Do senior year grades affect admissions chances for traditional applicants?

Nov 16, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi guys, I'm a current senior in undergrad applying to MD schools for the 2020-2021 cycle. Because of COVID, my undergraduate institution allowed us the option to take classes P/F for the Spring 2020 semester. Because our classes stayed online for Fall 2020 and will be mostly online for Spring 2021, we are able to change grades to P/F for those semesters too. I got a B- in Physics II with Lab this semester, and I'm not sure whether to leave it as is or change it to P/F. The grade isn't atrocious, but it is the lowest grade on my transcript and it brought my GPA down a good bit. Changing it to P/F would mean that it doesn't have any affect on my GPA.
Can this grade affect admissions decisions at all if it is from a class that was taken after my application was submitted? Are there any other reasons why I should or should not change this grade to P/F? Thanks!

Last edited:

EdgeTrimmer

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2018
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
One B- shouldn't bring down your 3.5 year GPA that much. You shouldn't cherry pick P/Fs for any semester.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
7+ Year Member
Oct 13, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Academic Administration
Hi guys, I'm a current senior in undergrad applying to MD schools for the 2020-2021 cycle. Because of COVID, my undergraduate institution allowed us the option to take classes P/F for the Spring 2020 semester. Because our classes stayed online for Fall 2020 and will be mostly online for Spring 2021, we are able to change grades to P/F for those semesters too. I got a B- in Physics II with Lab this semester, and I'm not sure whether to leave it as is or change it to P/F. The grade isn't atrocious, but it is the lowest grade on my transcript and it brought my GPA down a good bit. Changing it to P/F would mean that it doesn't have any affect on my GPA.
Can this grade affect admissions decisions at all if it is from a class that was taken after my application was submitted? Are there any other reasons why I should or should not change this grade to P/F? Thanks!
Every health professions program will treat P/F grades differently when it comes to reviewing your application, but I maintain that retaining a traditional grade for relevant prerequisites and upper-level biomedical science coursework will be preferred.

Reactions: 2 users

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads