Do schools like/dislike when you choose them partly for family reasons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coquito

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview coming up back in my home city across the country (haven't lived there in 7 years). One huge draw for me is moving back to where I have approximately 300 relatives instead of zero. I'm very close to my family (not physically, right now, clearly) and am considering the local school to be near them again.

Obviously, I would prioritize other aspects I like about the school in an interview. But my question is: Do med schools see you having family/personal reasons to be in that location as a positive, like you have a support system and are likely to matriculate? Or a negative, like maybe they think you aren't that interested in their school, it's just convenient for you geographically?

Just wondering how much to downplay the family factor.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview coming up back in my home city across the country (haven't lived there in 7 years). One huge draw for me is moving back to where I have approximately 300 relatives instead of zero. I'm very close to my family (not physically, right now, clearly) and am considering the local school to be near them again.

Obviously, I would prioritize other aspects I like about the school in an interview. But my question is: Do med schools see you having family/personal reasons to be in that location as a positive, like you have a support system and are likely to matriculate? Or a negative, like maybe they think you aren't that interested in their school, it's just convenient for you geographically?

Thanks!

It's a (slight) positive factor. Just don't say it's the only reason you can think of to go to the school. Ideally it should be "one of many reasons."

Agreed with the above. It certainly makes them think you are very serious about their program if you say your family is there and you want to be near them. Of course, if that's should not be your only reason.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a similar note, how does saying that your family will buy you a house in the area and your parent works at the university come off as? Does it come off as entitled/name dropping, or like you are really motivated to be at the school and that you are more interested in it than anywhere else?

On a similar note, how does saying that your family will buy you a house in the area and your parent works at the university come off as? Does it come off as entitled/name dropping, or like you are really motivated to be at the school and that you are more interested in it than anywhere else?
Don't say they're going to buy you a house. There's no reason to say that, and it might rub people the wrong way.

For the OP, many schools receive funding from the state, and the state wants to see that the school's graduates will remain local. Even privately funded schools like to have alumni that stick around, for numerous reasons. It would certainly not hurt you to say that you are from there or have a lot of family there, and you would like to work there long-term. Just don't make it seem like you need Mommy and Daddy to help you, because the Big Scary World out there was too much for you to handle. You get my drift. Sell yourself as an independent adult who enjoys being around family.

Thanks!

300 or 30?

I agree with all of the above. Strong ties to an area have only seemed to help my case so far when presented in addition to other compelling reasons for my interest in a school. Think of it as icing on the cake.

thanks for the advice!

@TheProwler: I've been "independent" since I was 18. I'm about 30 years old and have had prior careers and world travels (all funded by me) so hopefully don't seem like a daddy's girl by now :) no one will be buying me a house... but i will probably buy my own house when i start school.

@sinombre: yes, 300. i've got great-grandparents, great-aunts and their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren, a bunch of cousins twice removed, etc. i grew up with dozens of cousins that are like siblings to me. and i'm like the only person to have moved away. huge, extended family (actually out in the countryside) near the school. miss it a lot, but i love where i live now so it's a hard decision.