DO scramble after allo match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Racoon155

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious as to the possibility of scrambling into DO programs after the allo match is over since there is basically a month between the two matches. Anybody had any experience going this route? Hopefully it won't come to that but all this talk of increase in apps has me looking for back-up plans. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I met the student president of the osteopathic EM assoc (whatever that is) when I took my PE this year. He said that many of the DO EM residencies that have scramble spots will wait or save a few for the allo match to be done so they can pick from those students too. Makes sense - but it's all hearsay until you see it with your own eyes!

I met the student president of the osteopathic EM assoc (whatever that is) when I took my PE this year. He said that many of the DO EM residencies that have scramble spots will wait or save a few for the allo match to be done so they can pick from those students too. Makes sense - but it's all hearsay until you see it with your own eyes!

Feel free to berate me but why can DO students match in allo residencies but MD students cant match in osteo programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Feel free to berate me but why can DO students match in allo residencies but MD students cant match in osteo programs?

Actually, I was on an AOA committee that was talking about letting MD grads apply for DO residencies. I don't know if it is still being considered, but they were taking it seriously at the time. Of course, they were mostly interested in getting folks to fill all of those FM spots.

If it were to happen, I can guarantee that MDs in the DO residencies would have to take extra OMM training at some point, since that would be seen as a deficiency.

Actually, I was on an AOA committee that was talking about letting MD grads apply for DO residencies. I don't know if it is still being considered, but they were taking it seriously at the time. Of course, they were mostly interested in getting folks to fill all of those FM spots.

If it were to happen, I can guarantee that MDs in the DO residencies would have to take extra OMM training at some point, since that would be seen as a deficiency.

Just a comment about that type of thought process though; I find it funny that DO residency training (outside maybe FM) does not incorporate manipulation at most institutions but yet it is something we hide behind to not allow MD grads to enter our programs. We need to start looking at our medical degree as simply an alternative "base degree" which qualifies equally next to the MD degree for ANY residency be it allopathic or osteopathic. Otherwise it is hypocrisy.

Just a comment about that type of thought process though; I find it funny that DO residency training (outside maybe FM) does not incorporate manipulation at most institutions but yet it is something we hide behind to not allow MD grads to enter our programs. We need to start looking at our medical degree as simply an alternative "base degree" which qualifies equally next to the MD degree for ANY residency be it allopathic or osteopathic. Otherwise it is hypocrisy.

I agree. When searching for AOA approved residencies, you can select an option to inlcude programs with "formal training in OMM". If this isn't included in all AOA residencies, then the "benefit" of doing an AOA-approved residency smells alot like politics. IMHO, of course.

Well, I can tell you that in AOA Emergency Medicine residencies there are OMM requirements. I already had to do an OMM rotation as an intern & we have to document a certain # of charts in the ED where we perform OMM. These are both AOA/ABOEM requirments for our training.

All of the interns at my hospital have OMM requirements, regardless of specialty.

Just curious as to the possibility of scrambling into DO programs after the allo match is over since there is basically a month between the two matches. Anybody had any experience going this route? Hopefully it won't come to that but all this talk of increase in apps has me looking for back-up plans. :(

As a parent of a DO, 2 years ago the DO hoped for a program that didn't materialize.
The DO then scrambled for a DO position. FAXED all of the normal documentation within minutes of the open list becomming available. Received a call for an interview, and was on a plane the next day. While enroute, received calls for 4-5 other interviews. All interviews were in the same area of the country, and within 3 days interviewed at all of the places, and then accepted one of them.

In my limit observation, DO programs will attempt to fill vacanies immediately rather than waiting for left overs from the MD match.

Just my observation / trama 2 years ago

Thanks for the input folks. It makes the decision to go forward with the allo match even harder now. I think I would rather match at a top notch DO program than risk not matching the allo route and having to scramble for the "not as desirable" DO programs. It would make things much easier if the DO residencies didn't require the additional internship year plus I'm sure more of the DO programs would fill.

I think I would rather match at a top notch DO program than risk not matching the allo route and having to scramble for the "not as desirable" DO programs.

In my example above, the program / applicant thought they had every thing locked up. So the program stopped interviewing. The top applicant then decided to change to a different diciplines, and didn't tell / rank the program. SInce the program stopped interviewing, this left a scramble position open....

Hey I'm all for MD's entering DO residencies if they really chose to subject themselves to all that that means. It would probably force the quality of them to finally get better. So many of you cry unfair but really, would you really honestly apply to DO EM programs in addition to MD ones if the same rules applied to you (if you match at a DO program no matter how low you ranked it, you are matched there and automatically dropped from the allo match)? I keep seeing this subject come up on SDN and I'm actually just kinda sick of it. Unless you honestly say you want to apply - kindly stop complaining. You're debating something that doesn't apply to but a rare very small % of MD's that would actually take a postion.

Thanks for the input folks. It makes the decision to go forward with the allo match even harder now. I think I would rather match at a top notch DO program than risk not matching the allo route and having to scramble for the "not as desirable" DO programs. It would make things much easier if the DO residencies didn't require the additional internship year plus I'm sure more of the DO programs would fill.

If you have your heart set on a 3 year MD program, why not go for it? Just get those magic "8" interviews for the allopathic match and roll the dice.... statistically you should match into an EM MD program................

Q

If you have your heart set on a 3 year MD program, why not go for it? Just get those magic "8" interviews for the allopathic match and roll the dice.... statistically you should match into an EM MD program................

Q

I think what he's referring to is what if u don't get the magic 8 interviews..

I think what he's referring to is what if u don't get the magic 8 interviews..

Exactly...I'm sitting right now at a couple short of the "magic 8". I still have a handful of programs that I haven't heard from yet but I'm not holding my breath for anything positive to come from them at this point. What to do...