Do schools look at old MCAT if you have a great new score? Should I explain in my personal statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ccpo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT beginning of 2015 and scored super low (like 30th percentile), but recently retook it and got a 520.

There were a lot of factors as to why I didn't do well before... I was working full time and didn't really study outside of a brief review a few weeks before hand, flew in from a business trip the day before and barely slept before the test, had a friend living on my sofa, hadn't taken any full length practice tests, etc. Basically, I was arrogant and ill prepared.

I've been told that schools average MCAT scores? But since there is a significant gap in time between mine, would that change anything? Would they still be averaged after the old test expires? Would taking the MCAT again to raise my average help?

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don't take it again. I didn't list my deficits in my PS however I did bring them up briefly in the interview and explained them. I also had a similar situation with the MCAT, had a not so good old MCAT score and a decent new MCAT score. I told them a similar story to what you just explained above and got in. I think you'll probably get in too with an MCAT of 520. Hope this helps.

wow that's awesome. I've been told not to include it in my PS but to have an answer ready for interviews, also what did you do differently this time around to make that big jump?

wow that's awesome. I've been told not to include it in my PS but to have an answer ready for interviews, also what did you do differently this time around to make that big jump?
Actually studying and deciding to make the MCAT my life for 3 months. Basically dedicating a few hours in morning before work and then 3-4 hours in the evening after work before bed. I roughly followed the guide posted on here (https://www.studentdoctor.net/3-month-mcat-study-schedule/) with a few minor adjustments. Also listened to podcasts and lectures on my drive to and from work. Took 2 weeks off work before the test to really just focus on practice tests and test taking.

I've had highest grades in classes during undergrad before when I've focused on subjects or enjoyed studying, so I had the confidence that I could do well on the test if I tried. My cocky self just thought I could pull off what I did in BioChem (I studied for the final maybe 30 minutes before the test and was in the 5% of the class). The MCAT isn't the same at all though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely don't take it again. I didn't list my deficits in my PS however I did bring them up briefly in the interview and explained them. I also had a similar situation with the MCAT, had a not so good old MCAT score and a decent new MCAT score. I told them a similar story to what you just explained above and got in. I think you'll probably get in too with an MCAT of 520. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I really hope I get interviews. I am so nervous the bad score is going to be cause for concern. I only have an average GPA (for pre-med that is) so a bad MCAT and a good MCAT make me nervous.

From what I have heard on here:

That 520 is objecetively amazing and will turn heads. However your 3oth percentile score will also turn heads due to the dissonance in scores. There's always a story there and so adcoms will often interview students to find out what the cause was. So I have seen people get advised to not reveal the reason in their primary and to save it for the interviews because this good fodder assuming you can eloquently explain why and how you are now changed and dedicated.

Ive also seen people be advised numerous times to not address weaknesses on the MCAT but rather to answer the why medicine prompt etc.

You got this! Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user