DO stigma in South Asian families?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My mother is SouthEAST Asian (from the Philippines), but her mentality is exactly the same as that of the parents I've read about on this thread.

She was apprehensive at first when I told her I was applying DO, but then I enlightened her to the fact that our family physician is a DO - a fact she hadn't been aware of. Now she's quit harping about it. :)

My mother is SouthEAST Asian (from the Philippines), but her mentality is exactly the same as that of the parents I've read about on this thread.

She was apprehensive at first when I told her I was applying DO, but then I enlightened her to the fact that our family physician is a DO - a fact she hadn't been aware of. Now she's quit harping about it. :)

From my own limited , personal experience, I have noticed that south east patients are even more strict than south asian parents. Some of the stories I have heard from my friends about their parents make the stories in this thread seem like a walk in the park. lol:)

Members don't see this ad :)
This is one of the benefits of being Latino. The local community college is on par with Harvard in my parents' eyes.

Reactions: 1 users
Agh my parents refuse to listen to me and constantly tell me that the Caribbean is better than DO.

I wish there were more DO's in my area so I could let them talk to one or something. How incredibly frustrating :mad:

Blame it on the a-a-a-autocorrect.

Agh my parents refuse to listen to me and constantly tell me that the Caribbean is better than DO.

I wish there were more DO's in my area so I could let them talk to one or something. How incredibly frustrating :mad:

They're likely basing the knowledge on the fact that a DO in the rest of the world is very different (more like a natureopath-sp) than in the US. They obviously have zero real clue of what a DO is or does here in the US.

Naturopathic medicine*

Osteopathy, as it is known outside the U.S., is more closely related to what chiropractic is in the U.S..

Naturopathic medicine*

Osteopathy, as it is known outside the U.S., is more closely related to what chiropractic is in the U.S..

Yup. They constantly claim osteopaths are dignified chiropractors.

My strategy come application time is to conveniently leave out the osteopathy part of the school's name when I tell them where I am applying. As far as they're concerned, I'm at a school of medicine.

Yup. They constantly claim osteopaths are dignified chiropractors.

My strategy come application time is to conveniently leave out the osteopathy part of the school's name when I tell them where I am applying. As far as they're concerned, I'm at a school of medicine.

Seems ridiculous that it actually gets to this point with some parents.

Some day you'll have to confess your sins and reveal the credentials you sold your soul to the devil for.

Good luck.

Seems ridiculous that it actually gets to this point with some parents.

Some day you'll have to confess your sins and reveal the credentials you sold your soul to the devil for.

Good luck.

I hope that I can eventually convince them come application time. It really doesn't help that New York state is so MD driven and DO's are few and hard to find (at least around me). Hopefully, finding one to help convince them will change their minds.

I tried the statistics and other methodology but haven't had success with a logical argument towards them. I thankfully have a year to go before I apply so there is that.

This is one of the benefits of being Latino. The local community college is on par with Harvard in my parents' eyes.

HAHAHAHA!!! :laugh: So true!!!

I remember when I got a bad grade in a class and I told my dad about it. He said," It's ok mija! At least you're going!"

So easy to make him proud.

HAHAHAHA!!! :laugh: So true!!!

I remember when I got a bad grade in a class and I told my dad about it. He said," It's ok mija! At least you're going!"

So easy to make him proud.

They just want us to do our best and love our work.

My dad doesn't really like the idea of me becoming a doctor. He'd much rather I become an office rat. I think he's coming around, though. He just wants me to be safe and happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope that I can eventually convince them come application time. It really doesn't help that New York state is so MD driven and DO's are few and hard to find (at least around me). Hopefully, finding one to help convince them will change their minds.

I tried the statistics and other methodology but haven't had success with a logical argument towards them. I thankfully have a year to go before I apply so there is that.

Have you tried showing them profiles of notable osteopathic physicians?

In the end, the degree does not make the doctor. You can shine out with any degree or no degree at all. Just be the best at what you do.

In the end, the degree does not make the doctor. You can shine out with any degree or no degree at all. Just be the best at what you do.

I have tried every method. Ill just have to take out loans to apply to DO schools.

Thanks poetic silence, I'm extremely interested in primary care so DO schools are an excellent option for me and not applying would be a grave mistake on my part.

I have tried every method. Ill just have to take out loans to apply to DO schools.

Thanks poetic silence, I'm extremely interested in primary care so DO schools are an excellent option for me and not applying would be a grave mistake on my part.

I sometimes wish my dream school was an osteopathic medical school. I'd love to learn their philosophies and OMM. My primary interest in pediatrics with either hospice/palliative medicine or hem/onc.

I've grown very attached to this school, though. I love the environment, the doctors and the professors who have all invested their belief in me and keep pushing me to do what I once believed impossible: become one of their league.

OHSU, if you're curious.

Any degree is equivalent to graduating from Harvard. I mean URM status is a godsend when trying to get into med school. I seriously hope in my next life (if karma is real) that I am born as a URM. So many advantages (unless you get caught by the cops). Being Indian sucks, Its just frustrating because nothing is ever good enough in this stupid culture with the stupid cutthroat prestige-driven mentality.

I disagree. I mean sure, degree doesn't always equal prowess. There are several examples of that. But it does make somewhat of a difference. You can't say that a doctor from Harvard Med and a doctor from a DO school are the same. There will be a notable quality of difference in the practice and treatment of patients. If DO did = MD, then perhaps there would be no need for a stigma to even exist. Its just really frustrating to know that even if I manage to get into a great school like NYCOM, that still won't be good enough for my stupid f******* culture.

Reactions: 1 user
You can't say that a doctor from Harvard Med and a doctor from a DO school are the same. There will be a notable quality of difference in the practice and treatment of patients.

stats on this difference?
does harvard med have a set of secret textbooks that they teach their students with?
do harvard docs treat pneumonia with a secret medicine, or perform surgeries using special methods unknown to other surgeons?
there is no question a harvard degree opens doors, but med school is med school pretty much everywhere in the u.s. it's mostly sit and read.

Any degree is equivalent to graduating from Harvard. I mean URM status is a godsend when trying to get into med school. I seriously hope in my next life (if karma is real) that I am born as a URM. So many advantages (unless you get caught by the cops). Being Indian sucks, Its just frustrating because nothing is ever good enough in this stupid culture with the stupid cutthroat prestige-driven mentality.

I disagree. I mean sure, degree doesn't always equal prowess. There are several examples of that. But it does make somewhat of a difference. You can't say that a doctor from Harvard Med and a doctor from a DO school are the same. There will be a notable quality of difference in the practice and treatment of patients. If DO did = MD, then perhaps there would be no need for a stigma to even exist. Its just really frustrating to know that even if I manage to get into a great school like NYCOM, that still won't be good enough for my stupid f******* culture.

I hope you aren't envying me, because you're pretty lucky to have parents that want you to be the best you can be. If they push you, it's because they believe in you and know that you are capable.

There were moments when neither of my parents pushed me, afraid they might break me or something, and I lost confidence in myself. Hey, I made it to college when my father never graduated middle school, but my sister, she's a high school drop out and that kills me everyday.

When I have kids of my own someday, you can bet your butt I'm gonna push them; off a cliff and into success.

You are so misinformed that its funny to read now. I am starting to think that its you who really believes in this stigma more than your parents. Just because there is a stigma, does NOT mean its justified. Open your mind a little bit. Don't fall too much into the whole ivy league school is better than the rest. All doctors, no matter which school they graduate from, are more or less given the exact same education and training. They all have to pass the same boards, same basic science classes, etc.

stats on this difference?
does harvard med have a set of secret textbooks that they teach their students with?
do harvard docs treat pneumonia with a secret medicine, or perform surgeries using special methods unknown to other surgeons?
there is no question a harvard degree opens doors, but med school is med school pretty much everywhere in the u.s. it's mostly sit and read.

:thumbup:

I hope you aren't envying me, because you're pretty lucky to have parents that want you to be the best you can be. If they push you, it's because they believe in you and know that you are capable.

There were moments when neither of my parents pushed me, afraid they might break me or something, and I lost confidence in myself. Hey, I made it to college when my father never graduated middle school, but my sister, she's a high school drop out and that kills me everyday.

When I have kids of my own someday, you can bet your butt I'm gonna push them; off a cliff and into success.

There's a difference between pushing for success and pushing kids for social standing. There's nothing wrong with parents wanting their kids to be the best they can. Im talking about the CULTURAL mentality.

Its considered a "shame" to graduate college at a later age (like I am). Most South Asian premeds don't.

Its a "shame" to enter med school at a later age (god forbid they can't arrange a marriage for you so that they can start bragging about their grandkids to other Indian parents).

Its a "shame" to work low end jobs while retaking classes. How many South Asian premeds do things like this?

Yet these are all things I will have to do in order to get into med school, but in the eyes of my culture, its all very shameful. In the eyes of my culture, I should have a 3.8 a 42S and be in Duke Med when I'm 22. I know so many people from my ****** culture like this, and if you don't fit in, your a cultural reject. That's the point I was trying to make. DO falls in the cultural reject category, which is stupid.

You are so misinformed that its funny to read now. I am starting to think that its you who really believes in this stigma more than your parents. Just because there is a stigma, does NOT mean its justified. Open your mind a little bit. Don't fall too much into the whole ivy league school is better than the rest. All doctors, no matter which school they graduate from, are more or less given the exact same education and training. They all have to pass the same boards, same basic science classes, etc.

Yes. I agree. Like I said, I would be happy to get into ANY (US MD or DO) med school. However, there's a reason why schools like Harvard are so selective and produce leaders in the medical field, even if they are equally competent physicians. The way they are taught and the quality of people at those places are higher. That doesn't necessarily mean that the quality of people at other universities are lower.

There's a difference between pushing for success and pushing kids for social standing. There's nothing wrong with parents wanting their kids to be the best they can. Im talking about the CULTURAL mentality.

Its considered a "shame" to graduate college at a later age (like I am). Most South Asian premeds don't.

Its a "shame" to enter med school at a later age (god forbid they can't arrange a marriage for you so that they can start bragging about their grandkids to other Indian parents).

Its a "shame" to work low end jobs while retaking classes. How many South Asian premeds do things like this?

Yet these are all things I will have to do in order to get into med school, but in the eyes of my culture, its all very shameful. In the eyes of my culture, I should have a 3.8 a 42S and be in Duke Med when I'm 22. I know so many people from my ****** culture like this, and if you don't fit in, your a cultural reject. That's the point I was trying to make. DO falls in the cultural reject category, which is stupid.

I'm glad I'm punjabi. Most others my age are either working at their parents gas station/subway/convenience store, or is a truck driver. Most of the ones that are pursuing med either went to india or caribbean. Getting into DO school in Amrika would be like getting in to harvard.

Sent from my Galaxy S2 via tapatalk

Yes. I agree. Like I said, I would be happy to get into ANY (US MD or DO) med school. However, there's a reason why schools like Harvard are so selective and produce leaders in the medical field, even if they are equally competent physicians. The way they are taught and the quality of people at those places are higher. That doesn't necessarily mean that the quality of people at other universities are lower.

Really, please explain to me how this way of teaching is better than that in other schools? How their style of teaching is different from other schools that are teaching their students pretty much the exact same curriculum?

I think there's certainly an argument to be made that Harvard MDs are better trained at certain more-intellectually robust specialties than others. If for no other reason than anyone who goes there is in a paradigm with much more money than someone who goes to a DO school. Now, it seems equally plausible that a DO can provide superior services in something like family practice just because that's his passion and it's what he has the most experience with. A medical degree is required for both, but a Harvard MD who has no heart for family practice will provide inferior service to a DO who takes his profession seriously.

The sad point the OP makes is that some people miss the fact there is no shame in being an MD or a DO or a Hooters girl--the conversation can quickly turn to one about the meaning of everything, but I for one think it involves human beings learning how to treat other human beings with respect and dignity. The titles that come afterwards are frivolous w/o that fundamental lesson learned.

I think there's certainly an argument to be made that Harvard MDs are better trained at certain more-intellectually robust specialties than others. If for no other reason than anyone who goes there is in a paradigm with much more money than someone who goes to a DO school. Now, it seems equally plausible that a DO can provide superior services in something like family practice just because that's his passion and it's what he has the most experience with. A medical degree is required for both, but a Harvard MD who has no heart for family practice will provide inferior service to a DO who takes his profession seriously.

The sad point the OP makes is that some people miss the fact there is no shame in being an MD or a DO or a Hooters girl--the conversation can quickly turn to one about the meaning of everything, but I for one think it involves human beings learning how to treat other human beings with respect and dignity. The titles that come afterwards are frivolous w/o that fundamental lesson learned.

very well said,

Agree with you 100%. The point I've been trying to make all along is that in South Asian culture, respect only comes after the degree, wealth, and social standing.

@ angel: idk how Harvard is different than other schools. I don't go there FYI. What I do know is that there is a big brand name associated with it which cannot mean that it is "exactly" the same as another school. To say that Harvard students are of a high quality is true. It's a known fact. It doesn't mean non-Harvard students are worthless.

I don't know if to be mad at you for saying such stupid things or be sorry because I see the self-esteem problems oozing from you.

I don't know if to be mad at you for saying such stupid things or be sorry because I see the self-esteem problems oozing from you.

It's a "grass is always greener" thing. Don't take it personally. We each have our own battles.

I agree. Especially that "caught by the cops" line.

Well I mean, look at the prison stats man.

No, come on. To say URM have it easier in life is simply stupid.

By "easier in life" I mean specifically med school admissions. Again, look at the AMCAS statistics. Idk what your complaining about. Your a URM and will probably get in somewhere at some point in your life. You will probably feel good about it and so will your family and friends.

I on the other hand have basically destroyed my chances of MD and have crapshoot chance at DO. Most Indian premeds don't do that. They become successful doctors, just as the sky is blue and the grass is green. That too is a natural phenomena. They usually achieve this earlier than most, and Im stuck around people and family who constantly feel the need to point that out.

Some people (like me) just needed more time to really grow up and get things straight. Its not ok as far as my culture is concerned.

The protocol for us is to graduate and get into a good MD program at an early age. That's what most of us do, and that's what is expected. Anybody who lies on the outside of that, just sucks. So you can see how it can be easier coming from a culture with a reasonable and rational mentality.

But I agree that life isn't easier for any particular race. In my 21 years of living in this world, life as an Indian, Sri Lankan, Latino, Black, White, etc. Is the same. In the long run, it sucks.

It's a "grass is always greener" thing. Don't take it personally. We each have our own battles.

Yea seriously calm the **** down.

Last edited:
It's seriously sad how you don't see how offensive you are. Guess what? Our culture isn't perfect either. I won't go into details about it. I assure you there are people out there that would give an arm and a leg to have going to DO school and upsetting mommy and daddy a little bit over the **** they have had to deal with as minorities in this country. The fact that you know imprisonment of minorities is higher should allow you to deduce there are deeper struggles than you can comprehend.

A word of advice is for you to not go further with this rhetoric. You really don't know what you're talking about and how offensive it is to minorities.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

I don't even know what to say...I have met many bright South Asian students...and many that I wouldn't trust to screw a light-bulb. Some very school obsessed and others couldn't care at all.

I would say most South-Asian students are premed at my University (if not engineering, compsci). However, I can freely admit that there are many that do poorly in the premed courses. Although, their parents maybe very conservative and tough, college provides MOST students with a great degree of freedom which gives the student the option of how to spend his/her time. Just because they are South-Asian it would be foolish to assume they are doing well. I definitely know more South-Asians that have been rejected from medical school or gave-up the premed track, then those that have been accepted.

And if there's one thing you should know about "Aunties" is that they like to embellish the truth.

Also on the matter of respect, everyone deserves a certain basic level of respect as law-abiding citizen of our nation, and for just being a human-being. However, more respect can be gained through accomplishments. At the level of a student, academic excellence deserves respect and it is this same excellence that leads them to further accomplish greater deeds in society.

Last edited:
Just because they are South-Asian it would be foolish to assume they are doing well. I definitely know more South-Asians that have been rejected from medical school or gave-up the premed track, then those that have been accepted.

Really? Thats interesting. I guess up in NY and the northeast at least, south asian premed = future doctor (more specifically future MD). But hey, what do I know? Ive only been south asian for my entire life and have loads of friends and family who were premed but are now very successful young doctors. All I can do is just list example upon example of people to prove your point being incorrect. Other than that, your pretty much spot on mate......:rolleyes:

A word of advice is for you to not go further with this rhetoric. You really don't know what you're talking about and how offensive it is to minorities.

U-MAD-BRO-Arnold-300x298.jpg

Really? Thats interesting. I guess up in NY and the northeast at least, south asian premed = future doctor (more specifically future MD). But hey, what do I know? Ive only been south asian for my entire life and have loads of friends and family who were premed but are now very successful young doctors. All I can do is just list example upon example of people to prove your point being incorrect. Other than that, your pretty much spot on mate......:rolleyes:

U-MAD-BRO-Arnold-300x298.jpg

You've got to be joking. I go to a fairly large university and as expected a large amount of the south asians are "premed" yet i know most of them don't have the willpower and dedication required to achieve B+-A grades. The same applies to all races.

Seriously, DO or MD, you should do what you want and not what your parents want. As a fellow South Asian, you can't please them all your life. Yeah okay mom wants u to be a doctor, u go and be a doctor. What next, she wants three kids and you to have an indian wife, seriously where are the limits. Do what you want in life and be who you wanna be. Your indian parents will not be alive forever and just as they came to this country and adjusted to strange things, theyre gonna adjust to you. I've been around several south Asian DOs as well as MDs and honest I've seen happier SA DO's than MDs :)

Seriously, DO or MD, you should do what you want and not what your parents want. As a fellow South Asian, you can't please them all your life. Yeah okay mom wants u to be a doctor, u go and be a doctor. What next, she wants three kids and you to have an indian wife, seriously where are the limits. Do what you want in life and be who you wanna be. Your indian parents will not be alive forever and just as they came to this country and adjusted to strange things, theyre gonna adjust to you. I've been around several south Asian DOs as well as MDs and honest I've seen happier SA DO's than MDs :)

My parents actually didn't want me to go into medicine because of the bolded reason. They thought it would take too long for them to arrange my marriage (lol) so that they could have grandkids. Your right, its like my life is supposed to be about pleasing them which is just really really tiresome. Anyway, after I chose to commit to medicine, then they just want their prestige-driven minds to focus on getting into the best MD school and being the best MD and being in the top 10 doctor ranking, and this ranking, and that ranking. Its the stupidest mentality ive ever seen. Im going to be so chill when I have kids I swear. They are paying for my education though, so I guess they have a right to make demands. I just wish they would open their minds instead of being the stereotypical close minded prestige driven desis (aka Indians).

Maybe its just because im surrounded by south asians who happen to be in top MD schools at a young age, so I just assumed that was the norm. Ive never met a SA DO, Ive never even met an SA nontrad so while I believe what I see, I can't deny what I haven't seen either.

That stigma you think exists is because your a premed.

And a lot of people in NY, specifically indian parents, do not hate on DO indian students as much as you think. Things are coming around.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this thread exists, not happy that people have to deal with this, but more so that there are others like me dealing with this.

Here's to a gujju indian who similarly feels this pain, with parents who albeit are very supportive, has an extended family who decries being a DO because they are "fake" doctors. WTF? How does one even acknowledge this.

Mind you a couple of weeks ago my grandfather was bleeding out immensely, and the doc who saved his life in the ER that night was a DO. When I told him, he (my uncle) failed to acknowledge that and changed the subject.

Today I told my parents I got into medical school (NYCOM, woo!), and my sister cried out that's not a real medical school.

Looking for some advice, and if not, this thread shall remain a place where I can simply, and anonymously vent. F*** being Indian (although I love my heritage and culture), I hate much of the attitudes and viewpoints my parents have tried instilled in me.

Last edited:
You can't say that a doctor from Harvard Med and a doctor from a DO school are the same. There will be a notable quality of difference in the practice and treatment of patients.

Haven't you heard? Harvard-trained physicians have an aura of prestige with cancer-curing properties that students from low-tier MDs and DO schools just don't have!

Stop caring. When you get your board certification as a cardiologist or whatever, will they give a damn that you used a DO degree to get there? Just let it go, move forward, and years down the road when you've got results to show for your hard work, it won't matter where you went to school.

/thread

Reactions: 2 users
Tell them to do some research on what a DO is.

I'm pleasantly surprised that this thread exists, not happy that people have to deal with this, but more so that there are others like me dealing with this.
Here's to a gujju indian who similarly feels this pain, with parents who albeit are very supportive, has an extended family who decries being a DO because they are "fake" doctors. WTF? How does one even acknowledge this.
Mind you a couple of weeks ago my grandfather was bleeding out immensely, and the doc who saved his life in the ER that night was a DO. When I told him, he (my uncle) failed to acknowledge that and changed the subject.
Today I told my parents I got into medical school (NYCOM, woo!), and my sister cried out that's not a real medical school.
Looking for some advice, and if not, this thread shall remain a place where I can simply, and anonymously vent. F*** being Indian (although I love my heritage and culture), I hate much of the attitudes and viewpoints my parents have tried instilled in me.

duuuude this thread is 2.5 years old

also, you're becoming an adult now. if your parents dont' like the way you are going with your life, time to move on as harsh as that sounds.

Reactions: 2 users
Wow I didn't know there was the stigma of DOs being "fake" doctors among Indian parents... that sucks, but I do believe that will wane as the years go on and people realize that DOs are still doing the same things as MDs.
As a southeast asian with horribly strict parents, I'm so glad my parents didn't know what a DO was. I got to explain to them that they're doctors and the same as MD's but we just train differently and additionally learn to do manipulations (which they compared to chiropracty(sp?) and physical therapy, whatever floats their boats).

Since I am of this ethnicity, I will comment. I am thankful to god my mom actually knows what a DO is and is 100% supportive of me going to osteopathic medical school, or MEDICAL SCHOOL for short. She has an acquaintance that is a DO and knows they are DOCTORS! There are Indian families that understand this, but to be fair, there are also families that don't (the families that don't are in the majority).

To those of you struggling to get your families approval, just keep at it. Give them any statistic you can get your hands on. This will be a real battle of wills at this point to convince them. Just keep at it for as long as possible. From what I have understood from SDN is that, family support is really important when in medical school. You want your parents and other members to be in as close to 100% as possible. This will make the whole journey that much easier.

However, at the end of the day, it is your choice. You know that DOs are doctors and no one can tell you otherwise. Even if they don't approve of it, just do it. Hopefully, seeing you go through the hurdles of medical school will change their minds. Good luck to you!

Last edited:
This business about race is interesting.

I am as white as they get. My pop ardently fought for me to NOT apply to DO schools - for the very reasons that people have mentioned (they dont seem like real doctors, crap like that). But meanwhile he has been going to his "doctor," a NP that was grandfathered in years ago (so does not even have a doctorate in nursing).

Honestly, most people are just plain ignorant, thats all it is. They talk about what they know and thats about how far their conversations can take them. Take it in stride, do what you need to do, and just get on with life, seriously who cares with your parents think - regardless of race?

Reactions: 1 users
This business about race is interesting.

I am as white as they get. My pop ardently fought for me to NOT apply to DO schools - for the very reasons that people have mentioned (they dont seem like real doctors, crap like that). But meanwhile he has been going to his "doctor," a NP that was grandfathered in years ago (so does not even have a doctorate in nursing).

Honestly, most people are just plain ignorant, thats all it is. They talk about what they know and thats about how far their conversations can take them. Take it in stride, do what you need to do, and just get on with life, seriously who cares with your parents think - regardless of race?
Grandfathered into what?