You can also choose to do all of your rotations in Florida, should you so choose. Overall, there are over 70 options for LECOM affiliates.

NYCOM has some of the best rotations in the osteopathic world. You do not have to move. The vast majority are right here in the city. I live in Queens, and most likely I'll be rotating at Lutheran Medical Center in Brooklyn. It's 20 mins away from my door step. Here is a list of NYCOM's affiliations:

Affiliated Hospitals of NYCOM
Major Clinical Campuses

Good Samaritan Medical Center St. Barnabas Hospital
West Islip, NY Bronx, NY

Maimonides Medical Center
Brooklyn, NY

Saint Barnabas Health Care System of New Jersey
Newark Beth Isreal Medical Center - Newark, NJ
Union Hospital - Union, NJ
Saint Barnabas Medical Center - Livingston, NJ

Clinical Campuses
Jamaica Hospital Medical Center Jamaica, NY
Brookdale University Hospital and Medical Center
Brooklyn, NY

Long Beach Medical Center
Lutheran Medical Center
Nassau University Medical Center
Mid-Hudson Family Health Services Institute

St. Clair's Hospital & Health Center
New York, NY

Sisters of Charity Hospital

Wyckoff Heights Medical Center Brooklyn, NY

Auxiliary Clinical Facilities
Auburn Medical - Auburn, NY
Brooklyn Hospital - Brooklyn, NY
Catholic Medical Center - Elmhurst, NY
Long Island Jewish Medical Center - New Hyde Park, NY
North Shore University Hospital - Forest Hills, NY
North Shore University Hospital - Glen Cove, NY
North Shore University Hospital - Manhasset, NY

Originally posted by DOnut
NYCOM has some of the best rotations in the osteopathic world.

Ignore superlatives in the osteopathic world. They are more subjective than objective.

Q, DO

Not to dissagree with my esteemed classmate and a great all around man,
DoNUT, (its either doughnut or NUT, which is it?)
but here is my , somewhat less patriotic, although still supportive (yay nycom and all that) assesment.
anyway,
NYCOM has clinical campuses available, which means you have to basically compete to get them...interview process and everything. they include st barnabas in nj, maimonides in brooklyn, and good samaritan in suffolk. those are the ones i can think of at the moment.
the other rotation sites are mostly in brooklynm LI and queens. SOme in nj, and a spattering over the tristate area.
If you didnt get into the clinical campus, (which means that youd spend the WHOLE 3rd year there) those same sites are still up for grabs when it comes time to choosing rotations. These are sort of like a match, without the hospitals having a say beyond the number of students per rotation. Most people do get their number one or two choice...
I can say that if you cluster all your choices it would be pretty doable to get all your rotations, if not in one hospital, than within maybe a half hour to 45 min of whereever you live... if that happens to be on li, nj, queens or brooklyn.
I think im going to apply for the maimonides campus, although that makes me and every other kid from brooklyn, so we will see who gets it.

Hope that helps!

anyway if you didnt understand this, feel free to pm me