DO Schools List, NJ Resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tlccreepwaterfalls

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Gratefully asking for some opinions on my current school list and stats.

Currently have my application verified through AACOMAS. AACOMAS cGPA: 3.46, sGPA: 3.39, MCAT 506 (126chem/126cars/126bio/128psych).

upward trend in grades

some of my experiences:
-300+ hours shadowing DO, 300+ hours of shadowing two MD surgeons.
-1000+ hours clinical work experience (assisting with minor surgical procedures, scribing, administrative assistant for surgeon, assistant manager in surgical practice, working with both DO/MDs)
-500+ hours volunteering (Cubmaster, volunteer w/pre-med group, random stuff), eagle scout award (not included in 500+ hours)
-Private music teacher 200 hours

Waiting on my undergrad school to send my LOR to AACOMAS; hopefully will be sent next week

Current School List:
Submitted Secondaries For:
RowanSOM
NYITCOM
NOVA
UNECOM
CCOM
COMP Pomona

Waiting on secondaries from:
PCOM
RVU (just submitted primary tonight)

How competitive do ya'll think I am? What other schools would you suggest I apply to?
I'm open to primary care, but i'd like to go to a school that can help me get a competitive (probably surgical) residency if i decide i want to do surgery

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Holy smokes that's a lot of shadowing.
Apply anywhere you'd like to go. I'd submit to another another 6-10 schools but you should get some love from the ones you have already.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gratefully asking for some opinions on my current school list and stats.

Currently have my application verified through AACOMAS. AACOMAS cGPA: 3.46, sGPA: 3.39, MCAT 506 (126chem/126cars/126bio/128psych).

upward trend in grades

some of my experiences:
-300+ hours shadowing DO, 300+ hours of shadowing two MD surgeons.
-1000+ hours clinical work experience (assisting with minor surgical procedures, scribing, administrative assistant for surgeon, assistant manager in surgical practice, working with both DO/MDs)
-500+ hours volunteering (Cubmaster, volunteer w/pre-med group, random stuff), eagle scout award (not included in 500+ hours)
-Private music teacher 200 hours

Waiting on my undergrad school to send my LOR to AACOMAS; hopefully will be sent next week

Current School List:
Submitted Secondaries For:
RowanSOM
NYITCOM
NOVA
UNECOM
CCOM
COMP Pomona

Waiting on secondaries from:
PCOM
RVU (just submitted primary tonight)

How competitive do ya'll think I am? What other schools would you suggest I apply to?
I'm open to primary care, but i'd like to go to a school that can help me get a competitive (probably surgical) residency if i decide i want to do surgery

Suggest adding:
all NJ MD schools
VCOM
PCOM-GA
LMU
MUCOM
KCOM
KCU
Touro-CA
DMU

Can't recommend Nova. Why??? three consecutive years of declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and this is something you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.

Reactions: 1 user
Suggest adding:
all NJ MD schools
VCOM
PCOM-GA
LMU
MUCOM
KCOM
KCU
Touro-CA
DMU

Can't recommend Nova. Why??? three consecutive years of declining first-time COMLEX pass rates. They're now at ~85% and this is something you expect from a new school, not a veteran. Something is very wrong there.
Thank you so much! I'll add those other DO schools.

Do you think I have a shot at OOS MD schools?

Agree with Goro...
Take off Nova and add MUCOM, VCOM's, LECOM-Erie, Touro's, and WVSOM

Best chance to become surg is to go MD, but not likely with your stats

+1 for Marian University and DMU