Do senior year grades affect admissions chances for traditional applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gasstationsushi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a current senior in undergrad applying to MD schools for the 2020-2021 cycle. Because of COVID, my undergraduate institution allowed us the option to take classes P/F for the Spring 2020 semester. Because our classes stayed online for Fall 2020 and will be mostly online for Spring 2021, we are able to change grades to P/F for those semesters too. I got a B- in Physics II with Lab this semester, and I'm not sure whether to leave it as is or change it to P/F. The grade isn't atrocious, but it is the lowest grade on my transcript and it brought my GPA down a good bit. Changing it to P/F would mean that it doesn't have any affect on my GPA.
Can this grade affect admissions decisions at all if it is from a class that was taken after my application was submitted? Are there any other reasons why I should or should not change this grade to P/F? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
One B- shouldn't bring down your 3.5 year GPA that much. You shouldn't cherry pick P/Fs for any semester.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi guys, I'm a current senior in undergrad applying to MD schools for the 2020-2021 cycle. Because of COVID, my undergraduate institution allowed us the option to take classes P/F for the Spring 2020 semester. Because our classes stayed online for Fall 2020 and will be mostly online for Spring 2021, we are able to change grades to P/F for those semesters too. I got a B- in Physics II with Lab this semester, and I'm not sure whether to leave it as is or change it to P/F. The grade isn't atrocious, but it is the lowest grade on my transcript and it brought my GPA down a good bit. Changing it to P/F would mean that it doesn't have any affect on my GPA.
Can this grade affect admissions decisions at all if it is from a class that was taken after my application was submitted? Are there any other reasons why I should or should not change this grade to P/F? Thanks!
Every health professions program will treat P/F grades differently when it comes to reviewing your application, but I maintain that retaining a traditional grade for relevant prerequisites and upper-level biomedical science coursework will be preferred.

Reactions: 2 users