DO Schools Tuition VS MD School Tuition Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdaniels

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was speaking to a friend who wants to go DO but is concerned with The tuition. Here in Fl Nova is about 25k a year plus housing for a FL resident where as the The MD schools Gainsville and Tampa are only a fraction of the cost,around 3grand I think plus housing.
Why is the DO tuition so high? Are they all private schools? has anyone broken down DO schools by tuition Lowest to highest?
If this has been brought up before I apologize as the search feature is gone and I could not find anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Tuition really varies based on private v. state schools rather than osteopathic v. allopathic. That being said, I believe that the majority of osteopathic schools are private, and therefore have realitively higher tuitions.

I agree; it really depends on private vs public schools. Also, it depends on whether you are a resident or not. I will be attending MSUCOM next year, and it is about 27K for tuition and living expenses (I am a MI resident). And I think that the MD school at MSU costs the same as the DO school. I was also accepted to LECOM, which is private. It was about 43K for everything. So, it really just depends. It's all going to be loans anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! are there any Public DO schools?

mdaniels--
There are public DO schools. I know that Michigan State is one of them. I'll have to check on the entire list. More importantly, tuition depends on your state of residency. Tuition can vary from $1000 to $9000 depending on what state you live in. These schools include--Nova, UMDNJ, Ohio, Texas, Michigan State, WV, Oklahoma, Lake Erie, Chicago...I hope this helps.

Check out <a href="http://www.aacom.org." target="_blank">www.aacom.org.</a>

You will find a list of 19 DO Schools with their In-state/Out-of-State tuition costs. This is not their student budget/living expenses, just tuition. Many are significantly less costly than MD schools.

Good luck.

I am a OK resident and my tuition for next year at OSU-COM is around 10,000/year. OU medical school (a public allopathic school) runs about 9,500/year. Also, the cost of living in OK is faily cheap. I am getting a nice one-bedroom apt., w/ washer and dryer for around 400$ a month. :cool:

nice bump of a 10 year old thread. The person who made the last previous post is a friend of mine who has been out of residency and in private practice for nearly 3 years.

nice bump of a 10 year old thread. The person who made the last previous post is a friend of mine who has been out of residency and in private practice for nearly 3 years.

Holy schnikes, I didn't even realize it was a 10 year old thread. I was wondering why so many of the osteopathic schools were so expensive. Coming into the situation with $100k plus of undergrad loans makes me very wary of some of these schools, which is very unfortunate. :-(

Holy schnikes, I didn't even realize it was a 10 year old thread. I was wondering why so many of the osteopathic schools were so expensive. Coming into the situation with $100k plus of undergrad loans makes me very wary of some of these schools, which is very unfortunate. :-(

Even though it is a 10 year old thread, the reasons are valid.

Yep. I just wish they weren't a factor. I really want to apply to TUCOM but just can't afford to take out over $70k a year to attend. No biggie. There are other choices. It's nice to know why they're so expensive, though. I'm glad this thread got bumped.

Yep. I just wish they weren't a factor. I really want to apply to TUCOM but just can't afford to take out over $70k a year to attend. No biggie. There are other choices. It's nice to know why they're so expensive, though. I'm glad this thread got bumped.

50k* and you can probably get a roommate to live with you to max at 60k a year. But otherwise if you're looking to not spend a lot then consider LECOM - 30k a year + like 10k a year in living expenses.

And it's expensive because it is private and does not get subsidized by taxes. All private school costs about 50k a year ( Save for DMU + a few others).

Unless you have mouths to feed, and/or a spouse/family member who needs your financial support, tuition expenses should not be a detriment to attending a US MD/DO medical school for anyone regardless of socioeconomic background. There are ample amounts of loan (public/private) out there to support a student doctor. The investment is well worth it, if one sincerely wishes to practice medicine.

Unless you have mouths to feed, and/or a spouse/family member who needs your financial support, tuition expenses should not be a detriment to attending a US MD/DO medical school for anyone regardless of socioeconomic background. There are ample amounts of loan (public/private) out there to support a student doctor. The investment is well worth it, if one sincerely wishes to practice medicine.

Yes, that would apply to me. See the portion of my post in another thread to get an bit of an idea of my situation:

I've already accumulated over $100k in my undergraduate loans and own my own home and vehicle (read an additional $100k). Now consider my wife's debt, nearing $200k in her undergraduate and graduate loans combined, and the fact that she'll be making $30-50k a year when she graduates (hind-sight is always 20-20). We're part of a growing trend of an increasingly economically disadvantaged cohort of incoming med students. Needless to say, I'm looking at all of my options as I hope to enter med school this summer. It's very frightening regardless of the many positive and negative things mentioned above. Nevertheless, I felt the following two options needed a little elaboration for those of you leaning on them as potential solutions to your future indebtedness.

For those interested in the Public Service Loan Forgiveness programs . . .

I am very sincere and eager to pursue medicine. After years of working in the field and doing so well in the sciences, I know there's nothing else out there for me. Thus I must choose wisely in accumulating more debt, especially if I pursue primary care.

Yes, that would apply to me. See the portion of my post in another thread to get an bit of an idea of my situation:

I am very sincere and eager to pursue medicine. After years of working in the field and doing so well in the sciences, I know there's nothing else out there for me. Thus I must choose wisely in accumulating more debt, especially if I pursue primary care.

yup, as I said having a spouse and/or kids really does complicate things even if one sincerely wants to practice medicine. Your situation is that you have a wife who's taking in her own independent income, you have a house (hopefully you're not paying a mortgage on this still), no kids just yet. A good portion of your wife's income is probably going towards paying off that 200k in debt. You yourself have some time to pay back your loans if you start med school----which is totally doable even with the 100k you're coming in with, even in primary care!!! go speak to attendings not med students on this one and you'll see.

Before you make a decision you have to make sure that your wife is ok in basically living an economically stagnant life for 4 years (at least on your end). You will probably qualify for welfare programs as well to keep things afloat for that time if you're still hesitant in taking out more private loans to cover living costs.

yup, as I said having a spouse and/or kids really does complicate things even if one sincerely wants to practice medicine. Your situation is that you have a wife who's taking in her own independent income, you have a house (hopefully you're not paying a mortgage on this still), no kids just yet. A good portion of your wife's income is probably going towards paying off that 200k in debt. You yourself have some time to pay back your loans if you start med school----which is totally doable even with the 100k you're coming in with, even in primary care!!! go speak to attendings not med students on this one and you'll see.

Before you make a decision you have to make sure that your wife is ok in basically living an economically stagnant life for 4 years (at least on your end). You will probably qualify for welfare programs as well to keep things afloat for that time if you're still hesitant in taking out more private loans to cover living costs.

Dude, I totally forgot about foodstamps and such! That'll definitely help if we qualify. Thanks for mentioning that. I probably would've overlooked it otherwise.

WOW. I didnt know there were public medical schools that cheap. Im gonna be an "in state" student at UMDNJ in the fall, and the tuition plus fees is already around 37k, and is expected to go up next year. With living expenses it will be well over 55K. I should have moved during my gap year.