Do several majors help?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by closertofine, Nov 24, 2002.

1. closertofine

closertofine Emerging from hibernation
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm wondering if my 3 majors give me any advantage in the application process. It really just happened that way, I didn't plan to try to appear like a nerd. I do have a 4.0 now...at a state school...but I'm hoping this might help me stand out a little. My EC's aren't anything amazing (and haven't taken the MCAT yet).

What do you think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. if u like them, take them. some people might just think u are not sure of what u want to major in, and u probably have to explain to ur interviewer why u took them, just keep a great gpa thats all.

i dont think it helps, i really cant say if it hurts. good luck!

4. Gleevec

Gleevec Peter, those are Cheerios
    7+ Year Member

Probably wont give you much of an advantage, but definitely can't hurt!

There was an article in the NY Times about how tons of state school people are triple and even quadruple majoring. So it will definitely make you look well rounded (if the majors are from different areas) and it could be a boon. Really depends on MCAT though (at least statistically), you can prolly just wow them at interviews with other stuff.

5. rae-chill

rae-chill Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah sure, why not... i mean, since you're already at 3 why not add on a couple more for kicks - i'd say 5 is a solid number :cool:

6. jot

jot

as an aside - i just found out an amusing stuate in ny state -- it is illegal to take more than 20 courses for credit from one department. wierd ....

7. canadagirl

canadagirl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Ilegal? I'm guessing that they don't give you credit for it ... but that they also don't throw you in jail... :D :D :D