Do "stay at home" remote verification pharmacist jobs still exist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RecoveryRX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Speaking as one of many disgruntled inhabitants of Pharmacyville, I was looking outside the box for possible career options. Even if assuming a pay cut, what companies, if any, still offer remote verification jobs? What is the daily quota? Carry a phone/pager at home? Do they Skype you at home to monitor activity?

Members don't see this ad.

Speaking as one of many disgruntled inhabitants of Pharmacyville, I was looking outside the box for possible career options. Even if assuming a pay cut, what companies, if any, still offer remote verification jobs? What is the daily quota? Carry a phone/pager at home? Do they Skype you at home to monitor activity?

Express scripts does it. They provide the computer and the Internet connection. You have to verify about 65 scripts per hour. How many hours and which hours I don't know......

Reactions: 2 users
Humana does as well. Same rough quota, 8 hours and the shifts are mostly banker's hours except you do weekend coverage every 4th. 98% accuracy or fire. Mail order is where pharmacy careers go to die, but it pays well for the time-being. Yes, you have a camera on you that they will activate with little notice (not no notice). There's jobs though in QA and other areas if you can hack it in Production.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
65 scripts/hr x 8 hrs = 520 scripts a day with minimum 98% accuracy or higher.

Yeah I work at home for Walgreens. They are only hiring in the Orlando facility right now, and haven't sent anyone home for ages.

Don't think I can say what the quota is, but Express Scripts would be a walk in the park for us, so if you don't think you can handle that, then don't even bother applying for Walgreens. And accuracy: if you think 520 scripts/day with 98% accuracy = 10 mistakes per day is ok? Better add some decimal places to that.

No phone. No patient or doctor contact. The stores handle that.

We have schedules working the same days every week, with shifts staggered throughout the day. e.g. I work Tue-Fri 10-8:30. This is great for picking up a 2nd job. They do send out text messages for OT, which you are under no obligation to do, but it's handy if you're at home with some free time and want to pick up some extra cash.

No Skype or video monitoring for us. But the computer records how much time you spend on every prescription, so if you're goofing off it'll show in the numbers.

Reactions: 4 users
How do you guys handle EMAR mistakes? I encounter at least 20 a day for e-scripts, mostly trivial ones. Seems like there would be a disconnect between working remotely and understanding conditions on the ground (crappy prescribers who can't get their medical assistants or nurses do anything right)

98% accurate?! Not to sound rude but who here would accept it if they misverified 2% of the prescriptions they checked?! I am devastated when I make one mistake out of hundreds checked, not 2 out of every hundred!

Unless something else is going on here, like day supply being wrong or something like that...then maybe 2% would be more reasonable.

98% accurate?! Not to sound rude but who here would accept it if they misverified 2% of the prescriptions they checked?! I am devastated when I make one mistake out of hundreds checked, not 2 out of every hundred!

Unless something else is going on here, like day supply being wrong or something like that...then maybe 2% would be more reasonable.

You'd be surprised at your actual error rate if someone double-checked every one of your prescriptions. That 2% seems outrageously high, but you get dinged the same for wrong Dr's office as with wrong drug. I agree, for clinically relevant issues, that percentage is and should be less than 5 per 10,000, but the way that mail order counts errors, they mean those as well.

I do the run charts on pharmacists from their QA departments as an consulting gig, and it's roughly 0.5-1.5% for the vast majority of pharmacists on exact accuracy.

You'd be surprised at your actual error rate if someone double-checked every one of your prescriptions. That 2% seems outrageously high, but you get dinged the same for wrong Dr's office as with wrong drug. I agree, for clinically relevant issues, that percentage is and should be less than 5 per 10,000, but the way that mail order counts errors, they mean those as well.

I do the run charts on pharmacists from their QA departments as an consulting gig, and it's roughly 0.5-1.5% for the vast majority of pharmacists on exact accuracy.
My error rate would be zero, and I hope to keep it that way. I would be devastated if I were to make an error that would harm somebody. Absolutely devastated. I didn't even make errors with wrong Doctor's office. Those errors get caught when people fax or call for more refills and the doctor doesn't even know who the patient is.

Actually at my job every one of my prescriptions are double checked by another pharmacist. It's company policy for first fills for every order to be checked by two pharmacist.

I figured that 2% had to consider everything which makes it a little more reasonable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile

Yeah I work at home for Walgreens. They are only hiring in the Orlando facility right now, and haven't sent anyone home for ages.

Don't think I can say what the quota is, but Express Scripts would be a walk in the park for us, so if you don't think you can handle that, then don't even bother applying for Walgreens. And accuracy: if you think 520 scripts/day with 98% accuracy = 10 mistakes per day is ok? Better add some decimal places to that.

We have schedules working the same days every week, with shifts staggered throughout the day. e.g. I work Tue-Fri 10-8:30. This is great for picking up a 2nd job. They do send out text messages for OT, which you are under no obligation to do, but it's handy if you're at home with some free time and want to pick up some extra cash.

No Skype or video monitoring for us. But the computer records how much time you spend on every prescription, so if you're goofing off it'll show in the numbers.
As you know, the WAG remote verification process is 3 steps: PPR (pt and prescriber), Data (drug, sig, refills, etc), and clinical (DUR). All these steps are broken down and that's why the CPO (including work from home) can do a tremendous amount of rxs. I'm not sure the mail order places break it up like WAG. The work from home pays considerably less than at a retail store, so that's something to consider.

Reactions: 1 user
As you know, the WAG remote verification process is 3 steps: PPR (pt and prescriber), Data (drug, sig, refills, etc), and clinical (DUR). All these steps are broken down and that's why the CPO (including work from home) can do a tremendous amount of rxs. I'm not sure the mail order places break it up like WAG. The work from home pays considerably less than at a retail store, so that's something to consider.
We do PPR and Data together now, but DUR is still separate. Ballpark is easily over 1000 Rx per day. Actually I think the reason we can do so many is because we do not handle issues and exceptions. Those get returned to the store to handle.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was pleasantly surprised when I recently found out that they are still out there. I interviewed a week ago over the phone with Alorica for one of 10-15 virtual verification pharmacist positions with an AZ license...and just found out I received an offer!! It is permanent and full time with benefits. I was told that the quota after the initial learning curve (about 2 months) is 45-50 an hour. I do not know about the accuracy rate. The pay is competitive in my area at $55.57 per hour. The hours are my favorite shift, which is 9:30-6 M-F. You supply the internet connection and the company sends you a computer (no phone needed). I had foot and ankle surgery that left me unable to stand due to severe tarsal tunnel syndrome and RSD so my job options are limited. I have been stuck in contract positions for the past few years after leaving retail, so I am extremely excited to finally obtain a full time job with benefits again.
If you are looking for a work from home position, definitely look into this company. I am sure they are hiring for other positions since it is the busy enrollment season. I know for a fact that they are looking for a virtual PIC position with an AZ license right now.
Does anyone have any tips for a virtual position? Does anyone have any feedback on working for Alorica?

is it possible to work from outside the US as remote pharmacist, looking at buying a condo in Mexico...

is it possible to work from outside the US as remote pharmacist, looking at buying a condo in Mexico...
I am not sure about other companies, but as far as I could tell from Alorica I believe you can work from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection. The position I was just offered requires an AZ license, but you can work anywhere as long as you work the hours that line up with the AZ time zone schedule. The company is global and has centers in many countries, including Mexico. You would have to ask a recruiter for more information. This is what the website states:
Global Locations

At Alorica, we’re all about people helping people—no matter where they are. Whether you’re looking for nearshore, offshore, in-country or Work-at-Home solutions, our global footprint allows us to scale operations to fit your unique needs across time zones and markets.

Alorica manages one of the largest, most experienced talent pools in the world. We operate an expansive global network of contact centers, with capabilities in 17 countries, at over 150 locations, staffed by more than 100,000 professionals—all of whom are eager and ready to provide you and your customers with a great…no, insanely great experience.

I am not sure about other companies, but as far as I could tell from Alorica I believe you can work from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection. The position I was just offered requires an AZ license, but you can work anywhere as long as you work the hours that line up with the AZ time zone schedule. The company is global and has centers in many countries, including Mexico. You would have to ask a recruiter for more information. This is what the website states:
Global Locations

At Alorica, we’re all about people helping people—no matter where they are. Whether you’re looking for nearshore, offshore, in-country or Work-at-Home solutions, our global footprint allows us to scale operations to fit your unique needs across time zones and markets.

Alorica manages one of the largest, most experienced talent pools in the world. We operate an expansive global network of contact centers, with capabilities in 17 countries, at over 150 locations, staffed by more than 100,000 professionals—all of whom are eager and ready to provide you and your customers with a great…no, insanely great experience.
What is the pay difference for remote pharmacists compared to traditional retail if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!

Are there geolocation constraints to where you can work from with your company? For example could you move to an area in rural florida and work via the internet where the cost of living is very low? or even to a different country? thanks

I am a little surprised about the Walgreens accuracy requirement. When my store had phlex, I actually corrected many of their errors (mostly on written dates including C2s). I caught those because I was the one who typed the dates wrong and before I could update the rx to fix it, phlex had already put it in reviewed status with the wrong dates. Sometimes there were 4 drugs on one prescription and they would leave all 4 dates wrong. Does that not count as 4 mistakes?

Are there geolocation constraints to where you can work from with your company? For example could you move to an area in rural florida and work via the internet where the cost of living is very low? or even to a different country? thanks
You can live anywhere in the state that you are hired in.

I wouldn't mind this. Verify scripts on one screen and play CSGO on my gaming PC next to it while wearing a cashmere bathrobe.
You can have the cashmere bathrobe but this job requires most of your attention because the scripts just pop up on your screen pretty much back to back and the timer is running. Listening to music or podcasts is okay but I doubt you'd be able to play video games at the same time.

You can have the cashmere bathrobe but this job requires most of your attention because the scripts just pop up on your screen pretty much back to back and the timer is running. Listening to music or podcasts is okay but I doubt you'd be able to play video games at the same time.

indifferent pharmacist

Nonsense, VA, CVS, and Walgreens hire people all the time to play Pharmacist Simulator (TM), a real RPG*.

*minus the winged fairies, spells, and other crap.

Game features include an engrossing, darkly ominous, and a fascinating exploration of morality versus progress as you try to clear 500+ scripts a day or die trying. Comes with score tracking, real consequences from meaningful choices, life or death decisions, and an endless stream of prescriptions written by a colorful bunch of jerks, weirdos, dinguses, and freaks. You can set your timeclock to quit time:

References:

Papers, Please

Reactions: 3 users

I bet they are counting it as an error when the correct doctor is entered with the wrong address and stuff like that. I've worked with some pharmacists in retail and I am pretty confident that they don't even look at this when verifying. How do I know? When calling for refill requests the doctor's phone number was always wrong.

Verifying less than 1 script a minute and having zero interruptions from home should be easy. I regularly do 30-35 scripts an hour checked and thats product review and data entry review not to mention constant interruptions

Reactions: 1 users
What is the pay difference for remote pharmacists compared to traditional retail if you don't mind me asking? Thanks!
Sorry for the late post. I haven't been on the site for a couple of weeks.
I make about the same as I did when I was PIC in a grocery store chain 4 years ago, though at the time my company filed for bankruptcy and was no longer doing yearly pay raises. I make $55.57/ hour which is maybe a little lower than retail (my guess is $55-60/hour in Phoenix area). I can't complain about the pay for working from home!
After training period, our quota is 50 RX's per hour. We do have to sometimes override copays and check if pt is eligible for autopay, as well as verification and DUR. The client I work for is much easier than others because about 90% of the RX's are 1 of about 50 derm products that go through a rebate program.
No Skype or cameras. No phones or dr calls.
You can live anywhere in the US as long as you have a decent internet connection.
This is my second week of training and no complaints so far!

Sorry for the late post. I haven't been on the site for a couple of weeks.
I make about the same as I did when I was PIC in a grocery store chain 4 years ago, though at the time my company filed for bankruptcy and was no longer doing yearly pay raises. I make $55.57/ hour which is maybe a little lower than retail (my guess is $55-60/hour in Phoenix area). I can't complain about the pay for working from home!
After training period, our quota is 50 RX's per hour. We do have to sometimes override copays and check if pt is eligible for autopay, as well as verification and DUR. The client I work for is much easier than others because about 90% of the RX's are 1 of about 50 derm products that go through a rebate program.
No Skype or cameras. No phones or dr calls.
You can live anywhere in the US as long as you have a decent internet connection.
This is my second week of training and no complaints so far!
Thank you for the tips!!!!
If you dont mind, What was the hiring process like? how many interviews? short, long?

... You need to make sure you understand real estate law in Mexico.

I was hoping they exist and this thread provided a place to start looking, thanks.

Thank you for the tips!!!!
If you dont mind, What was the hiring process like? how many interviews? short, long?
I am going to answer both questions about if we are hiring and the hiring process.
I just looked at Alorica's website and I don't see any remote openings right now. There are a couple of RPh openings but it looks like they are in a Tucson office. I doubt they are hiring for the company we are contracted with, as 2 RPh's were let go after a couple weeks of training. But we are the first group (about 6 of us) to work with this contract and we are getting great feedback so hopefully more can get hired on. Alorica contracts with many companies so I am sure there will be other remote positions in the future.
Alorica posts jobs on Indeed so that is a good place to look. Interestingly enough, my job was not on any of the 50+ emails for job postings I received every week. I sort of serendipitously stumbled upon the position by searching for pharmacist and entering the location as "remote" on Indeed. I was very lucky to have found this job because a week after my interview there was a remote PIC position for Alorica that was on all of the emails I received. I have seen several other remote positions by searching that way in Indeed.
Hiring process: I received an email about 3 weeks after applying from a recruiter wanting to do a phone screening. I believe the qualifications other than state license were at least 2 years in retail and a decent internet connection. I spoke with the recruiter on the phone for about 20 minutes. After that, I had to do a simple internet connection test and send a screen shot. Later that day I had a 45 minute phone interview with the production manager. One week later I received an email and voicemail with an offer for the position. Very simple interview process. Over the phone with no difficult questions or any tests to do.
I would recommend reaching out to a recruiter for the company to contact you with any future openings. Let them know you are interested in a remote position and what state license(s) you hold.
Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 users