Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

DO schools rankings/competitive admissions

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by jackets5, Nov 16, 2005.

1. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Okay, ive started researching DO schools and its philosophy for next years cycle. There really arent rankings for DO schools that "seperate" the Harvards and JHU from say Drexel. For DO schools could someone help me to figure out which schools have more competitive/stringent admissions than others from this list:

NOVA
    LECOM-Bradenton
    CCOM
    AZCOM
    Western-U

Thanks alot

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ifellinapothole

Ifellinapothole Membership Revoked
    Removed

Shut up. Stop worrying and apply. GO become a doctor and stop worrying.

4. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Im not worrying, its way to late now to apply send in my primary and then my secondary to these schools it would probally be a waste of money. I have no DO letter so my chances would be practically zero this time around. Im applying to all MD programs this year, and if i dont get in im applying again next year to both MD and DO programs. All i wanted to know is some admissions info on these DO schools. If you dont want to help out then keep your fu**ing mouth shut

5. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I'm not sure it's a waste to send it in now still. Some DO schools seem to do interviews later and acceptances later than MD schools. If your stats are good, you might still have a chance. My opinion is that it isn't too late.

6. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

yeah but i have no acutal experience with the DO profession, no shadowing or anything. The only reason i started doing research about DO is because a teamate of mines Dad is DO. I have no time till at least the begging of 2006 to shadow a DO physician and get a letter. I know that at alot of schools a DO letter is a requirment or highly recomended.

7. PlasticMan

PlasticMan Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think most schools require a LOR from a DO. I have no experience working with DO's either, and I'm hoping at getting accepted somewhere.

8. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    LOL! repeat that 5 times...Seems like you have a DO letter already. You don't have to shadow a DO to get a DO letter. I suggest you applying to DO schools now. Unless your goal is to apply to MD schools for at least 2 years.

what are your stats?

9. wannabedoctoo

wannabedoctoo Member
    5+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    There have been many similar discussions on the forum...
    "harvard of DOs"
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=236765&highlight=harvard

"applied, %interviewed, % accepted"
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=217901

Just do a search on the forum. Hope that helps.

10. maxhealth

maxhealth Langendorff Land
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You will probably not find official rankings anywhere, at least I haven't been able to. AZCOM claims to have the highest pass rate on the COMPLEX, WesternU claims to be the toughest to get in to, Touro claims to rank 11th in the country out of ALL med schools for primary care. One thing to remember, statistics can be manipulated to make them look very favorable, so take all of these rankings with a grain of salt.

As for no DO letter or experience, I applied this year with no DO letter or DO shadowing experience. I spoke with admissions offices and they advised me that it is better to get a letter from an MD who's known you for a year than from a DO who's known you for a few hours. I sent back 5 secondaries and got 4 interviews and accepted to both schools I've interviewed at so far, so a DO letter is not going to make or brake you.

You are definitely starting to run short on time for this cycle, but I would still give it a shot. Especially if you already have LOR writers in mind, as this will probably be your rate-limiting step.

Sorry to babble, hope this helps.

11. Archer14

Archer14 Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I suggest looking at the lists of residency positions past classes have had. Some have a variety of specialties while others dont. Pass rates on boeard exams don't necessarily mean a lot. A majority of the class could pass without obtaining a "good" score. If the school places students in competetive residency programs, chances are it is a good school.

12. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

My AMCAS GPA was 3.2 but it will be a little higher on the DO app because of a couple of retakes. My MCAT was a 27. In all honesty id rather go MD since it would make things easier, im not interested all in primary care and wont have to deal with a stigma sometimes associated with DO's. i personally have no issue with DO or MD after my name but to pretend others dont is ignorant. I want to be a doctor in the end but for practical reasons id rather have it be an MD. thanks for the help

13. HunterGatherer

HunterGatherer HunterGatherer

Attending Physician
    Your stats look good for DO schools if you get a GPA boost from DO calculations. Maybe its a good idea to talk to this DO about what you said here and he may change your opinion allowing you the peace of mind to apply this cycle. Good luck.

14. Sundarban1

Sundarban1 Devil in disguise
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup: :laugh:

15. Nate

Nate Missing

Resident [Any Field]
    This topic has been discussed ad nauseum and I see it going to a very bad place. The OP already stated he was more interested in MD school, if he/she is interested in more information please see the FAQ stuck at the top of the page. Closed, gone fishing

*edit* Re-opened, please keep it civil everyone. The OP is looking for advice on the schools he/she listed. Thanks

16. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student

How did you become a moderator?

cya

17. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    all these schools except for lecom-fl and ccom supplied usnews with their admissions data, so you can get it by either buying the online usnews service or trying to find a recent copy at a bookstore. ccom, azcom and comp seem to be at the more competitive end for do schools based on general buzz here and on their average scores.

18. jackets5

jackets5 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Exlawgirl,

what did you think of Western U. Of all the DO schools ive looked at so far, Western U is my favorite. I love the location and the fact they place 8 or 9 students into ortho last year at programs like Irvine and Stanford. thanks

19. tkim

tkim 10 cc's cordrazine
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We picked him.

20. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think he is a good moderator.

21. riceman04

10+ Year Member

Medical Student