Do schools know ALL the schools you've gotten into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingImpatiently

Long Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just asked this Q, but it didn't get posted... :mad:

Anyway, I got into 3 schools, but for 2 of them, I very promptly sent in a withdrawal letter without ever accepting a spot in the class (ie. I never sent them $). For the schools that haven't made a decision on me yet, do they know about all 3 schools I've gotten into, or just the one school that I'm still holding onto?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

while we're on the topic, do non-amcas schools also have access to what schools you got into? just curious.

:)

I emailed Michigan State (CHM) about it, and they said that they don't know where you've applied, however, they can if they want find out where you've already been accepted - but they say that "normally do not access such information until May."

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by dr. momo:
•while we're on the topic, do non-amcas schools also have access to what schools you got into? •••••I don't know about all non-AMCAS schools, but the Texas schools have the information. That would lead me to believe that they all have it.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by spacecadet:
•don't know about all non-AMCAS schools, but the Texas schools have the information. That would lead me to believe that they all have it.•••••Does Baylor know if we're holding a place at a TMDSAS school? I think they must if they're going to abide by the June 1 rule. That kind of sucks, no?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by praying4MD:
•Does Baylor know if we're holding a place at a TMDSAS school? I think they must if they're going to abide by the June 1 rule. That kind of sucks, no?•••••Yeah, they know. I didn't know you were trying to get into Baylor. Me too. Waitlists are hell.

It doesn't suck for me since I haven't gotten in anywhere. I'd prefer that they kick everyone but me off the waitlist. :)

Please explain the June 1st rule. thanks,

Hero

Hi all;
Is the May 15th one acceptance holding rule applied to both AMCAS and non-AMCAS school???
I really need to know soon so that I can make a decision. Pliz inform this ignorant boy!!!

YES they know! The WashU people emailed me saying "We heard you've accepted a position at Duke 'sup with that? you're trifling man!". But I had already called them before the weekend but didn't leave a message cause I thought it was impersonal.

to answer my own question on what is the june 1st rule.. this is from AAMC under "suggestions" I'm sure it's up to the medical school whether to abide and enforce these 'rules'. I think i remember gower saying this.

•••quote:•••Subsequent to June 1, a school of medicine seeking to admit an applicant already known to be accepted by another school for that entering class should advise that school of its intent. Because of the administrative problems involved in filling a place vacated just prior to the commencement of the academic year, schools should communicate fully with each other with respect to anticipated late roster changes in order to keep misunderstandings at a minimum.
••••This would give orphans more of a chance right?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Hero:
•Please explain the June 1st rule. thanks,

Hero•••••The June 1st rule refers to schools in Texas. After taht date, they won't accept anyone on the waitlist who is holding a spot at another Texas school.

I received an e-mail from Cornell recently that elaborated on two of the questions raised here. First of all, according to the Assistant Dean of Admissions there, the medical schools themselves, both AMCAS and otherwise, agreed upon this date of May 15th as the deadline for applicants to be holding a single acceptance. So that's pretty much D-Day for everyone.

As far as the schools having information about your acceptances. .. she wrote that every week they receive a list of the schools to which you've been accepted, and where you still currently hold a place.

I hope that this helps! :)

Jalbrekt is right about the June 1st rule. If you are holding a place at a TX school, you cannot be offered another place by another Tx school (INCLUDING Baylor) after June 1st. So really, for tx residents, June 1st is our D-Day.

MorningLight: I thought May 15 was the *strongly suggested* deadline to limit your acceptance number to one only and withdraw from other schools. :confused: Is that incorrect? If that is true, then May 15 would only be the day that people are expected to limit themselves to one place at one med school, however, it could take several weeks for those of us on waitlists to actually get word that we have been pulled off the waitlist and offered an acceptance... so there is still hope after May 15 for the waitlistees. In addition, the May 15 date does not apply to non-AMCAS schools such as TMDSAS (Texas schools,) which go by the June 1st rule.

spacecadet: yes, I am currently waitlisted at Baylor, but matched to UT-Southwestern. But I'm still crossing my fingers for Baylor. Good luck to you on getting off the waitlist too! :)

Hi praying,

I'm sorry for my ambiguity, I just realized that I did not word that clearly. . . what I meant is that the May 15th date is for everyone to hold one ACCEPTANCE. . . i.e., if you have multiple acceptances, withdraw from all but one. You can hold onto a spot on the waitlist right up through August.

As far as AMCAS/non-AMCAS, I'm really just spitting out exactly what the Assistant Dean at Cornell wrote to me:

"All medical schools (AMCAS and non-AMCAS) abide by what we call 'traffic rules,' established by us to help each other. One of the rules, the May 15 deadline, is intended for the schools to have an entering class early enough to be prepared for a smooth transition to the school."

This is copied directly from an e-mail that I received from her on May 10th (with a bit of quotation-mark tweaking :) . Perhaps schools agree upon adjustments amongst each other, but based upon her words, especially the fact that she specifically noted "AMCAS and non-AMCAS," I'm not sure it's accurate to say that the May 15th deadline doesn't apply to non-AMCAS schools at all.

Just to clarify. :D Thank you for pointing this out! :)

Thanks for the info MorningLight. This whole process is so confusing, but it's getting slightly clearer... now that's it's practically over. :)

I have heard that schools do indeed know which school you are in at, or that they can get access and see which schools you are in at.