Do senior grades matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaraMac13

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm asking for a bit of advice. I am only taking four classes this semester, one is a little Pass/Not Pass class plus two science classes for my major and a Spanish class I am taking to improve my Spanish. Well....the Spanish class is not going well (I am going to have to work to get a B), and I have the option of taking it Pass/Not Pass if i want to which means that I would just recieve a P and it would not go into my GPA. Now, if I do this it means that I will only have two grades for this semester for both my science classes. I am currently applying to schools right now, I've already finished my secondaries. Do you think AdComms will care if I have alot of Pass/Not pass units this semester (in my only non-science class). Do you think it would be worth it to avoid a C (or even a B)? I have a good GPA and I just don't want to screw it up. If anyone could give me some advice I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Senior grades do matter. However schools shouldn't care about pass/fail classes verses graded classes. you still have to pass them so it shouldn't matter.

I emailed all my new grades after my fall semester and after my spring semester. these grades were added to my files at the schools where my application was still active.

Schools WILL review your final transcript even though they have accepted you. My acceptance letters said I had to do equal to what I had done in previous semsters or I could lose my acceptance.

So in other words don't tune out your senior year because you think it won't matter. Plus if you don't get in this year, obviously your senior grades and progress will factor in.

They do matter....especially since schools will ask for a midyear update, both at schools you've been accepted to and those that are still considering your file. if you get waitlisted, that will matter, too. My advisor told me that even now I shouldn't take things P/F since my file will be updated places and it doesn't look good on your file. Just my $.02!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok....one thinks that P/NP is OK, one says that I shouldn't. Does anyone else have any advice? Thanks!

haha - here's to hoping they don't matter much;) i'm in school 7 out of 13 weeks this semester

Originally posted by jot
haha - here's to hoping they don't matter much;) i'm in school 7 out of 13 weeks this semester

dude, seriously. These schools are like "you need to do well this year too" yet only ONE i know of interviews on the weekend(UPenn, bless their hearts) and some are so inflexible with their "your interview will be on a wednesday during your exam week" scheduling :rolleyes:

I'm taking a complete blow-off semester, but I only need 9 hours to graduate. If I drop orgo 2, my classes will include one bio course, Chem Lab Safety, Stats 100 and Companion Animal Management (taking that one p/f). My advisor said not to worry, because I'm a senior and you should be able to take fun stuff once in a while!:cool:

I think the pass/fail things a toss up. (Hardly news - see threads on thank-you notes, handwriting/typing secondaries, what to wear to interviews, etc.) Just make sure that you do get good grades in the other classes. Good luck! :)

Those threats or whatever you call them from the med schools are hollow as F@#$

If they admit you, they think you can do the work, PERIOD. Don't be scared by their lingo and tactics. Do what is fun, and just chill. But if you are a real pre-medder, I'm sure you'll be all nervous and actually think they'll take away an acceptance. Haha. Just keep sound, and don't get under a 3.3, and you'll be fine.

Gumshoe

Originally posted by DW
dude, seriously. These schools are like "you need to do well this year too" yet only ONE i know of interviews on the weekend(UPenn, bless their hearts) and some are so inflexible with their "your interview will be on a wednesday during your exam week" scheduling :rolleyes:

true, but nobody said you must apply to 25 schools.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
true, but nobody said you must apply to 25 schools.

Not true, I said so! and Dra. Foxy did too!! :p