Do some schools not send out rejection letters at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NonTradMed

Perpetual Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I remembered back in college when I had friends applying to med school, that some never heard back from their med schools, even after they interviewed there....so they kept on hoping and hoping that a school will accept them all the way through June. That seems a bit rude to me, to not even send out a rejection letter. However, I wonder how prevelant this is. One of my friend, with whom I observed this phenomenon closely applied to all California schools plus some top tiered med schools, all of which were inundated with applications. So I wonder if this is common with schools that get an especially high number of qualified applicants.

I'm an August MCATer, and I only got my application in and completed near the end of October, but thus far, out of the 20+ secondaries I filled out, I received 4 pre-interview rejections! :eek:

I can only hope that this means the rest of the my schools still believe I'm 'in the running', however I am starting to believe that these are the schools I've gotten rejected from are the ones considerate enough to send me a letter....I'm thinking four rejections within a month of completion of my application to mean I'm getting rejected from other schools too but that they haven't told me. Do med schools ignore people like that? Also, should I be scared of my unusually high number of rejections within the last month (my application has been completed for only a little over a month!)? :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in the same exact situation as you and I got one hold and one rejection. It sucks but what can you do. You do your best to move on. If the school doesnt say anything assume positive until otherwise notified.If it gets to spring without anything-which 99.99% of the time wont happen, then you can assume the opposite. It saves so much time and aggravation this way.I wish I could say something more encouraging but dont give up yes there are 4 down but you still have 16 left! cheer up! :)

jiy76 said:
I'm in the same exact situation as you and I got one hold and one rejection. It sucks but what can you do. You do your best to move on. If the school doesnt say anything assume positive until otherwise notified.If it gets to spring without anything-which 99.99% of the time wont happen, then you can assume the opposite. It saves so much time and aggravation this way.I wish I could say something more encouraging but dont give up yes there are 4 down but you still have 16 left! cheer up! :)

Thanks for the pep talk. It's just so annoying that they leave you hanging like that, makes me wonder how many are actually seriously considering you and how many are just stringing you along.

Someone pointed out my latest rejection (from my state school, no less) might be because I changed my mailing address to an out of state mailing address....I wonder if the same people who lost my files twice were actually shrewd enough to figure out I (temporarily) moved out of state, hm, might make me feel less dumb if that was the real reason. :)

Same situation here. August MCAT. Complete by mid/end of October. So far, 1 interview, 2 rejections (got ont today! :mad: ) and 2 holds. About 10 other schools left... :)

Here is how I think about it:
- rejected: oh well... At least they didn't make me wait for nothing. And, I have a lot of other schools left.
- holds: slight chance of getting interviewed and being accepted in the Spring. I know ppl who were on hold and who eventually got interviews and got in. There is hope!
- nothing: if it's less than 3 months after my file was complete, I'm still in the game. After that, I'll consider myself rejected. They will either send me a letter over the summer, or they will never send me a letter!

Just my two cents... :luck: