1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do Schools See Other Schools?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kypdurron5, Jul 18, 2006.

1. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I was always under the impression that when you apply to medical school, each school can see the list of other schools that you have applied to. In fact, I would even SWEAR that I saw the school list while looking over one of my interviewer's shoulders (on the last page of the application). In addition, I read recently where someone said that schools know what other schools you've been accepted at. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I did the "print application" thing and it reads at the bottom:

"The list of your designated medical schools is provided here for your information. The schools to which you apply do not receive such
    a list of all schools you have designated."

Is this a horrible, sick lie, or have I been working under the wrong assumption all along? Or, is this something new for the 2007 cycle?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Everything I heard on these forums is that schools do not get to see the schools you're applying too until a certain time. It is either may 15th or when you are accepted to said school, I am not sure of which, sorry.

4. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was under the impression that they get to see. Some of my other interviewers asked which other schools I was applying...so probably they wouldn't know already.

5. Zoom-Zoom

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yeah, they don't know until the end. Not sure about whether it is after matriculation or not either.

6. DoctorPardi

DoctorPardi In Memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think once you are accepted they find out, either that or once you accept an acceptance or whatever you call it.

7. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    They don't see early on (it happened by accident in 2001-02 but AMCAS straightened out those bugs -- be glad you didn't apply that year -- it was horrible).

It is my understanding that once you have an offer from a school, then that school can see who else has made you an offer. Ultimately, the school can see a listing of each applicant to whom it made an offer, the other schools where the applicant had an offer and the school where the applicant matriculates. It gives the school an idea of the competition. (as if we didn't know).

8. braluk

braluk SDN Surgerynator
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Are interviewers allowed to ask where else you applied? and if they do, are you allowed to decline to answer that question?

9. kypdurron5

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm pretty sure interviewers are "allowed" to ask whatever they want, and you are "allowed" to decline to answer any question. If it's that big a deal you could always just tell them the schools you've applied to which are "lower-tier" than them. There's nothing that says you have to give a complete list. Anyway, I've had questions about my family, my childhood, my religion...all of which I consider to be quite personal. Still, I have nothing to hide and the interviewers which ask these questions have always said I can decline to respond at any time without penalty. I look at it this way...I chose to apply to medical school, and I chose to go to the interview and subject myself to these questions. Now I want the school to choose me, so I'm certainly not going to make it look like I'm hiding something and jeopardize that. While they may not specifically hold it against you, schools are "trying to get to know you" during the interview; so which students have they gotten to know better, the ones which openly and honestly answer each question, or the students who decline to answer personal questions?

10. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Can a school at which you are waitlisted see the schools that made you offers?