Do some BPCM classes carry more weight than others?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baydatgear

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, BPCM is composed of biology, physics, chemistry, and math.

As an engineer, I'm very biased towards the P and M parts, physics and math. However, I have enough of those that it counter balances some less than par performance in chem and physics. My overall sGPA is healthy however. It's just ironic that my source of non A's came from bio and chem, which are subjects emphasized in medical school. Do you think adcoms and interviewers think like that?

You know, like, while they're looking at your app they're hypothetically nonchalantly thinking, "Well, your sGPA is good, and that's cute than you can solve a differential equation or prove the divergence theorem with respect to outward flux....but we don't really use that in medical school and the fact that you kind of slipped up learning about bacteria and lewis structures, which are things we care more about in medical school, worries us heavily"..

Does that logic play with medical school adcoms or is there no discrimination in BPCM content?

Members don't see this ad.

So, BPCM is composed of biology, physics, chemistry, and math.

As an engineer, I'm very biased towards the P and M parts, physics and math. However, I have enough of those that it counter balances some less than par performance in chem and physics. My overall sGPA is healthy however. It's just ironic that my source of non A's came from bio and chem, which are subjects emphasized in medical school. Do you think adcoms and interviewers think like that?

You know, like, while they're looking at your app they're hypothetically nonchalantly thinking, "Well, your sGPA is good, and that's cute than you can solve a differential equation or prove the divergence theorem with respect to outward flux....but we don't really use that in medical school and the fact that you kind of slipped up learning about bacteria and lewis structures, which are things we care more about in medical school, worries us heavily"..

Does that logic play with medical school adcoms or is there no discrimination in BPCM content?
If you didn't get the best grades in the pre-reqs I would think the best way to counter that is to do well on the MCAT. If you can do that and maintain a strong cum and Bpcm gpa you should be fine (assuming everything else on your app is good)

Well I did well on math and physics prereqs, and did well on the ochem prereqs. It's just that my only source of less than steller prereqs were bio and gen chem prereqs due to difficult transition in college.

But moreover, is there a bias towards bio and chem BPCM's as opposed to math and physics BPCM classes due to the curriculum in medical schools being more centered around bio and chem?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I did well on math and physics prereqs, and did well on the ochem prereqs. It's just that my only source of less than steller prereqs were bio and gen chem prereqs due to difficult transition in college.

But moreover, is there a bias towards bio and chem BPCM's as opposed to math and physics BPCM classes due to the curriculum in medical schools being more centered around bio and chem?
I'm going to differ to some of the more senior members on here for this but I will say this, if we are talking about a couple of B-'s or C's I doubt it will be that big of a deal if your grades are indeed stellar in your other courses. The way I see it is, you have demonstrate mastery of the material or that you can handle the course one way or another. So again, if you didn't get the "A" in bio but did great on the bio portion of the MCAT I'd say you're fine. I do not believe the bio and chem pre reqs are weighed heavier than the other pre reqs.

Ah. Do you know how much glancing do admissions faculty do on your transcript with respect to other classes, and what do they do about assessing courses they have no idea about the jargon for because it might not be a traditional premed major?

Also, I know there might not be a bias for bio and chem prereqs as opposed to other prereqs, but is there a bias towards non-prereqs in general and pre-reqs in general?

Sorry if I come off as a nuisance.

Ah. Do you know how much glancing do admissions faculty do on your transcript with respect to other classes, and what do they do about assessing courses they have no idea about the jargon for because it might not be a traditional premed major?

Also, I know there might not be a bias for bio and chem prereqs as opposed to other prereqs, but is there a bias towards non-prereqs in general and pre-reqs in general?

Sorry if I come off as a nuisance.
Like what? There really isn't a traditional premed major because you can major in anything to go to med school. Just make sure you get those pre reqs done. You don't come off as a nuisance, at least to me anyway. This is the place to ask questions when you have them. Just remember to do a search before you post.

Med schools look at all your grades, cumulative and your BPCM. The best thing you can do is do your best in all of them. If you are really concern about not doing so hot in a lower division bio course due to a rough transition to school it probably couldn't hurt take an upper division bio course and ace it (only if you think you can and also if you can afford to do so). However, its not necessary...

biomechanical engineering, design of prosthetics and medical hardware.

I tanked bio I and II, micro and gen chem I, but did well in gen chem II, genetics, cell bio, Ochem I, Ochem II, Physics I and II, all my Cals, differential, linear.

Genetics is closely related to bio, but it's not a prereq. I think doing well in genetics kinda compensates for bio not in the sense of GPA, but in the sense of doubt. I also have other classes in my major that are some bio, but aren't prereqs.

This is a tough nut to solve. If by "tanked", you mean you got Cs, that's not a good sign. If they were Bs compared to As in the CPM coursework, then it's not a problem. Concur that a strong MCAT Bio score would help alleviate any worries.

Hope that helps

biomechanical engineering, design of prosthetics and medical hardware.

I tanked bio I and II, micro and gen chem I, but did well in gen chem II, genetics, cell bio, Ochem I, Ochem II, Physics I and II, all my Cals, differential, linear.

Genetics is closely related to bio, but it's not a prereq. I think doing well in genetics kinda compensates for bio not in the sense of GPA, but in the sense of doubt. I also have other classes in my major that are some bio, but aren't prereqs.

Reactions: 1 user
Makes sense, quarters/semesters are coming to an end and it's natural for people to feel some anxiety over grades. That's how the pre-med track is for most.