DO schools with best speciality residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IndieKush

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are borderline MD but ideal for DO (3.6sgpa, 507 MCAT, 1000+ clinical hours, 500+ research hours).

I'm not applying to DO b/c of my stats, I really do appreciate the osteopathic philosophy. With a strong interest in orthopedics or anesthesiology, I was wondering what are the best DO schools for these residencies? Or basically residencies with strong match rates for the specialities. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

dont know off the top of my head but you can view the match rate/what type they matched with for most schools by a simple google search

My stats are borderline MD but ideal for DO (3.6sgpa, 507 MCAT, 1000+ clinical hours, 500+ research hours).

I'm not applying to DO b/c of my stats, I really do appreciate the osteopathic philosophy. With a strong interest in orthopedics or anesthesiology, I was wondering what are the best DO schools for these residencies? Or basically residencies with strong match rates for the specialities. Thanks

Ultimately, studying for the boards and doing well falls on you. Of course, some schools gear their curriculum to better prepare students for that, but it's still mainly on you.

Usually, the established schools are more known quantities, and might offer opportunities in research, so those are your best bet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always advocate for the original 5 and the state schools.

In the end, you'll bare the fruits of your own labor. Different schools will have different/stronger resources, but you'll be the one that will have to utilize them properly.

Reactions: 5 users
I always advocate for the original 5 and the state schools.

In the end, you'll bare the fruits of your own labor. Different schools will have different/stronger resources, but you'll be the one that will have to utilize them properly.
which are the original 5?

Reactions: 1 user
KCU, DMU, ATSU, MWU, & PCOM (in no particular order.)

Edit: State Schools: MSU, OSU, & OUH

@stickgirl390

Last edited:
But to maximize your matching success won't you have to take the USMLE on top of the COMPLEX? Not only an inconvenience but does anyone feel taking them both diminishes the performance on each (but mostly the USMLE, the secondary one) because you're not able to focus as long on preparing for just 1?

If you want to match Ortho, you'll need to take the USMLEs and do extremely well on them -- Whether it diminishes your performance on COMLEX or not, you just will.

Reactions: 1 users
But to maximize your matching success won't you have to take the USMLE on top of the COMPLEX? Not only an inconvenience but does anyone feel taking them both diminishes the performance on each (but mostly the USMLE, the secondary one) because you're not able to focus as long on preparing for just 1?
RVUCOM makes all their students take both USMLE and COMLEX rather than giving them an option. Last year, their class scored several points higher on average on the USMLE then their state MD school. Also, I believe their COMLEX scores are one of the best in the country, and their match list is very impressive. So no, I think it's definitely possible to do very well on both exams.

Reactions: 8 users
KCU, DMU, ATSU, MWU, & PCOM (in no particular order.)

Edit: State Schools: MSU, OSU, & OUH

@stickgirl390

I help in resident recruitment and I gotta be honest, I still don't know the distinction between those schools and others. The only place I know more than others is PCOM because someoen told me it was the best DO school in undergrad.

Point is, I am not sure if the distinction is that great.

I help in resident recruitment and I gotta be honest, I still don't know the distinction between those schools and others. The only place I know more than others is PCOM because someoen told me it was the best DO school in undergrad.

Maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else, but aren't you training in the Midwest? If so, I would think you'd at least be familiar with the ones that are in the Midwest as well. PCOM is the only one that isn't.

RVUCOM makes all their students take both USMLE and COMLEX rather than giving them an option. Last year, their class scored several points higher on average on the USMLE then their state MD school. Also, I believe their COMLEX scores are one of the best in the country, and their match list is very impressive. So no, I think it's definitely possible to do very well on both exams.
Where are you getting your info on boards averages from?

Maybe I'm mixing you up with someone else, but aren't you training in the Midwest? If so, I would think you'd at least be familiar with the ones that are in the Midwest as well. PCOM is the only one that isn't.

I am training in the midwest but I did not grow up here or went to med school here.

As a result I am not familiar with indivdual DO schools here or elsewhere besides PCOM really. I just say they went to a DO school to the committee.

To a MD, a lot of DO school have very complicated names and names don't even suggest where they are located. I also do not see enough of a difference between their applicants to really tease them apart.

For example, faculties woos and ahhs if we match someone from Columbia or Harvard, but they honestly don't care if our DO match is from.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding, the way the two tests (USMLE & COMLEX) ask questions is slightly different, and the COMLEX has OMM... so theoretically if you perform well on the USMLE, you should be performing well on COMLEX.

From the reading I've done, it seems that students study for USMLE, take USMLE, then take COMLEX a week or two after, using that week or two to cram OMM in between exams.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

Most people just study for the USMLE hard core and then take a week after USMLE to cram OMM and then take COMLEX.

Yeah to ACGME programs I've always assumed a DO is just a DO, unless it's a program really close geographically. However, I really do think as a student you have better opportunities at those schools than at the newer or more rural schools. Schools like OSU and MSU have lots of actual home residency programs and quality rotations and easier opportunities for research. The other schools just have more experience with medical education and I personally think there are some better advising and opportunities at those schools than at a school like ACOM or LMU for example. This is all opinion drawn from interviewing at both types of places and knowing students at most of those schools too.

I am training in the midwest but I did not grow up here or went to med school here.

As a result I am not familiar with indivdual DO schools here or elsewhere besides PCOM really. I just say they went to a DO school to the committee.

To a MD, a lot of DO school have very complicated names and names don't even suggest where they are located. I also do not see enough of a difference between their applicants to really tease them apart.

For example, faculties woos and ahhs if we match someone from Columbia or Harvard, but they honestly don't care if our DO match is from.

Yeah I don't think anyone is falling all over themselves for applicants from one DO school versus another. I just assumed being in the Midwest you'd see a higher percentage of DOs from certain programs and become more familiar with those schools over time. I guess not. I know very few DOs apply/match rads anyway so I wonder if there are more fields where this is the case.

Yeah I don't think anyone is falling all over themselves for applicants from one DO school versus another. I just assumed being in the Midwest you'd see a higher percentage of DOs from certain programs and become more familiar with those schools over time. I guess not. I know very few DOs apply/match rads anyway so I wonder if there are more fields where this is the case.

About 1/3 of the rads in my hospital are DOs and my hospital isn't even the most DO-friendly in the area. Definitely not a specialty out of reach for DOs if you have a solid app.

Last edited:

We have plenty of DO colleagues. We just don't make a big deal about which school they came from.

About 1/3 of the rads in my hospital are DOs and my hospital isn't even the most DO-friendly in the area. Definitely not a specialty out of reach for DOs if you have a solid app.

Not saying that. Just a lot of match lists aren't heavily represented with rads matches. Like 0-5 per school.

You haven't heard of Oklahoma State or Michigan State? Unless you mean you didn't know they had a med school that is DO.

If you score about average on the usmle (225) or above and apply to 40ish programs, I think you'll match anesthesia SOMEWHERE. It probably doesn't matter, so much what school you come from. My wife and I are both graduating DO anesthesia residents.

Ortho is a different matter, especially with the AOA/ACGME merger. I'd probably see which DO schools have acgme approved orthopedic residencies, which can be found by going to the "DO opportunities" website (just Google it).

can anyone that knows talk about the competitiveness of oncology. I know rad oncology is very competitive but i heard there is an oncology track through IM. Is that true/ does anybody mind giving more info on it like competitiveness and other general info. thanks

can anyone that knows talk about the competitiveness of oncology. I know rad oncology is very competitive but i heard there is an oncology track through IM. Is that true/ does anybody mind giving more info on it like competitiveness and other general info. thanks
2/3 of DOs applying for acgme heme/onc match.

Choose a DO school with a strong OPTI with a orthopedic programs in their vicinity. Make sure they make the cut through the merger by going on the AOA residency website.

For example, KCU has 1-2 ortho programs under their OPTI which essentially makes kcu a feeder institution into those programs.

With a strong interest in orthopedics or anesthesiology, I was wondering what are the best DO schools for these residencies? Or basically residencies with strong match rates for the specialities. Thanks

None. Go to MD school. As a DO, you will not be interviewed by the vast, vast majority of Ortho residencies.

Anesthesiology is not competitive whatsoever for MDs, but as a DO you will still be limited. But since anesthesiology is becoming less and less competitive, top programs like MGH have even started taking DOs.

And by the way, there is no such thing as a DO philosophy. Get into the best MD school you can. You can also apply to the older schools like KCUMB in case MD schools don't give you any attention.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Honestly think its much better to apply to all the MDs you want and then do the original 6/state school DOs. The last thing you want is to have to wait another year to get into medical school at all. Cover all your bases the first time around to save a big headache and the 'reapplicant' stigma. Sure the DOs will make it harder if you're dead set on ortho, but it isnt impossible. And almost everyone changes their specialty preference so who knows. In my opinion, better to not miss out on a year of doctor salary then wait and end up not even liking ortho in the long run (not saying itll happen to you but its possible). Good luck

Usually it’s the state schools that take very few out of state students.

I know Ohio, Rowan, PCOM and MSU have ortho programs

not to hijack this thread but is non surgical cardiology DO friendly. i may be wrong but if what i read was correct it is a subspeciality of IM and i know that IM is very DO friendly but im not sure where to look for the subspecialty matches. can anybody shed some light on this

not to hijack this thread but is non surgical cardiology DO friendly. i may be wrong but if what i read was correct it is a subspeciality of IM and i know that IM is very DO friendly but im not sure where to look for the subspecialty matches. can anybody shed some light on this

Cardiology is competitive but is doable as a DO due to the large number of fellowship programs. Where you do your IM residency is the key for getting cards, ideally you want a university program or a community program with in house spots. Not going to either of these doesn’t preclude you from cards but it makes the climb a lot more steep.

What made you choose KCU over RVU?

The better-known and higher-quality DO schools are going to leave you in better position to place in a specialty than new schools or smaller programs.

Any data to support this? For DOs, it is the individual, not the school, that determines where someone ends up. No one in ACGME knows the difference between the DO schools and they're all generally lumped in the same category. I agree that you should go to the older schools, but the idea that these schools are better know in the medical world is a strange one and hard to believe.

loll what do you mean?

Look at the resident roster for the PCOM surgical programs. The large majority are all from PCOM, it gives you a huge leg up if you are from there.

Any data to support this? For DOs, it is the individual, not the school, that determines where someone ends up. No one in ACGME knows the difference between the DO schools and they're all generally lumped in the same category. I agree that you should go to the older schools, but the idea that these schools are better know in the medical world is a strange one and hard to believe.

I think you are confusing attributes like their resources or knowledge of the match with pedigree. KCU/DMU/etc. are not 'better' because of their pedigree, because as you acknowledged, there isn't much distinction between DO schools when it comes to the ACGME match (speculation on my part, but that's how it sounds). The older schools are 'better' because they're more established, and in doing so tend to have aspects of medical school like curriculum, rotations, resources to aid students, etc. more figured out. I don't want to make that a blanket statement, though, because I even see older schools doing poorly in certain areas as well, and MUCOM was one of the most impressive schools I visited. Ultimately, like you said, personal performance is far and away the biggest aspect of doing well as a DO. You really need to claw your way into the position you want, and just going to KCU or DMU alone isn't going to open doors the way going to Harvard would. I still believe going somewhere like KCU will push an individual to greater heights than going somewhere like LUCOM, though.

I still believe going somewhere like KCU will push an individual to greater heights than going somewhere like LUCOM, though.

I agree with basically everything you said, including the quoted.

I agree with basically everything you said, including the quoted.

How can something like this even be speculated without LUCUM having graduated a class?

I’m just curious. Just the fact that it’s a new school?

Couldn’t the professors there have impressive connections that enable a crazy good match? (Falwell is literally buddies with the POTUS, not that that is a positive trait, but as far as connections go...)

I’m just saying this because I’m reading so much about RVU’s first few years, and seeing so many people (even adcoms) eating crow because it is now a respected school...

People used to be disgusted at RVU. Now people consider it a pretty good choice compared to many older schools.

Is this all test scores? Doubtful.

Have you ever spoken to any PDs in ACGME? No one cares about what DO school you went to. It's all about research, Step 1, and connections.

For starters, compare their placements. KCU is around 40 percent specialty and 80 percent ACGME. Contrast with other end - Western Lebanon for example - and its 95 percent primary care and 30 percent ACGME.

Is this all test scores? Doubtful.

Here you go giving false info again. Western Lebanon (COMP-NW) matches nearly 66% in primary care.

Source: COMP Match Day 2017 - WesternU (see image caption)

Last edited:
My wife and I both matched anesthesia. You basically just need an average usmle score and you should match somewhere.

How can something like this even be speculated without LUCUM having graduated a class?

Even if it's more individual than school (regarding the match for DOs), I'd rather surround myself with academically stronger students at place that has been graduating students for more than 100 years (using KCU as an example).

Isn't TCOM also a state school?
People often forget about it often because it's part of the TMDSAS with the other Texas med schools. But I put TCOM with OSU and MSU and think TCOM has the lowest DO tuition of all.

you have toooooo many emotions for us to continue. i appreciate that you are frustrated - physicians live leaner in SF and LA than semi-skilled in Texas - but you have some weird pathos for me kid.

and you cited data from the wrong campus in midst of ad hom. western has a campus in pomona pa which is a good do school, and a campus in lebanon oregon that is in league with worst DO schools

Pomona is in CA, not PA. And no, I cited data from the correct campus:

From the source: "A total of 96 COMP-Northwest students participated in the Match, and nearly two-thirds landed programs in primary care."

COMP-Northwest is the campus in Lebanon, Oregon.

What made you choose KCU over RVU?
To avoid hijacking the thread, I'll keep it brief.

I really liked both schools mainly because of the curriculum. I would've been happy to go to RVU had I been rejected by KCU.

In the end, it came down to KCU being more established, cheaper for basically the exact same curriculum(both tuition and COL), and location for my SO. I think both schools are amazing DO programs.

Reactions: 2 users