no longer up

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tourocom2008

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello, does anyone know of an osteopathic school that accepts transfer students in the Southeast. I am currently an OMS I at a school in the midwest and would like to transfer somewhere warmer. I am from the midwest but lived in Georgia for a couple years after undergrad and plan to do so again once I graduate. I am not impressed with my school's as a whole and would like to be somewhere warmer. I get high grades in all my classes but just need a new change of scenery. Thanks for the help.
Also, all of the clinicals at this school are in the state so I would not be able to leave for the clincal years anyways.

Unless its a life altering issue, transfers only usually happen then after 2 years, I mean part of the issue is diff curriculums. Ive heard of medical issues being warranted, but change of scenery? Probably not.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello, does anyone know of an osteopathic school that accepts transfer students in the Southeast. I am currently an OMS I at a school in the midwest and would like to transfer somewhere warmer. I am from the midwest but lived in Georgia for a couple years after undergrad and plan to do so again once I graduate. I am not impressed with my school's as a whole and would like to be somewhere warmer. I get high grades in all my classes but just need a new change of scenery. Thanks for the help.
Also, all of the clinicals at this school are in the state so I would not be able to leave for the clincal years anyways.
That is one of the worst reasons I’ve heard for wanting a transfer.

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Unless its a life altering issue, transfers only usually happen then after 2 years, I mean part of the issue is diff curriculums. Ive heard of medical issues being warranted, but change of scenery? Probably not.
Yeah I was looking into transferring after my second year. Does that require life extenuating circumstances?

You can transfer in between first and second years if the curriculum matches, have to get on it quick tho. I think that's a terrible reason to transfer, but it really doesn't seem to matter. If the curriculum is matched and the school decides it wants you, it can happen. Ton of work and not worth it usually, but it can be done.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah I was looking into transferring after my second year. Does that require life extenuating circumstances?
Better tell your Dean of Students now then if you are serious, otherwise you are gonna delay yourself a year. Might already be too late if your 2nd year. Someone transferred into PCOM-GA posted a while back I think, but he said it took him a year to set up.

A lot of DO schools have rotations scattered all over the place. Does your school not have one south?

Don't leave a state school with in state rotations (I'm assuming OU-HCOM) because you want warmer weather...

Reactions: 5 users
This is literally the worst reason I’ve ever read for wanting a transfer.... and from a state school none the less....

It’s not going to happen.

This is literally the worst reason I’ve ever read for wanting a transfer.... and from a state school none the less....

It’s not going to happen.
I think the releasing dean and the accepting dean both have to discuss and agree before it can occur, usually for extreme circumstances only.

Reactions: 1 users
I think the releasing dean and the accepting dean both have to discuss and agree before it can occur, usually for extreme weather circumstances only.

Minor improvement there.

Op copy paste that to your dean and you should be good to go!

Snowflakes... The cold is good for you. Your next stop should be a FM residency in Anchorage, AK.

Stay at a state school at all costs

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow, OP is at a state school! What a colossal mistake it would be to goto the other 'not-for-profit' schools. In both cost and opportunity this is a terrible thought. The good news is your transfer to a worse school will be easier cause you started off in an established one.

You’d go to a more expensive school for a lower quality 3rd year education? Can I transfer into your slot if you pull the trigger on this terrible idea?

Actually the "state school" that I go to hikes their tuition up to over 50 grand for the clinical years (their reasoning being you are in school for 12 months instead of 9), making it cost quite a bit more than some of the private schools that charge in the 40's for every year. Was thinking about lecom considering I would be saving like 20 grand a year. Also I believe clinical education quality depends more on site and not institution.
Trading a state school for Lecom Bradington? I really have heard it all now. You know like half the class doesn't get to stay in Florida for rotations?

Actually the "state school" that I go to hikes their tuition up to over 50 grand for the clinical years (their reasoning being you are in school for 12 months instead of 9), making it cost quite a bit more than some of the private schools that charge in the 40's for every year. Was thinking about lecom considering I would be saving like 20 grand a year. Also I believe clinical education quality depends more on site and not institution.
Didn’t know that about the price. My school shares some sites with ouhcom and can tell you right now they’re better than most DO schools and almost definitely better than anything LECOM B has to offer.

Well I can tell you first hand that the state school I go to is not high quality . The overgrowth of bureaucracy (that all public universities seem to have these days) is completely out of control here and is leading to the school having an extremely disorganized curriculum and overall functioning. The school I go to is also already exceptionally easy and I believe it intentionally recruits less competitive people in hopes of increasing numbers of primary care graduates (and is doing other things in the curriculum to sabotage people's changes at landing competitive specialties) (I might to do primary care anyways but this is still concerning nevertheless).
What opportunities exactly would I be missing out on? Many of these schools appear to have the same opportunities with similar or some even better residency placements. I am looking at LECOM (who everyone bitches about) and they seem to always place people in high competitive residencies and are fairly well known as far as DO schools go.
Not going to claim your curriculum isn't messed up or that I know your school better than you, but to trade a school with a home hospital and residencies for one that ships half its students all over the eastern US like a Caribbean school is dumb. And that situation is pretty much most schools in the Southeast.

Oh haha I did not no that, but perhaps another one of the new DO schools in the Southeast (there are many). What is wrong with lecom anyways, they are one of the only do schools that have name recognition in the allopathic world and do have decent residency placements
Maybe Campbell, really none of them. Some of them do a better job at 'regional sites' like ACOM KYCOM and LMU-DCOM. I believe NSU does actually get all theirs in Florida, but they have some terrible 4th year policy with mandatory rural rotations that are mandatory for both time and location (Pahokee, fl I believe is one of them). Just a bad trade.

Oh haha I did not no that, but perhaps another one of the new DO schools in the Southeast (there are many). What is wrong with lecom anyways, they are one of the only do schools that have name recognition in the allopathic world and do have decent residency placements
LECOM up north is fine and gets a bad rep on SDN. LECOM B notoriously has had issues finding 3rd year rotations IN THE SOUTHEAST for several years.

All the other ones are pretty similar to the price you’ll be paying but with probably less affiliated residencies.

You also have to think, 3rd and 4th year is what your schools been waiting for. It’s when they get to charge you for leaving them alone basically. You think they’ll fall all over themselves to give up the most profitable part of educating you?

I have heard that rural sites can actually be better because you get more one on one with the physicians and hands on. Don't have a problem with that here.
If those physicians want to teach you. But if their group is pocketing the cash and not paying them, you can see the interest go down real fast.

Preclinicals suck, ohio (as a state) sucks (sorry to all my ohio-ians on the forum), but your schools clinical education will pay off 10 fold. Im not usually one to say this but, suck it up.

The grass is always greener my friend. Since school is so easy for you right now, spend your time utilizing the resources youre taking for granted. Get involved with research (should be easier for you at a school affiliated with a state university than most other schools), make connections with people in your OPTI, or even heck use this extra time you have with a “easy” curriculum and grind out some boards self study.

Once clinicals come around and you can do almost every rotation with a resident team, form early connections with these programs, and have a solid researc resume to boot you can come back here and thank us :)

Sorry for being so harsh OP but i genuinely think you should consider whether youre just having a grass is always greener thought process here or if you genuinely cannot survive another couple years in OH

You need to perish the thought, quite frankly. There's no way two deans are going to agree to let you transfer for that reason or any other made up reason without evidence. Find some things you like about your school and stick to them. You're in what's considered a solid school, so there ought to be at least some positives to focus on as you make it through.

and like @Scrubs101 says above me, there is literally no way to know if another school is better/worse. There are always curricular things that you don't see up front. Maybe you'd ironically end up back north for rotations (LECOM-B). Not to mention, it will be really hard to make good friends as that honeymoon phase is gone in the first few months of M1.

I think the only reason one can transfer in the first year is, if there is a medical reason such as an environment not being ideal for a known chronic condition.

Well if other schools have lower quality education than Ouhcom that is a scary thought for the future of medicine
We all have gripes about our school, but its bad form to trash your institution on SDN. All that really does is make people think poorly of your school and by extension, you.

Another way to think about it is that this is probably the first time I’ve read anything negative about ouhcom. I can’t say that about most other schools so what makes you think the grass is definitely greener elsewhere?

Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.