Do some dental schools not offer interviews for students with too high stats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manifesto

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If so, which schools are known for this?

Members don't see this ad.

tufts syndrome aka yield protection...probably most used by colleges posing as ivy league by keeping their acceptance rate to a minimum to appear more selective than they really are cuz everyone wants to feel like a special snowflake.

Reactions: 3 users
haha thanks. also im curious about usc and colorado too if anyone knows.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Woah, I did not know this was a thing until now. Universities will purposefully not take students with high stats?

Woah, I did not know this was a thing until now. Universities will purposefully not take students with high stats?
Because they don't want to waste their time and resources on an applicant with a 3.9 GPA and 26AA who will probably attend their cheaper state school or a more "prestigious" school.

This is most definitely a thing. Schools are obviously only interested in getting students to attend their school. If you have very high stats, it is very unlikely you will attend the least competitive school.

I've been following acceptance/rejection thread and it seemed like some people with high stats got a lot of interviews while some people surprisingly didn't get too many, or not as many as they should have. I don't know if there is a pattern of people with good stats not getting an interview, but it could be that the schools look at other aspects of the applicants as well as the grades. So we will never know unless we get into the adcom's head

I should have had more fun partying when I was an undergrad and just cruise with like a 3.5 GPA and just try to hit 20AA and 16QR with no stress.

Reactions: 2 users
I should have had more fun partying when I was an undergrad and just cruise with like a 3.5 GPA and just try to hit 20AA and 16QR with no stress.

:rolleyes:

Some students with super high stats might get a few less interviews, but they are getting a very high % of acceptances at those schools. Who cars about about having 10 interviews, it's just a pissing contest at that point.

Reactions: 2 users
:rolleyes:

Some students with super high stats might get a few less interviews, but they are getting a very high % of acceptances at those schools. Who cars about about having 10 interviews, it's just a pissing contest at that point.

I don't know about you but when it comes down to a pissing contest I want to make sure my jet goes the furthest and lasts the longest.

Last edited:
It is less about high stats being the limiting factor and more about being a poor match; it is not what some schools are looking for. This is a subject that comes up pretty much on a yearly basis with the usual failure of understanding why 20 out of 20 schools did not extend an interview invitation.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/rejections-the-why.875430/

Last edited:
If true than this is bull crap. If I get accepted to Harvard and Colorado, I'm going to choose Colorado. I'd rather go to school in an area where I would enjoy living at to make connections and come out with a practice there. In the end, a dental school is a dental school and we will be dentists, no matter what school.

So... it's a thing? I've been waiting on 3 of the schools (out of 6) for interview invitations since I already got the other 3.... (could this be the reason why?) Sucks that we don't find out until December or later.... The wait is torture even with decent stats... I don't mean to be pretentious so my apologies if my comment seems that way.

The belief can certainly be a good soporific agent; the perfect prescription for a good night sleep.