DO schools require a letter from a DO doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jason9032

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I searched a bit, didn't find any info.

Which DO schools require a letter from a DO doctor? According to someone...all of them do, is this correct?

Members don't see this ad.

when you said you searched "a bit" did you mean not at all?

Which DO schools require a letter from a DO doctor? According to someone...all of them do, is this correct?

Most of the schools need a DO letter.
LECOM take the letter even after interview.
You have to read individual secondary/school web site and find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've never shadowed a DO doctor....

So I should find one and shadow a bit and ask for a letter?

about 2/3 of DO schools also accept a letter from an MD...the 2/3 I applied to.

I've never shadowed a DO doctor....

So I should find one and shadow a bit and ask for a letter?
yes. try this http://www.osteopathic.org/index.cfm?PageID=findado_main
If that doesn't give you some DOs in your area, that's ok. I went on my local hospital's website and looked at all the doctors, and eventually, one was a DO. you can call a few that interest you, and someone will be willing to let you shadow. I'm not sure what the general consensus is, but I shadowed once a week for a about a year, most people I know shadowed for a few months at 1x a week for a few hours.

UMDNJ-SOM is one school that doesn't...I only had an MD letter and got accepted no problem.

That said, it certainly is worth procuring one because it dramatically expands the range of DO schools you can apply to. Don't be surprised if you have a hard time finding a DO that will actually follow through on writing one, however; I shadowed a couple of DOs that didn't produce a letter at the end. That said, here's a little secret: the faculty members of the OMM department at many DO schools seem to be quite excited about allowing prospective students to shadow. Consequently, if you live near a DO campus I'd recommend contacting the OMM department and seeing if they'll let you shadow any of the attendings. This is especially effective if you end up applying to that campus, too.