Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Do second chances still exist?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Princess87, Dec 23, 2008.

  1. Princess87

    7+ Year Member

    Jun 5, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I guess I'm just frustrated with the whole university system, but maybe someone will be willing to listen to my rant. I really botched the first two years in my undergrad. I had a family member pass away, was in a horrible relationship, and that on top of the transition to university was too much. I got a mosaic of grades from As all the way to an F. Anyways, since last summer I've gotten 8 As/A+s in a row, boosted my GPA up a lot, and I feel like I'm finally ready to move forward. So I emailed the Dean of my faculty to ask for permission to apply to a major program that requires candidates have no F's. Now I know with my one F (in a course that I retook recently and I got an A+ in) is a problem, but I feel like I've shown my ability. Anyways, lo and behold my request was shut down. This, on top of a biology prof who refuses to email me back (after 3 emails and numerous voicemails) about a incorrect calculation of my grade is really getting me down about whether or not anyone at university really has a heart. Oh well.. :(
  2. ksmi117

    ksmi117 GEAUX TIGERS!!!
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Verified Account 7+ Year Member

    Mar 15, 2008
    Likes Received:
    Resident [Any Field]
    I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, but really don't let it get you down. There's not much advice I can offer about the major program besides picking another and moving forward.
    As for the professor, if you still cannot get in touch with him, it may be helpful to go a step up above him. However, don't make it seem like you are tattling. He could be out of town or something. Talking to someone else in the department will at least give you some information.
    After a few years, this will all be behind you, so don't worry too much.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. njbmd

    njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

    May 30, 2001
    Likes Received:
    Attending Physician

    First of all, if you don't qualify for a particular major, then choose something else. There is no one particular major that works for entry into medical school. Find something close and move on.

    Second, document (with copies of the e-mails) your attempts to contact your professor and contact the chairman of the department. You can even send a courtesy copy of your letter to the Dean of the Division. In any case, if you can't get in touch with the person who handled the original grade, then you need to move one step above. Just have all your information in one spot and ask what you need to do to get this situation corrected ASAP.

    Third, keep getting good grades and do the best that you can. No, you cannot go back and undo what is done but you can move past what is done and you can affect the future. Get the highest grades that you can and be ruthless about making sure that your studies are you top priority.

    Your grades are either going to be high enough to get you competitive for medical school application or you have the option of entering an Special Masters Program (SMP), doing extremely well - even better if you get into one with linkage- and heading into medical school. Yes, you have a long road ahead but you have some options that are not easy but if things were easy, everyone would be doing this.
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page