DO schools with hospital affiliation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackets5

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What ive been reading is that some DO schools, since they dont have their own teaching hospitals. Students have to travel around alot and do some rotations outside the hospital setting. Also, at some schools ive read that the rotations are not very well organized. Which DO schools do the student rotate at a main hospital or so connected with the school and limits the logistic problems for students. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure what you actually want, maybe to be able to walk between school and a hospital but here is some info for my COM.

Here are Touro Nevada we have all of our rotations in town for the thrid year (required, note for electives if you want to rotate somewhere else you can). Our fourth year details are still be worked out (we are a new COM) but the Administration is making it so you do not have to leave town for a fourth year rotation either.

Our campus is not withing walking distance of a hospital but we are affiliated with UMC (Las Vegas), Valley, St. Rose, Sunrise, Desert Springs, Veteran’s Clinic/Hospital – Nellis AFB, Southwest Med Center and Fremont Med Center. I think those are most of them. New residencies are in the works and much more growth in our area.

Currently Touro Mare Island students (but not any longer after we start) and Reno allopath students rotate in Las Vegas. Our rotations are newly inked contracts so all the spots are for TUNCOM students!! No worry about not having enough spots.

Hope that helps. Other schools chime in!

Nik

UMDNJ-SOM has a hospital next door.

Members don't see this ad :)
PCOM doesn't have its own hospital anymore, but we have many affiliated hospitals, most of which are in Philadelphia.

does anyone know what hospitals NOVA is affiliated with?

Jack Swift said:
does anyone know what hospitals NOVA is affiliated with?

Jack Swift... I like your avtar... where did you get it.

Can we get one with Stewie on there?

CCOM has it's own teaching hospital, but I've heard students prefer the surrounding hospitals better. Because it's located in Chicago, CCOM has a lot of hospital affliates in the area. Because there is six medical schools in Chicago alone, many of the rotations can be done with other med students, so you get a lot of options.

The school also requires you to stay in the city for third year while 4th year gives you an option of leaving the city and doing away rotations.

As for rotation structures, I have asked about this as well, and CCOM has mandatory half-day classes (at least it says mandatory on their website) every friday for third year and an exam after every rotation which counts for something like half your grade per that rotation. This is on top of whatever lectures you may get from the hospital rotations.

I'm not sure how much classroom structure is available for 4th year since students do rotate away. I don't know if this is what you were referring to when you asked about organization of the rotations, but there is curriculum 'structure' here.

Also, since CCOM has been around for a bit, I've been told it's rotations are pretty well established, take it for you will. I hope that helps!

docbill said:
Jack Swift... I like your avtar... where did you get it.

Can we get one with Stewie on there?

ahah i dont know, i just found it one day. i dont know why i laugh at mario having sex with a dead princess toadstool, i just do :smuggrin:

The plan for the 150 bed hospital got shot down.

In regards to NSUCOM, the rotation system is decent. What's lacking is the lack of education hierarchy at some places and the limited spots of osteopathic residencies at NSUCOM affiliated hospitals.

exlawgrrl said:
so what's the story on that?

Nothing new. The state is in negotiations with Ardent (who currently owns TRMC). Basically, the state will either pay Ardent to keep TRMC as OSU's hospital, build a new hospital for OSU (and let Ardent do whatever they want with TRMC), or move OSU's training programs to one of the other hospitals in Tulsa. There is nothing to suggest that OSU will be left without any hospital affiliation.

DrMom said:
Nothing new. The state is in negotiations with Ardent (who currently owns TRMC). Basically, the state will either pay Ardent to keep TRMC as OSU's hospital, build a new hospital for OSU (and let Ardent do whatever they want with TRMC), or move OSU's training programs to one of the other hospitals in Tulsa. There is nothing to suggest that OSU will be left without any hospital affiliation.

Ardent wants to turn TRMC into a long-term care or psychiatric facility. OSU is trying to get clinicals at other hospitals in town, or they will be forced to purchase TRMC at an extremely high price or build a new facility.

This makes me wonder about the stability of the residency programs, since one of the plans includes relocating to already established hospitals.

This will not affect the medical student education, and may actually benefit them, but this could have a negative impact on the residency programs. Fortunately, OSU grads have excellent matches at both AOA and ACGME programs in all specialties.

OSUdoc08 said:
This will not affect the medical student education, and may actually benefit them, but this could have a negative impact on the residency programs. Fortunately, OSU grads have excellent matches at both AOA and ACGME programs in all specialties.

it could be a loss to the osteopathic community as a whole, though, because trmc has a good deal of specialty residencies, including orthopdic surgery, opthalmology and ent. i'm hoping they can reopen those residencies at another hospital even if trmc changes.

do you think ou-tulsa and osu students will wind up rotating at all the same spots? that would be very weird, but fitting maybe.

exlawgrrl said:
it could be a loss to the osteopathic community as a whole, though, because trmc has a good deal of specialty residencies, including orthopdic surgery, opthalmology and ent. i'm hoping they can reopen those residencies at another hospital even if trmc changes.

do you think ou-tulsa and osu students will wind up rotating at all the same spots? that would be very weird, but fitting maybe.

I don't think so. The OU-Tulsa students are pretty much at St. John's. OSU could be at Hillcrest and/or St. Francis.

(Hillcrest would be the best option to maintain the residency programs, but St. Francis is the best hospital in town.)