Do schools mainly look at composite score?? Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmDoReMe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I took the PCAT earlier this month and got a 72. It's not the most awful score, but I've also got a pretty low gpa (2.79ish) and I'm wondering if schools typically look at the composite score as a whole, or each individual section when making their decisions? I plan on retaking the PCAT again to improve my score, but I'm still curious if anyone can help me answer the question.

Members don't see this ad.

3 basic necessities ive learned and heard from (university i attend included) :

#1 Of the sections you took, what was your strong subjects (e.g. did you score upwards in the 90's+ on your chem and bio). If you score well above average in the math and science compared to the other topics that will be the first eye catcher. (this was the case for me).

#2 For your GPA, what is your science compared to the cumulative? are you getting a bachelors or is this prereqs? With a GPA like this I would highly recommend getting an undergrad degree after experiencing my classes thus far (Biochem and Immunology with any physiology courses will help tremendously in making you stick out...i did biochem and research in undergrad and now im reaping the rewards from it).
2a) : along with the GPA coupled with your PCAT, what other tasks are you undergoing ( are you married with kids on your own while working part time, or staying with parents or friends just focused on school?) . As youve heard you will take nothing but 16 - 19 credits of science courses while in school and most of your future classmates WILL be working part time as an intern / tech while in classes so multi-tasking is a must. PCAT is a strong indicator of either those who memorize or think logically (depending if you use KAPLAN or Dr. Collins IMO).

Now the third is what will help make you stick out POST-PCAT evaluation : most schools have to look at every subject as a whole simply because of saturation of applicants in some areas. In a rural area with a good science background, those schools will grind on the math and science section more so than the others.

#3: EXPERIENCE : This ties in to my previous statement. During the time of your PCAT how many hours do you work and is it related to pharmacy practice (techniciain) or do you shadow? Hospital tech / retail tech ..... ANYTHING helps. With your stats alone depending on the university you do not stick out. Remember pharmacy schools will compare you to others who will most likely succeed ( if they lose you they Lose alot of MONEY and in no business economic standpoint does anyone want that).

I could go on and so can others, but with your stats alone you def. are wise taking the PCAT, but focus on your GPA just as much. If you plan on going to a low tier business making pharmacy program you may have a shot but dont live and breathe on this. ONLY apply instate and ask what the applicant pool quantity is like. Honestly evaluate why your GPA is what it is and why your truly struggling. The road to pharmacy school doesnt get easier and the loans for it are only accumulating so its best to know if its gong to be in your favor.

Reactions: 2 users
1. I got a 95 on the bio, but 51 on both the chem and quantitative. I'm majoring in chemistry so that part was super embarrassing, but my gen chem knowledge was really lacking and I was really sick leading up to the PCAT so I don't have anyone to blame but myself. Those two 51s are the reason I'm retaking the PCAT. I know I can do better, I simply need to brush up on my basic math and chemistry, so that won't be a big issue for me.

2. I'm getting a bachelors in chemistry in the spring. Depending on the amount of classes I would need to take, I might also fill the requirements to get my bachelors in bio too so I'm going to talk to an adviser ASAP. I'm living on my own and working part time in healthcare (not in a pharmacy, but I work in direct care).

3. I've volunteered in an outpatient and inpatient pharmacy on and off since my senior year of high school (senior in college now), shadowed an inpatient pharmacist, and have been working in direct care since for over three years now, so I'm not sure how great that sounds... But it's something, I guess.

Unfortunately, even with the amount of credits I'm taking both this semester and the next, I won't be able to pull my GPA up to a 3.0+. I know I don't have the greatest stats from undergrad, which is really unfortunate for me, but hopefully there's someone somewhere willing to accept me haha. I'm very serious about wanting to become a pharmacist, which my stats don't really show right now, so I just hope if I land an interview schools will be able to understand that and I can show that I really want to be a pharmacist.

Sorry if this was rambling and sounded stupid haha.

I'll emphasize something that many people usually look the other way at. Believe it or not, you do have schools out there (alot apparently) that will take bare minimum GPA 2.5 - 2.75. There is a strong correlation however, that these schools have tuition costs that IMO can ruin someone if they dont budget. When i say apply instate, i really mean apply instate or somewhere that the difference in cost to attend is not much. Do not get the same degree somewhere that will cost 250k+ with accumulation of compounded interest if you can get in-state for HALF cost (my instate cost for the sum of all four year tuition is around 90K)...on top of this, bare in mind, that the 16 - 19 credit of science is real. you screw up one semester, you wait a whole year with loans accumulating (happens in every school). I dont mean to scare or worry anyone, because pharmacy has much to offer AT THE RIGHT PRICE. Evaluate your classes, build up that GPA, if you must work a year as a tech in a hospital or retail setting that is nothing but a PLUS. that will get you a foot in the door.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the best advice I have ever read by a pharmacy student. I am applying for 2 schools in my state as well and your advice is spot on.

Hi everyone, I took the PCAT earlier this month and got a 72. It's not the most awful score, but I've also got a pretty low gpa (2.79ish) and I'm wondering if schools typically look at the composite score as a whole, or each individual section when making their decisions? I plan on retaking the PCAT again to improve my score, but I'm still curious if anyone can help me answer the question.

Honestly if your composite PCAT is above a 70 then I think this eases the tension but it really depends on the school. I've been told that unless you want to go to a top 10 school, a 70 and above is a decent shot. If you apply, I'd emphasize the difficult courseload you took as a chemistry major. Did you have to take Pchem or analytical chem? thiose aren't the easiest classes. This may substitute for a low chemistry score on the pcat. Honeslty I took the pcat 3 practice before the actual exam, and my subjects each time were different...I don't know how adcom can put a lot of weight on specific subsets.

Id sell those and maybe take some more prerequisites (speech for ex) at a community college, and when you do this the Pharmcas GPA will increase. Not sure how far along you are in the application process, but the adcom does recognize intelligence and motivation. My numbers are not extraordinary (it really annoys me when I see people post I made a 99 and 4.0), but I obtained interviews to all my schools of choice and am nervously waiting the decisions. As Hannibal Lecter said: to find the answer, "look deep within yourself". Good luck