DO screen out with low CARS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlphaStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I got a 123 subsection score on my cars with a 506 total MCAT (128,123,126,129) and 3.73 cGPA. Will there be schools that screen me out because of the low subsection score? I'm hoping to get into TCOM, but im applying to multiple DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got all the secondaries I tried for with a 123 CARs and 503 overall. s/c GPAs 3.4

Now does a 123 CARS look bad... well

Yes some schools will screen you out. Look at websites for each school to see their requirements and then if you want, talk with admissions and see if it is worth your time to apply. With a 506 you should get some love.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a 124 CARS and got 9 IIs from DO this cycle. All of them sent me secondaries besides one school. You should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Applied 3 schools with 122 cars... got secondaries from all and one acceptance.

Reactions: 3 users
I interviewed at 3 MD schools (UTSW, UT Houston, UTMB) and 1 DO (TCOM) in Texas with a 125 CARS/124 Psych.

I think you'll be fine. It is also known to me that TCOM favors the two science sections more than the other two sections. Additionally, TCOM's numbers for the incoming class (TCOM 2023) are 508 for in-state and 511 for out-of-state, with a 505 being the lowest accepted score from out-of-state.

Idk about TCOM specifically, but as some anecdotal evidence I had a 504 w/ two sections below 125 and a slightly lower GPA than yours. I still received invites from 8/10 DO programs I applied too (I turned down about 5 interviews because I would have gone broke attending them all) as well as an interview invite to my state MD. Apply early and assuming your ECs check the boxes I would feel pretty confident about DO

I had a 124 cars and everything worked out fine

Of all the four MCAT sections, CARS gets the most slack. A 123 CARS score would be fatal for more than 95% of the MD schools, but you are good for DO.

If you are an immigrant I think Adcoms will cut you the most slack.

Just adding on, you’ll be fine. I had a lower MCAT and a 122 CARS but got multiple acceptances! Applied to 20 schools.