Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
So I'm an hs student and just had a question about DO students taking USMLEs and how COMs sponsor them.

Since most (if not all) DO schools sponsor their students to take step I, and I think step 2, and the MD degree is obtained by passing the 3 steps, then would DO schools sponsor their students to take all 3 steps and obtain the MD degree (say step 2 [cs & ck] during year 3) and take step 3 during year 4 (most MDs take it during intern year with ~2 weeks of on and off studying so shouldn't be too hard for 4th years)?

Is this a viable way to obtain an MD degree or is more then just the USMLEs needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2015
Midwest
Status
Medical Student
That's not how any of this works. To get an MD you must attend an MD granting institution. It isn't just the USMLE exams that make you an MD. If you go to a DO school you will receive the DO degree.

CoomassieBlue57

2+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2015
Status
Medical Student
A MD school grants a MD degree and a DO grants a DO degree. DO's used to have to take the USMLE to apply to the MD only residencies, but a new residency system is being put in place by 2020 to combine the old MD and DO residencies. Many DO students will continue to take the USMLE in thought that the old MD residencies will only look at their USMLE score (among other things). Both can select any field of medicine they want.

This thread should be moved to the Pre-Medical DO boards.

OP
H

Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh cool thanks

OP
H

Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
A MD school grants a MD degree and a DO grants a DO degree. DO's used to have to take the USMLE to apply to the MD only residencies, but a new residency system is being put in place by 2020 to combine the old MD and DO residencies. Many DO students will continue to take the USMLE in thought that the old MD residencies will only look at their USMLE score (among other things). Both can select any field of medicine they want.

This thread should be moved to the Pre-Medical DO boards.
No need I'll close it

Mad Jack

Critically Caring
5+ Year Member
Jul 27, 2013
4th Dimension
So I'm an hs student and just had a question about DO students taking USMLEs and how COMs sponsor them.

Since most (if not all) DO schools sponsor their students to take step I, and I think step 2, and the MD degree is obtained by passing the 3 steps, then would DO schools sponsor their students to take all 3 steps and obtain the MD degree (say step 2 [cs & ck] during year 3) and take step 3 during year 4 (most MDs take it during intern year with ~2 weeks of on and off studying so shouldn't be too hard for 4th years)?

Is this a viable way to obtain an MD degree or is more then just the USMLEs needed?

The United States Medical Licensing Exam is used for licensure, not the granting of degrees.

OP
H

Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
The United States Medical Licensing Exam is used for licensure, not the granting of degrees.
So what designation does an FMG have who passed these exams (say, from India; with an MBBS) to practice in the US?

OP
H

Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Nvm I got It... I'm dumb

hallowmann

Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
So what designation does an FMG have who passed these exams (say, from India; with an MBBS) to practice in the US?

They have an MBBS degree. Depending on the state, they may be permitted to use the "MD" designation in ads, cards, coats, etc. for simplicity as they have an "international equivalent" degree, but their degree is MBBS. As far as I know, no state permits a DO to claim to be an MD. In fact, its something actively opposed by the AOA.

At my institution (possibly in my current state?) I see the MBChB, MBBS, etc. degree designation all over.

OP
H

Hkhan

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 29, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah, I wasn't implying that COM graduates should plaster 'MD' at the end of their name, instead of 'DO', I was just under the [wrong] impression that the MD degree was obtained by passing the USMLEs; I know now that the MD degree can only be obtained by graduating MD school (so under my previous judgement, COM grads would have both DO and MD designation as they graduated COM school and passed the USMLEs).