do schools intentionally invite certain students for an interview, knowing they are going straight to the alternate list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chicagotech

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done some thinking after getting placed on an alternate list. My interview itself had nothing to do with being waitlisted.. i think that some schools just need to have a good amount of people on their alternate list so they send invites to non-ideal (but close to ideal) students so that they can start filling up their list early on in the cycle. Every school needs a backup list in case accepted students decide to go elsewhere. I think that no matter how well my interview went, the school already knew from the moment they sent me the interview invite that I was going to be a backup for them. I am a non-degree student and most schools do not prefer non-degrees, even though i got an interview to all three schools i applied to.

I was placed on ICO's alternate list and am expecting to be placed on SCO's as well. NECO accepted me as they are one of the schools that really does not care if you have a degree or not.

Members don't see this ad.