Do Schools Talk to Each Other About Applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alphaDDS

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say I say to interviewer from school X, in response to a question about my experiences at other interviews, that while at school Y, I didn't like
the way the class reacted to us interviewees during the day. They weren't as excited about their school as I would have liked, and that turned me off. Let's then say that later on in the interview, I find out that interviewer graduated from school Y, and as it turns out my foot is way up my mouth.

What are the chances of the interviewer contacting his old school to tell them I didn't like the school or something negative about me like that? Seems like the unprofessional thing to do, but then again, it was unprofessional of me to put down another school.

Truth is there are aspects of school Y that I really liked, just that was one negative observation I made, and obviously I still wanna get in there.

Members don't see this ad.

As a general rule for interviewing: You should NEVER say anything negative during an interview whether it be about your bumpy plane ride to the school that made you sick....or something about another school you have visited.

As a general rule for interviewing: You should NEVER say anything negative during an interview whether it be about your bumpy plane ride to the school that made you sick....or something about another school you have visited.

Yeah, I didn't handle the interview well at that point. I did well otherwise, but I'm not counting on getting in. I'm more worried about the other school. School Y.

Members don't see this ad :)
For your future interviews, just try to put your best foot forward at all times. It probably matters less what you said but your attitude during the day. The schools are trying to get a sense of your personality and whether or not you'd be a good fit at their school. I wouldn't worry about what's happened in the past. Each interview is a learning experience.

It would really surprise me if they took the time to contact the other school, on top of that it would be pretty low to do so. I wouldn't worry too much about that, but at least you learned now that its best to keep your mouth shut :)

It would really surprise me if they took the time to contact the other school, on top of that it would be pretty low to do so. I wouldn't worry too much about that, but at least you learned now that its best to keep your mouth shut :)

:laugh: you're right.