DO shadowing in North Dallas,TX

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SaharaGirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am looking to shadow a DO in north Dallas, and would really appreciate any suggestions and recommendations. I have called few from the directory, but no response yet. I am also trying the Mentor website.

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You could see if a family member or close friend knows a DO. I just recently discovered one of my cousin's cousins is a DO. Or maybe your family physician could refer you to one. There's lots of ways to go about it. You just gotta make sure to ask many and be persistent on following through.

I assume you're interested in going to TCOM?

I would love to go to TCOM, but I am taking MCATs for the first time in September, and won't be able to make Texas October 1st deadline. May be if I take it on Sept 1st I can make the deadline.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would love to go to TCOM, but I am taking MCATs for the first time in September, and won't be able to make Texas October 1st deadline. May be if I take it on Sept 1st I can make the deadline.

10/1 is the application submission deadline. You should email them about the latest MCAT exam date accepted before writing them off and waiting a year.

yay!!!! cold calling worked. I got the list of DOs in my area from http://www.osteopathic.org/ and started calling them. after about 10 calls, I got a direct number to a Anesthesiologist, and she is letting me shadow her from next week. I also have a MD to shadow too.

How many hours looks good on the application?

i think it would be better to shadow a family medicine physician. even better, someone who practices OMM in their practice.

just call tCOM or texas osteopathic society to hook you up. anesthesia is cool, but you wont get the sense of what makes a DO different than MD. Plus, you will have good stories to impress the interviewers. :hardy:

yay!!!! cold calling worked. I got the list of DOs in my area from http://www.osteopathic.org/ and started calling them. after about 10 calls, I got a direct number to a Anesthesiologist, and she is letting me shadow her from next week. I also have a MD to shadow too.

How many hours looks good on the application?

Congrats! That's a great felling!

I've seen one school that wanted "a LOR from a physician whom you've shadowed for 20+ hours." That's the only one I've seen like that. It was a DO school, but I don't remember which one. I'd say this is a good amount to be able to say something personal in the letter. However, as far as "looking good," I'd say to shadow as much as you can/want if you're benefitting from it. That being said, ask what the doc's expectations are, because you certainly don't want to overstay your welcome and become a nuisance.

You should also provide them with a resumé/brag sheet and include details for them to draw from for the LOR. Do this when you ask for a letter and provide the envelope/confidentiality waiver. This was advice from the psychology dean at my UG and every letter writer has been very happy I provided this. Good luck!

i think it would be better to shadow a family medicine physician. even better, someone who practices OMM in their practice.

just call tCOM or texas osteopathic society to hook you up. anesthesia is cool, but you wont get the sense of what makes a DO different than MD. Plus, you will have good stories to impress the interviewers. :hardy:

Finding an OMM doc would be nice. However, that's easier said than done, sometimes. Also, you can attempt to do this while you're shadowing the gas man/woman. A bird in the hand... A LOR from an anesthesiologist will do just fine in most cases. I know ATSU-SOMA says that a primary care letter is preferred. Incidentally I just noticed that they are the ones with the "20+ hours" statement. Many DOs will be indistinguishable from MDs and adcoms know this. They want to make sure you are committed and willing to go the extra mile and find a DO to get to know.

BTW you could have some very impressive stories in anesthesiology. They all start with "we waited until he was asleep, then we..."