Do science grades from city colleges factor into your BCMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProteinChemist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if I take some math or something at Santa Monica City College, can I factor that into my BCMP gpa from USC?

Members don't see this ad.

So if I take some math or something at Santa Monica City College, can I factor that into my BCMP gpa from USC?

Yes. AMCAS (the standardized application service for allopathic schools) considers grades from all colleges attended.

It is not a matter of "can you." You are required to submit all post-high school transcripts to the application service when you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, why would you take BCMP classes at SMCC and not at USC? Have you graduated? Or are you trying to boost your GPA?

Be careful if the latter, especially if you are taking pre-reqs because you think you will make better grades...this can be a red flag to adcoms...

Yeah I already graduated. But I didn't take stats. I heard that's good to have when you apply for med school. Plus I wouldn't mind taking some classes just for fun. And if they boost my sGPA, why not.

Yeah I already graduated. But I didn't take stats. I heard that's good to have when you apply for med school. Plus I wouldn't mind taking some classes just for fun. And if they boost my sGPA, why not.

That sounds fine...

what about taking classes at a community college as a post-bac? I can't afford to take classes as an extension student at a UC (too expensive). I am married, have 2 kids and work fulltime. Will the adcoms frown upon this although I do well and will also get a good MCAT score (32+). My prior UC GPA was 3.1 Any advise, suggestion are appreciated

what about taking classes at a community college as a post-bac? I can't afford to take classes as an extension student at a UC (too expensive). I am married, have 2 kids and work fulltime. Will the adcoms frown upon this although I do well and will also get a good MCAT score (32+). My prior UC GPA was 3.1 Any advise, suggestion are appreciated

Probably. Especially since, with a 3.1 GPA the first time you tried the 4-year route, you have something to prove. You need to do well in the 4-year setting to prove you are capable of handling med school.