DO DO schools to apply to? 3.472 cgpa and 3.37 sgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BunnyMan17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying to DO schools this cycle but I'm a little worried as I have a C in cell bio and C+ in biochem 1 (I did manage a B+ in biochem 2). I'm in the process of retaking those now but I won't be able to update them until later when AACOMAS does grade updates. Right now they're bringing my GPA down to 3.47-c and 3.37-s.
I don't get MCAT scores back until June 21 but for what it's worth my AAMC FL sample test was C/P 85%, CR 92%, B/B 80%, and P/S 85%. I go to UVa for undergrad, majoring in biochemistry, and I'm a Va resident .

My letters of rec are good and I think my primary essay is actually pretty solid. I've had a lot of med students and pre-med advising go over it multiple times.

As far as EC type experiences go:
-I've got ~100 hours hospital volunteering, all patient contact, was a physical therapy aid for much of it--
-I was a mentor/tutor for AVID at the local high school my 2nd year
-I've got ~75 hours MD shadowing (neonatology, pathology, infectious disease) and ~20 hours DO shadowing (family medicine, did get a letter)
-I was in the fencing club 1st and 2nd year
-I'm active in one of our christian fellowships and have been on mission trips to the middle east and spain. I'm also house dad for one of the fellowship houses (think RA who supervises paying the bills)
-I'm active in the minority pre-health honor society (note that I'm actually not a minority, it's a long story) and served on the exec board 2nd year
-I've researched in 3 different labs but mostly (~1.5 years) in a medicinal chemistry lab. No 1st author publications but I've got my name on a few things
-Eagle scout and assistant scoutmaster during the summer
-Worked at chick-fil-a during breaks through Spring 2015 (started in 2009)
-I tutor orgo and gen chem on the side
---Probably a few other small things I'm forgetting but the above are the most significant

Right now my school list is as follows:
All the A.T. Still schools
ACOM
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
BCOM
CUSOM
All the Edward Via schools
Both LECOMs
LUCOM
Lincoln Memorial University–DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Both PCOMs
Rowan
All the Touros
West Virginia SOM

If y'all could chime in and suggest schools to add/take off that'd be great. I think my chances are better at the newer schools and I know a lot depends on the MCAT. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I like your EC's! GPA is average. If you can do well on your retakes and get it up just a little, that'd be great.

Like you said, going to depend on your MCAT. But good sample test percentiles.

List looks great! Forum is a little biased on LUCOM, I'd do research before applying there. You could add some more midwest schools if you wouldn't mind going to school there. Touros might be a reach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If you pull off those test percentiles on your actual test you will probably be in decent shape for MD school. I would probably add COMP and COMP Northwest with a solid MCAT score and as Halcyon45 said do some research on LUCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
With those GPAs, any DO school.

I can't recommend LUCOM.

I'm applying to DO schools this cycle but I'm a little worried as I have a C in cell bio and C+ in biochem 1 (I did manage a B+ in biochem 2). I'm in the process of retaking those now but I won't be able to update them until later when AACOMAS does grade updates. Right now they're bringing my GPA down to 3.47-c and 3.37-s.
I don't get MCAT scores back until June 21 but for what it's worth my AAMC FL sample test was C/P 85%, CR 92%, B/B 80%, and P/S 85%. I go to UVa for undergrad, majoring in biochemistry, and I'm a Va resident .

My letters of rec are good and I think my primary essay is actually pretty solid. I've had a lot of med students and pre-med advising go over it multiple times.

As far as EC type experiences go:
-I've got ~100 hours hospital volunteering, all patient contact, was a physical therapy aid for much of it--
-I was a mentor/tutor for AVID at the local high school my 2nd year
-I've got ~75 hours MD shadowing (neonatology, pathology, infectious disease) and ~20 hours DO shadowing (family medicine, did get a letter)
-I was in the fencing club 1st and 2nd year
-I'm active in one of our christian fellowships and have been on mission trips to the middle east and spain. I'm also house dad for one of the fellowship houses (think RA who supervises paying the bills)
-I'm active in the minority pre-health honor society (note that I'm actually not a minority, it's a long story) and served on the exec board 2nd year
-I've researched in 3 different labs but mostly (~1.5 years) in a medicinal chemistry lab. No 1st author publications but I've got my name on a few things
-Eagle scout and assistant scoutmaster during the summer
-Worked at chick-fil-a during breaks through Spring 2015 (started in 2009)
-I tutor orgo and gen chem on the side
---Probably a few other small things I'm forgetting but the above are the most significant

Right now my school list is as follows:
All the A.T. Still schools
ACOM
Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine of Midwestern University
Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine
BCOM
CUSOM
All the Edward Via schools
Both LECOMs
LUCOM
Lincoln Memorial University–DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Both PCOMs
Rowan
All the Touros
West Virginia SOM

If y'all could chime in and suggest schools to add/take off that'd be great. I think my chances are better at the newer schools and I know a lot depends on the MCAT. Thanks!

Thanks guys! That's good to hear and I'll definitely do some more research on LUCOM.

Also, just a thought.... the first Summer class ends June 25.. Only 4 days after my MCAT scores come out. I don't know how fast the prof will turn around final grades but if I get an A with grade replacement it will bring the GPA up to 3.47-s/3.525-c. Do y'all think I'm better off waiting until then to submit or just submit in the next day or two? (as I was planning). Normally I would think a few weeks wouldn't make a huge difference but I don't know what verification time would be like at that point.