Do senior year last sem. grades matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sk1684

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i was wondering if i could take it easy this sem. Will i be okay if i get mostly Bs? In other words do schools revoke acceptances if you don't do as well this last sem.? Current med students' feedback would be great here.

Members don't see this ad.

hmm im wondering the same thing. im too lazy to study this semester.
most medschools say something to the effect that there should not be a "significant decline in academic performance" in the last semester...

B's are fine, feel free to take easy classes.

DON'T fail or get lower than a B- though or medical schools can and WILL drop you from an entering class.

Members don't see this ad :)
sk1684 said:
i was wondering if i could take it easy this sem. Will i be okay if i get mostly Bs? In other words do schools revoke acceptances if you don't do as well this last sem.? Current med students' feedback would be great here.

My impression is that you have to do pretty bad to get your acceptance revoked. I doubt making mostly B's would do that. Besides it probably won't even hurt your overall GPA that much b/c by that point you have so many hours that its hard to change it much. Its probably a good idea to at least take it a little easy because you don't get a lot of time once you matriculate.

Congrats on getting accepted!

Just make sure you don't fail any of your classes. By this time, you are a successful undergrad student who knows how to study. So just chill,
I bet you don't have to work too hard to get a B.

Take the chill pill and quit worrying about anything.
Just do it!
Have fun!

From my understanding all you need to do is pass your classes, so chill dude.

AStudent said:
B's are fine, feel free to take easy classes.

DON'T fail or get lower than a B- though or medical schools can and WILL drop you from an entering class.

That's not true. Just get 2.0 or above that quarter and you shall be fine.

xadmin said:
That's not true. Just get 2.0 or above that quarter and you shall be fine.

Yep, just pass. they aren't going to go drop your acceptance unles you fail. Have a fun semester.

I *think* it depends on the school. Tulane said in their acceptance letter that you need to graduate with a GPA comparible with the GPA listed in you AMCAS. OTOH, Case specifically says that the only condition attached with the acceptance is that you satisfactorily complete the requirements for graduation. I'm taking "satisfactorily" as meaning "C" or better.

The two acceptances I received both indicated (in different terminology) the offer could be revoked for:

a. grades below "C"

b. deficiencies of a personal or ethical manner

So you probably need to at least make "C's" and don't get caught w/ the bong/crack pipe/10 yr old/etc.

Good luck!

so i just got all of my grades for this semester (my last of ugrad). I got all As and A-s and one C. i am still on the Dean's list for this sem. and my overall GPA hasn't dropped drastically. So i was wondering if med schools would still object to the C??? will they revoke my acceptance?? please i need some reassurance. i could technically improve my grade by redoing the final paper for the course...but i have too much going on to give it more time...

Probably not.

sk1684 said:
so i just got all of my grades for this semester (my last of ugrad). I got all As and A-s and one C. i am still on the Dean's list for this sem. and my overall GPA hasn't dropped drastically. So i was wondering if med schools would still object to the C??? will they revoke my acceptance?? please i need some reassurance. i could technically improve my grade by redoing the final paper for the course...but i have too much going on to give it more time...

Mr. Seeds said:
I *think* it depends on the school. Tulane said in their acceptance letter that you need to graduate with a GPA comparible with the GPA listed in you AMCAS.

mine did not say this,

It said - "your appoinment is contingent upon successful completion of the acad. prog. your in and maintenance of the level of acad. performance that was part of the basis of your acceptance"

Also i've heard Dr. Beckman say as long as you dont have C's you'll be fine.

I've always been under the impression that once you are accepted all you need to do is pass. for a graduate progream passing means B or higher, but for an undergrad passing means C or higher.

sk1684 said:

They don't use your GPA against you in the final semester, so don't worry about it. You can make all C's and it won't matter.

Obviously a D or an F is unacceptable, however.

have fun man, i screwed up my sophmore year so I had to work hard during my last semester, didn't get a chance to fully enjoy it.

LSUwannabe said:
So you probably need to at least make "C's" and don't get caught w/ the bong/crack pipe/10 yr old/etc.

Always good advice. :laugh:

I know a bunch of people at my med school never even handed in their final transcript. The admissions office asked them for it once during orientation and then never said anything to them again. They all graduated, but the school never appeared to worry about it once classes started. So you are probably safe with an acceptance letter in one hand and passing grades on your transcripts.

Wake said I could get away with 1 C....and I am just planning on doing that...

hmm...who did you talk to? I just called Wake today asking them if they looked down upon Cs. and they said that Cs don't matter. As long as i get my bachelor's degrees i should be fine. It sounds like they gave you a stricter reponse than they gave me. I too have one C and am wondering if i should work harder to improve it.
DrThom said:
Wake said I could get away with 1 C....and I am just planning on doing that...

sk1684 said:
hmm...who did you talk to? I just called Wake today asking them if they looked down upon Cs. and they said that Cs don't matter. As long as i get my bachelor's degrees i should be fine. It sounds like they gave you a stricter reponse than they gave me. I too have one C and am wondering if i should work harder to improve it.

I talked to the lady that answers the phones. I think she is getting sick of me calling (This is the third day in a row). I asked exactly what they meant by "your acceptance is contingent on continued satisfactory academic performance"

She went to say something about how Cs in non-science/non-major classes are okay but Cs in science/major classes could be a problem. My C is in a blow off elective so I am not too worried.

I, too, have heard conflicting information so what she told me could be wrong. I dunno...

You definately going to Wake in the fall?

one letter of mine said a significant drop of one letter grade from my current gpa.

uva actually wrote out a similar thing with the conditions that any c required a letter of explanation and anything lower than a c would lead to reconsideration of my application. if your grades aren't finalized yet, avoid a c or lower at all costs. you've done too much to mess things up now.