DO Shadowing Opportunity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DObeliever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to work with my PCP, who is an MD. I told him that I wanted to go to Med School and he is very supportive and said that he would help in any way he could. He would allow me to come in and shadow him in his practice and see what they do. He wants to also give me some advice and tips on the application and interviewing process as he used to be on the application review board and conducted interviews. My only concern is that if I do this, would it be looked down on by a DO Med School because I shadowed with an MD? Should I take this opportunity?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow whomever you can. We all have different styles of how offices are run and approaches to patients. The more exposure you get, the better. No one is going to look down on you for taking the opportunity. We all work together to take care of patients. It doesn't really matter what the letters are behind your name. If you plan to go to DO school, you should shadow a DO as well, most schools require a DO letter. There isn't much difference in what we do except for manipulation and not all DO's do that anyway.